Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BoostBumps RaceRed Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #201
Alright. Hopefully you don't have the issue same as me. I have had the breather/filter on for less than 50 miles and have had the oil accumulation issue. CFM recommends drilling a little hole to allow any accumulated oil to drain back into the breather. Just an FYI; and thanks again for all the help and info.

Back on topic: NICE BUILD!!
Hey thanks!!

Yeah I've read that a small minority on the FoST forum reported the same...So far mine is working very well even with frequent +25psi pulls I've been doing lately during tuning runs...Guess its dependent on the amount of blow-by your experiencing...

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #202
OCC Empty @ +500miles

Update:

OCC check after only +500miles of having new OCC and CFM baffled breather cap installed...

OCC Empty 500 miles.jpg

JPGC

2000 Post Club
BoostBump's RaceRed Build Thread

I ended up putting the oil cap back on a while back as I was seeing 2x the amount of oil in my can with the breather installed. It was either due to the breather or the Royal purple 5w-30 I used that oil change. I went back to my AMSOIL 5w-30 and the oil cap and the oil in the catch can is back to normal. I may empty the catch can soon and try the breather again with the AMSOIL. Now back to your awesome build :)

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #204
I ended up putting the oil cap back on a while back as I was seeing 2x the amount of oil in my can with the breather installed. It was either due to the breather or the Royal purple 5w-30 I used that oil change. I went back to my AMSOIL 5w-30 and the oil cap and the oil in the catch can is back to normal. I may empty the catch can soon and try the breather again with the AMSOIL. Now back to your awesome build :)
Hey Roger!

hmmm...that's interesting to hear...could also be the ethanol combined with the colder weather over the winter contributing to the increase in accumulation as well...

I still am not seeing any issues with my breather cap since I installed it with no obvious signs of oil residue accumulation on top surface of baffle....I pretty much still check it a few times a week! So far I'm very pleased with it...

I am also running Pennzoil Platinum and have taken care as not to overfill as well...I filled my oil levels such that the level seen on the dipstick is exactly between the top and bottom arrows...FWTW...

oh I should add that during all this I also make a habit at least once or twice daily to do a WOT (from 2500~4000 rpm) to peak boost to ~25psi....Vacuum levels @ idle still -10psi and @ cruising (briefly off throttle) ~ -11.8psi (Sea Level)

MOFiST

I am also running Pennzoil Platinum and have taken care as not to overfill as well...I filled my oil levels such that the level seen on the dipstick is exactly between the top and bottom arrows...FWTW...
Curiously do you recall how much litres that was after draining? I noticed mine seems a little over after the dealer fill. I wonder if I should put a helpful sticker on the oil cap. Lol

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #206
Curiously do you recall how much litres that was after draining? I noticed mine seems a little over after the dealer fill. I wonder if I should put a helpful sticker on the oil cap. Lol
It was just a touch over 4.0 qts (3.79 liters)...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Hey Roger!

hmmm...that's interesting to hear...could also be the ethanol combined with the colder weather over the winter contributing to the increase in accumulation as well...

I still am not seeing any issues with my breather cap since I installed it with no obvious signs of oil residue accumulation on top surface of baffle....I pretty much still check it a few times a week! So far I'm very pleased with it...

oh I should add that during all this I also make a habit at least once or twice daily to do a WOT (from 2500~4000 rpm) to peak boost to ~25psi....Vacuum levels @ idle still -10psi and @ cruising (briefly off throttle) ~ -11.8psi (Sea Level)
Yeah...I'm still convinced it's the Royal Purple that caused it. The stuff just shears quickly on turbo engines. At least with my old WRX it did. I'm trying to get a good measurement with the Amsoil and cap first...then I will test the breather filter again.

Izzy

Thoughts?

BoostBumps,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread here's my experience with CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather. I've had it for about a month and have cleaned it 4 times now with about the same amount. Could it be caused by over filling? Drilling a hole in it as suggested seems like the part as a whole is flawed. Also, I've yet to change the oil and plan to use AMSOIL 5w-20 (already purchased), but notice in your thread 5w-30 instead. Is there a benefit to running the added weight vs the OEM weight? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #211
BoostBumps,

Didn't mean to hijack your thread and I will gladly delete it once answered, but since not to many of us are running the CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather just wanted to verify if the oil accumulation is normal. I've had it for about a month and have cleaned it 4 times now with about the same amount. Could it be caused by over filling? I've yet to change the oil and plan to use AMSOIL 5w-20 (already purchased), but notice in your thread 5w-30 instead. I there a benefit to running the added weight vs the OEM weight? Thanks in advance.
No prob...

And Yikes!...My breather cap still continues to remain clean and free of oil (I check it very often)....I also did take care as to not overfill when I change my oil and my levels (per dipstick visual) remain between two indicators...I'm also using Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 (I probably typed in 30 by mistake)...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A bit of overfill should not be an issue with this engine, layout, windage tray, etc....in fact I purposely overfill a bit for the track on some engines, this one should be fine though so have not done it as have not heard of any starvation issues.

Izzy

Thanks for the reply... I'll see how it goes once I do my own oil change. Hopefully it stops doing it as I would really hate to drill a hole in it. Would a CC help? dont have one yet and didn't see oil in my OEM intake when I changed it, but if I see some in the IC pipes when I upgrade in a few weeks I will definitely consider it.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #214
Thanks for the reply... I'll see how it goes once I do my own oil change. Hopefully it stops doing it as I would really hate to drill a hole in it. Would a CC help? dont have one yet and didn't see oil in my OEM intake when I changed it, but if I see some in the IC pipes when I upgrade in a few weeks I will definitely consider it.

I just ran out to the garage and snapped a pic of mine closeup ...this is just over 1000 miles on it...

Breather Cap closeup 1000miles.jpg

I do have an OCC installed...And I recently drained the OCC at 500 miles (1st inspection) and as you can see its definitely capturing oil residue in the PCV line...

OCC Empty 500 miles.jpg

Also I recently had my IC pipes off and looked for any signs of oil and hadn't seen any residual oil in them either as some have reported seeing...

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #215
3" Intake Air Duct Extension Installed (DIY)

Ram Air Duct 1a.jpg

Ram Air Duct With Foam Insulation.jpg

Ram Air Duct 2.jpg

Ram Air Duct 3.jpg

Ram Air Duct 4a.jpg

Snorkel evaluation based on before and after comparisons of "Ambient" / "Intake" / "Charge" temps logged during a 20 min idle soak and at hwy (70mph) cruising speeds:

Snorkel Evaluation.jpg

On a side note... I find there are some that just focus on absolute hp gains achieved for each little mod made and are not as concerned with improving overall system efficiencies which eventually do add up to improved overall performance... In addition, considering that I myself live in an extremely dry and hot climate (particularly during our summer months here) even a ~7 degree improvement in intake air temps is very much appreciated considering it only cost ~$7.00...

[HR][/HR]
Also interesting to note is that within our ECU programming you'll find that max allowable loads and closed wastegate (Boost) compensations are somewhat dependent on Intake Air Temps...

Max. Load at WOT and Closed WG Comp. (IAT)

This compensation is applied to the result of the Max. Load at WOT and Closed WG (Table 01-15 / Optimum Power) tables as part of the calculation to create the Load Max. Achievable monitor.

IAT Load Comp.jpg

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #216
CP-E Ram AirBox 3" Intake System Installed

CPE satin black.jpg

cp-e-intake snorkel locations.jpg

CP-E intake installed 4a.jpg

CP-E intake installed 5a.jpg

CP-E intake installed 8a.jpg

CP-E intake installed 9a.jpg

Haven't really had time to thoroughly evaluate yet...but so far extremely pleased....

CP-E's intake is definitely louder than both OEM and the Cobb intakes I had installed....And build quality is amazing...

There's 4 main aspects of CP-E’s new CAI which differ from that of both the OEM and COBB (last intake installed) that I do appreciate:

1) Larger enclosed airbox design with a secondary 3” diameter lower snorkel inlet air tube

2) Larger 4” ID wide mouth conical filter design (outer filter dimensions are approx. 6” dia x 6” L)

3) CP-E’s Conical Filter incorporates the use of a CNC velocity stack bellmouth insert which smoothly compresses the air by gently reducing the filter ID from 4” to 3” to match the 3” diameter intake tubing

4) And most important of course is its show quality aesthetics! :)

I will be evaluating other aspects over the next week....

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #218
Cool Pics looking forward to your thoughts on this set up ..
I just finished up installing the new intake...

I already have results for the 3" upper DIY air duct that I installed a few days ago (see recent post in this thread) and will also be evaluating the new intake over the next week...

Initial impressions...Installation of CP-E's Intake was fairly straight forward and I'm extremely pleased with the build quality....

Status
Not open for further replies.