Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

16" wheel or 45 profile tire thread

Hey guys...

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen a thread of ST's on 16" wheels (just random pics scattered through various threads).

On almost every one of my previous cars I thought minus sized wheels looked terrible. For some reason the body of the FiST is designed in such a way that 16" wheels with a meaty tire actually looks dang good if you ask me. And even doing larger diameter tires (more sidewall) doesn't look bad. Obviously the enhanced ride quality and protection against potholes, makes me want to really think about it as a year round setup. If you've done this, please post a picture, and also list your tire size.

I'd actually go with 205/50/16 which I know is 3% larger overall diameter than the stock 205/40/17.

Other option is to stick with 17" wheels but go 205/45/17 (should improve ride quality while still looking good). Oddly enough the cost between the 16 or 17" setup would practically be the same.

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
K757 - saw another pic of your car on another forum - looks very good. Oddly enough I feel like I was one of the first cars to have those sparcos so I do like them on alot of cars (I had the gray GTI which comes up in google when you search those wheels) I know you're selling the sparcos - are you sticking with 16" wheels and just getting a different style?

K757 - saw another pic of your car on another forum - looks very good. Oddly enough I feel like I was one of the first cars to have those sparcos so I do like them on alot of cars (I had the gray GTI which comes up in google when you search those wheels) I know you're selling the sparcos - are you sticking with 16" wheels and just getting a different style?
Thanks
Style. The 16 is a nice size

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
I can add to my own thread now. Focus SVT wheels with 205/45/17. I LOVE the look, and think the 45 profile makes the car look like it has a very very small drop. Wish the wheels were lighter and wish the offset was more like +42 or 40. But these were a sweeeeeeeeet craigslist deal and I can't complain! Also, in some ways I love having an oem ford wheel (OEM plus kinda look).

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
I love those wheels also. You don't like the offset though? They stick out too much?
No kip I wish they stuck out more. I think the offset is around the stock wheels +48 or +49. It would look better at +40 or 42. The multi spoke design fits the ST so well though... and I love how the color is like OEM rado gray (although I love black wheels, the orange is already flashy enough)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Oh okay. I always forget that about the offset. And I've always loved those wheels. The more I see them the more I want them especially with 45 series tires. Might be my new summer set up. Wish they were lighter though but I'm just going for looks anyway.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Here is 215/40/17 on +42 17x7 with about a .6" drop on coilovers

Here is 205/45/17 on +42 17x7 with a 1.5" drop on coilovers

Here is 205/45/17 on +42 17x7 with all stock suspension

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
Love your car razor....

Kip - I look at it as a swap for the oem wheels. They're ford, they're similar weight and offset. To be hoenst I wanted 16" motegi mr-125's in black, cause I wanted more sidewall (I actually like the beefy look on our cars). But this local craigslist popped up on the SVT wheels, tires, and tpms...and I couldn't say no (cause I really like the style of wheel).

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Yeah I like those too. Just wish the 125s came in dark silver color in 16s, not just the black.

And razor, any comments on the ride and handling of each tire?

razorlab

1000 Post Club
And razor, any comments on the ride and handling of each tire?
Yes but it's not apples to apples.

The 205/45/17 is the Bridgestone S04, my favorite Max Performance street tire. Great ride, quiet as heck, great grip for the street, good in rain.

The 215/40/17 is the Dunlop ZII Star Spec, a Extreme Performance tire and doesn't hide it. Amazing grip, loud as hell (think 10,000 angry bees chasing you) and very stiff sidewalls. If I was younger I could drive them on the street, but the ride to and from the race track is enough for me now. ;)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'll probably be going with the S04s. I haven't heard anything bad about them. I've been looking at the extreme contacts by continental but I think I'll just go with the Bridgestones.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Are those the sport line wheels? I was looking at those in 16 or 17 for next spring/summer. And is your car lowered at all?

Manonfire... To be fair your car is lowered right?
Are those the sport line wheels? I was looking at those in 16 or 17 for next spring/summer. And is your car lowered at all?
They are the Sport Edition SE-17 wheels from TireRack 16 x 7.5 @ 18lbs. Got them for my winter wheels, but since I don't have to drive in the snow I put all seasons on them. The car is lowered on coilovers. I will buy something else in the spring for summer wheels.