Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CLOSED: Cyborg TurboCharger * NOT AVAILABLE *

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #82
Also... I got beat by a focus ST today on the highway, lol. Pulled about a car on me. It was 93degrees out. Normally, I don't even beat on the car when this hot, I'm just happy it get from point A to point B with A/C, lol.

Saw some cool cars though ( off topic ).

And I fell in love with this one... Made me think of a car that me and Razor would build together, lol.

S4 WHAT??

There was 6 GT-Rs there that ran 9.5 or faster.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I had a 89' Mirage turbo with the 1.6L 4G61T and a 16g Evo 3 turbo. It was a good amount of fun. The FiST reminds me a lot of it actually, except the FiST handles much better.

One of my buddies had a 89' Colt Turbo (same car) and he swapped the 2.0L 4G63T and a 20g turbo in. That thing was fun once it got traction, in 4th gear...

http://turbomirage.com/index2.html

Sekred

1000 Post Club

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I agree with Sekred, the only thing lock washers like that will do with turbos is loosen everything over time. Notice OEM never uses things like that.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I will be using ARP exhaust manifold studs with 12 point flange nuts.

Dave

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #88

This is the next revision to the cyborg turbo. Set to release in early 2015, its a slightly larger compressor wheel, lmao

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #90
Cyborg upgraded stock Turbocharger system

Tdo5h-14b turbine vs fist

Compressor vs compressor.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Wouldn't a larger turbine wheel cause slower spool up and more lag?

Dave

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #94
Yes and no Dave. The larger turbine has 2 benefits. #1 bigger shaft can support a bigger compressor wheel. But... That does not help us.. We ready have the biggest wheel than can fit in it. #2 and this is the big one.... It can out flow the stock wheel and likely flows more than the clipped wheel.

If we upgraded the turbine it would likely have the same spool we have now, but flow more exhaust out. It would be better.

Here is the issue.... COST. Plain and simple. No joke, I really just ran the number AGAIN today its AT LEAST $400 more. Maybe $500$600 more all together between parts, and some wicked complicated machining.

The idea of this turbo was/is to be a cost effective way to add a nice chunk of topend while reducing the low end to some extent to increase traction, driveline life, and tire life. Adding another $500 to the cost of this puts it in ATP area all day long.

The stock turbo has EXTREMELY limited parts we could use to machine in. And the turbine housing being so small, means it doesn't have much to machine out for a larger wheel. True fully, I could do this and it would cost me less than $400 on my car. But the options we have for turbine wheels, its not even worth pulling the manifolds for. Both options are the same incuder size ( big part ), while one adds 1mm to the exducer. The other shaft adds 5mm. But both wheels share the same size inducer as the stock wheel. Its... Just too much stuff for too little gain.

On the flip side..... Anyone want to send me $2100+core for a turbo with an ever so slightly larger turbine wheel, I will have it built, ported and the whole setup really to be maxed out. May also take 6weeks or more to build the first one.

I think we can all agree... With the housings, and the associated cost involved, its not a matter of "can you", its a matter of "should you".

If I thought it had 20whp in it.... I'd be waiting on parts RIGHT NOW to do it. But I think its worth.... Maybe nothing, lol.

For a comparison, the fiesta turbine is over 10mm smaller than the focus's "small turbine". The focus turbo would be sweet on our cars, but by the time you adapt an entirely different turbo you our car, it may as well be an EFR or garrett.

Being "cost effective" is the goal.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So, I guess you're saying that I don't want one.
Also I want the turbo assembly to look the same as OE from the outside.

Dave

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #98
Cyborg upgraded stock Turbocharger system

No. Too busy building these

stock

Ported

EFR wastegate adapted.

34mm wastegate disk installed.

Been meaning to update the forum/threads with some developments, but I don't have much spare time to spend on non-customer based things.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Those look great.
I wish mine looked that good.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.