Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear Motor Mount Question

I've done some reading and found that the Cobb RMM is a "must do" upgrade. I'm just curious if anyone has tried filling the stock RMM with urethane as an alternative to the Cobb? I've done it on another vehicle and it worked great for stiffening things up under the hood of my car.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I heard those are a temporary fix. For 155 bucks might as well get the whole package and call it a day. Especially if everybody who owns the car says it's a must have mod. Just my 2 cents.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I've done some reading and found that the Cobb RMM is a "must do" upgrade. I'm just curious if anyone has tried filling the stock RMM with urethane as an alternative to the Cobb? I've done it on another vehicle and it worked great for stiffening things up under the hood of my car.
In that case, you would probably be better off just getting one of the inserts sold if you want to save money on this mod. I just a bit more work than just swapping it with the Cobb, Boomba, etc.

OP
JC1378
Thread Starter #4
$155 vs $6...I'm not talking about urethane inserts, I'm talking about filling the mount with black urethane, it's called window weld.

$155 vs $6...I'm not talking about urethane inserts, I'm talking about filling the mount with black urethane, it's called window weld.
i know what youre talking about. alot of honda guys do this to save a buck. they way i look at it, if youre trying to hook up your 95 civic, sure, go ghetto on it. if you have a brand new 23k dollar car, drop the $150 and do it right. youll thank yourself later

CanadianST

Like the others have said, just go buy the COBB mount it's only $150 and makes a world of difference. Would probably take you longer to put the urethane in than change it, takes all of 5 minutes.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
It has been done in the past before RMM were readily available. Some had good luck other had the stuff fall apart and needed to be redone. I went the 2J- Racing route and replace my insert with the delrin hard insert though some reported bad vibes with it I did not find it bad at all though while tuning the car we swapped back to stock to eleminate any chance of false knock as we were chasing a inconsistancy in the car which probably was a load of bad gas I have just been too lazy to swap it back.
If you are willing to try what the heck it is really no different than the DIY air box mod or My DIY oil catch can .. If you are happy with it who cares. and if it works and you save $$ for other spendy Mods or buying a Forum Tee shirt even better ;) LOL (like that forum plug I threw in there?)

C. love

I was just thinking about this today actually. The 24k car vs a honda comment is dumb IMO. Ive done the urethane mod to many cars and its a mid ground thing. Its no different than adding a zip tie in urethane mount which is very popular on many cars more money than our fiestas.

So why is the cobb insert a "must do". Does response increase? maybe the car just drives better?

My car feels sloppy, for a lack of better terms. I was thinking some more solid mounts might do the trick.

C. love

since no one answered this thread and shipping on every damn insert was 20 bucks (which is compete and utter bull shit) I spent 10 bucks on some urethane glass adhesive. mounts will be filled by tomorrow I will post results. Since ive done this on several cars i know it works just need to see how it works on the fiesta. I will probably make a thread on the process

OP
JC1378
Thread Starter #10
Sorry guys I have been busy with work lately...I plan to do this as soon as I get some time...C. love, let me know how it goes...I have done this myself on my previous cars and it works great so why wouldn't it work for our fiesta's...plus saving money in the process :)

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I've done the urethane thing, it works ok. A bit zingy though. Running a Power flex now-black.

Engine mount.1.jpg

RMM 9.jpg

ST Engine Mount.jpg

Opps, wrong image.

RMM 3.jpg

OP
JC1378
Thread Starter #12
What do you mean by "a bit zingy" Sekred?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Vibration was a bit harsh, rear view mirror shakes a little, tingle through the seat and steering wheel at certain rpms.
Got a little better with miles.

C. love

only time ive had one bust was on my drift car. 400hp and clutch kicks for something like 4 years will do that though. I think on these little cars if you clean the bushing you will be good to go for years

C. love

i get windsheild uretahne. you can get it at any windsheild repair place.

sekred what kind of urethane is that? dont look like windsheild urethane

OP
JC1378
Thread Starter #17
The stuff I've used is called window weld by 3M...runs about $10-$12 at auto parts stores