Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BoostBumps RaceRed Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Purchased AccessTuner Race yesterday...Fairly straight forward and relatively easy to use....However, still quite a bit to learn and sort through which is the fun part!

Already began by generating 5-way map switching for various ethanol blends...I'm starting off conservatively here using Cobb's OTS stg3 as the base map with slight changes made to stoich, fuel targets, global timing, boost targets depending on ethanol percentage and will refine further after more data is logged...Still very much a work in progress...

View attachment 3250

And special thanks to Razor for posting a general outline in link below...

Razor's ethanol % map switching guide

[HR][/HR]
Helpful links...

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

View attachment 3137

View attachment 3138
I considered this, but I'm not so sure I'm gonna do it as accidentally running the wrong tune with the wrong ethanol % would be too easy to do.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #143
I considered this, but I'm not so sure I'm gonna do it as accidentally running the wrong tune with the wrong ethanol % would be too easy to do.

I will be installing an ethanol % sensor similar to yours very soon...I want to have the flexibility of switching tunes based on ethanol % read out...

Mixing percentages has been pretty straight forward...So far e20 tune is producing great results...on to e40 tuning very soon and then i'll extrapolate between the 2 tunes for e30...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I will be installing an ethanol % sensor similar to yours...I want to have the flexibility of switching tunes based on ethanol % read out...

Mixing percentages has been pretty straight forward...
The mixing is easy:)... I'm talking about accidentally selecting the wrong slot on the accessport. That would be way too easy and could be catastrophic.

I use one of the gauges slots on my access port to show what map I am running at any given time...easy to keep track this way

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #145
The mixing is easy:)... I'm talking about accidentally selecting the wrong slot on the accessport. That would be way too easy and could be catastrophic.

I use one of the gauges slots on my access port to show which map slot I am running at any given time...easy to keep track this way

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #147

Also I monitor timing corr. cyl #1 and knock cyl #1 along with the map slot selected just to play it safe....

Hoping Cobb will provide us with auto map selection based on ethanol percentage in the future similar to what they do with the Subie's and GTR's...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Also I monitor timing corr. cyl #1 and knock cyl #1 along with the map slot selected just to play it safe....

Hoping Cobb will provide us with auto map selecting based on ethanol percentage in the future!
When I'm logging, I usually log all 4 cylinders for ign correction because while tuning there can be a difference between them. Once the tune is complete, I usually monitor ign corr in cyl 1, air/fuel, boost, oil temp, charge temp. Sometimes I'll watch knock, but it usually correlates with the ign correction.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #149
When I'm logging, I usually log all 4 cylinders for ign correction because while tuning there can be a difference between them. Once the tune is complete, I usually monitor ign corr in cyl 1, air/fuel, boost, oil temp, charge temp. Sometimes I'll watch knock, but it usually correlates with the ign correction.
yes....when logging I also do the same...So far I'm pleased with what e20 has yielded and pretty much have completed most of the e20 tuning ....As I mentioned earlier I'm on to e40 next which is high as I'm going to take ethanol %...I'll develop the e30 tune by extrapolating results between e20 and e40 tunes....As this is primarily a daily driver for me I'll probably be staying between e20and e30...actually e20 feels amazing as is...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
yes....when logging I also do the same...So far I'm pleased with what e20 has yielded and pretty much have completed most of the e20 tuning ....As I mentioned earlier I'm on to e40 next which is high as I'm going to take ethanol %...I'll develop the e30 tune by extrapolating results between e20 and e40 tunes....As this is primarily a daily driver for me I'll probably be staying between e20and e30...actually e20 feels amazing as is...
Nice, my daily driver as well. I know what you mean.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #151
As a few folks who have already tuned their FiSTs with ethanol in the past have said...Ethanol is truly amazing and quite forgiving...I've never seen my boost profiles and timing advances along with positive ignition timing corrections as consistent and well behaved as this (shown below) on good ol' CA 91 knocktane...

e20 / 4th gear / WOT / 2000~6000rpm

e20 tune results.png

Ignition timing (e20): +16 deg @ ~6000rpm

Boost: +24psi @ ~2500rpm to ~3700rpm / +20psi from ~2350rpm to ~5000rpm / +15.5psi @ ~6000rpm

Ignition corrections (cyl's 1-4): +5's @ ~6000rpm...

I think what I have so far is fairly conservative...Although looking at all the data I've logged to date it does appear as if I'm getting fairly close to point of diminishing returns (at least for e20) using MBT as a tuning strategy...As I recall Razor saying he found using e40 was pretty much at the upper limits with e45 not really yielding much more...I'll probably want to keep somewhere between an e20~e30 mix myself...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
BoostBump's RaceRed Build Thread

Looks good, yeah, the ethanol is good stuff. Too bad it is a pain to drive and get, at least for me, or I would run it 100% of the time. Right now, I will run 93 E10 90% of the time, then switch to E30 when I can.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #153
Looks good, yeah, the ethanol is good stuff. Too bad it is a pain to drive and get, at least for me, or I would run it 100% of the time. Right now, I will run 93 E10 90% of the time, then switch to E30 when I can.
I have a 5 gal container I fill up and store...Currently the nearest ethanol station for me is ~22 miles away...but within the next few months we have another one opening up ~5 miles away...

I've gotten used to carrying a smaller 2 gal container of ethanol to the regular pump gas station which I have it marked at 1 gallon ...When I fill up I usually add either a 1 to 6 mix or 2 to 10 mix which lands me around ~+20%...I'm really looking forward to getting the ethanol percent kit install soon...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I have a 5 gal container I fill up and store...Currently the nearest ethanol station for me is ~22 miles away...but within the next few months we have another one opening up ~5 miles away...

I've gotten used to carrying a smaller 2 gal container of ethanol to the regular pump gas station which I have it marked at 1 gallon ...When I fill up I usually add either a 1 to 6 mix or 2 to 10 mix which lands me around ~+20%...I'm really looking forward to getting the ethanol percent kit install soon...
Me too! Lol. Except my closest station is 40 miles away and I commute roughly 50 miles a day. I go through the 5 gallons quickly. Got to pay to play though.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #155
Me too! Lol. Except my closest station is 40 miles away and I commute roughly 50 miles a day. I go through the 5 gallons quickly. Got to pay to play though.
And I'm sure you've discovered as I have the stuff is addicting as the FiST runs soooo much better! Once you start its hard to stop....I need my ethanol.... LOL!!!

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #157
Lathe Werks Black Copolymer Shift Knob for Fiesta ST

Installed new Lathe Werks Copolymer Shift Knob

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=41_70&products_id=342

Custom Specs:

- Copolymer material (will not get hot or cold)
- 2.0" diameter for comfortable size
- 6 large grooves around knob for improved grip
- Smooth black luster finish
- Internal threading provides a quick screw-on installation
- Strong strip-resistant brass threads
- Recess underneath allows for reverse gear function

Installed:

LW Shift Knob.jpg

Underside:

LW Shift Knob Underside.jpg

Comparisons (Lathe Werks vs. Stock vs. Cobb)

LW vs Cobb vs Stock.jpg

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #160
Hey thanks guys!

I'm very pleased with the new WCLW knob ...High quality workmanship and has a very nice feel and grip to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.