Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Motor Trend 2014 Best Driver's Car

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
They keep posting hot laps and Randy's comments each day this week on a few cars each day. Here's the Fiesta ST write up. I don't agree about the light steering, to be honest. To the fact our car is mentioned in with this elite group of vehicles is awesome if you ask me.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1409_2014_best_drivers_car_contenders_part_3/viewall.html

Here's another example of tons of fun in a tiny package. Ford's Team RS in Europe helped its homegrown SVT division to build the 197-hp pocket rocket in much the same vein as the awe-some Focus ST. They honed its footwork substantially with a modified front knuckle, quicker steering ratio, sharpened Torque Vectoring Control, stiffer dampers and springs, and a lowered ride height. They gave it a meaner look, model-specific 17-inch alloys, and Recaro buckets. With 177 of the total 202 lb-ft of torque made by the 1.6-liter Ecoboost inline-four available at just 1600 rpm, the front-wheel drive Fiesta ST is fun incarnate from the get-go.

Randy's Take
On the engine: It's a small, wide, front-wheel drive and the power is reasonable. Fairly -- it's got good mid-range. It'll rev a little bit. It's not a real revvy engine. Once it gets over 6000 it gets kind of lazy, and once it's over 6500, I'm kind of waiting for the redline.

On the grip: This car to the seat of my pants it didn't feel like it generated the kind of grip that the supercars do. And I sort of blame the tires, but we just looked at them and they're Potenzas -- Bridgestone Potenzas with the 140 treadwear rating sounds pretty aggressive. But it felt like there was a lot of squirm, like it was a tire that would benefit from being shaved. And that the car would definitely benefit from a tire with more grip I think.

On the steering: The steering is light. It doesn't have a ton of feel and it definitely doesn't build feel as you turn, but it's accurate enough to be predictable every lap. I had a really good feeling of being able to put the car exactly where I wanted and that I know where it's going to be by the end of the corner.

Overall: It was really easy to drive fast, a very rewarding and fun car. It reminded me of some of the front-drive cars that I grew up with only better. It's better than the Focus ST.
[video=youtube;8MiMyfFvX0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MiMyfFvX0c[/video]

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I actually agree with pretty much every word he put down-especially in regards to the tires.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
They keep posting hot laps and Randy's comments each day this week on a few cars each day. Here's the Fiesta ST write up. I don't agree about the light steering, to be honest. To the fact our car is mentioned in with this elite group of vehicles is awesome if you ask me.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1409_2014_best_drivers_car_contenders_part_3/viewall.html
On track I 100% agree with the light steering. It's also pretty vague on track compared to other cars, especially mid corner.

Disclaimer is that I'm spoiled by Evo steering, which is one of the best in the business.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
No real surprises as far as the review goes .... But where the real surprise came for me was that the FiST even made it into this review along with this group of higher end sports cars...Now that alone was quite a statement made...

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I agree with the steering comments... The steering wheel will not tell you WTF is going on when you turn in. But, that's when you learn to use other inputs to know what's happening; the chassis communicates well enough to teach you the limits.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Damn. I didn't know that steering changed that much on the track. I stand corrected. On the street the steering feels amazing, to me at least.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Damn. I didn't know that steering changed that much on the track. I stand corrected. On the street the steering feels amazing, to me at least.
Are there some mountain roads locally? Or just some good twisties in general? Go push through them. You might lose some confidence in what you're doing because you feel unsure of what the car can handle. Then you'll know what we're talking about it. But otherwise, just cruising around it feels great.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
hmmm I missed the bad track steering memo on this car. Other than that weird motions of the TorqueVectoring on the rear when braking and cornering I found the car Very fun to track..
But i do have a better set of wheels and tires than stock for tracking that may play into it

razorlab

1000 Post Club
hmmm I missed the bad track steering memo on this car. Other than that weird motions of the TorqueVectoring on the rear when braking and cornering I found the car Very fun to track..
But i do have a better set of wheels and tires than stock for tracking that may play into it
I'm not saying it isn't fun to track, just some observations around the steering feedback. It's basically the unfortunate nature of electric steering. The FiST is one of the better ones for sure, but it can't compare to a great non electric steering like an Evo or an Elise/Exige

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Just get on some twisties and it'll become obvious. The steering in and of itself doesn't exactly inspire confidence. For me it's hard to tell how much input you need for what. A little bit might be too much or not enough. It's vague.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
hmmmm you should have driven some of the junk I have driven if you want to see Vague .. LOL I do miss my 96 Geo Metro 3cyl.. lol

I think its impressive that they chosen the ST to even review, let alone make it to their list.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am going to read that next but in the mean time....

I was amazed at the feedback I get for an electric system but I have more caster via the PowerFlex rear front control arm bushing and I have all the rest of their bushings as well as shimmed my rack to eliminate the flex in the stock bushings there.

I was not planning on more caster but I had to add more or take some away with their bushings so I added more but I generally like quite a bit of it.

I have not tracked the car but have tracked many and learned to be very fast in Vettes using other sensor feedback since they have poor steering fell but stick like glue. I upgraded all bushings on my last one and had a billet aluminum rack bushing and then had very good but not great feedback so it was easier to go fast in that car.

------------------

Idea, the FiST is not a heavy car, maybe I can figure out how to disable the PS for the track days and not induce an overly heavy steering feel, I will see about a pulling the fuse as the first step, if that worked I could just put a switch on the dash to turn it on and off....

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Another idea, if the steering is not directly coupled to the rack then remove the system, make a shaft to connect it, see how bad it is on the street....but I would hope it is directly coupled or we could not steer in a power loss situation!

If directly coupled but putting the fuse makes it to hard for the street then there may be a way to relieve the pressure using check valves and or two way ball valves and lines for make a system to alter the fluid flow.....if there is a will, there is a way, nothing is impossible is how some say it but I prefer to say everything is possible:)

Chris26

6th place, not bad! As said before, that fact it was even on the list was impressive enough but it actually beat a few of the competitors :) Such a fantastic car, makes me smile every day.