Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CLOSED: Cyborg TurboCharger * NOT AVAILABLE *

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
What weight and tire settings are you currently using? I noticed you are leaving that info out of the screenshots.

I'm getting totally different numbers putting them through VD.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
What weight and tire settings are you currently using? I noticed you are leaving that info out of the screenshots.

I'm getting totally different numbers putting them through VD.
Nevermind, I still had my VD set to my Evo. OOps. ;)

Here is an interesting overlay between your current best log you shared and mine, both on Ethanol. That little turbo of yours obviously is flowing more air out the top, about 40whp more out the top, while the stock turbo is making 60-70wtq more down low and 40-50wtq more in the mid. Some of that probably has to do with tuning as well.

Also interesting to note is that you are running a good amount more boost from 4k to 5.5k, but making less power in that area or the same once it approaches 5k, where your upgrade keeps flowing while the stock turbo does not.

Your log are the red plots
My log are the blue plots

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #163
Your AFR is slightly leaner in the mid range and like I mentioned, I still had a throttle closure at 4800rpms.

Razor is your tires 24.4 like mine?

I didn't think I was making that much more power than you uptop. That being said, one of my guys is making more power than me on pump gas. I'm still doing all my own tuning for now. Reguardless of tuner, its going back on the dyno in 8 days.

I think at this point, I'm done with dyno's and number crunching, and comparing. ( and I don't mean with with Razor ). I'm just insanely happy with the cars power in all ways. I'm also a bit burned out with tuning it consistently. I'm not a pro-tuner and its taken me forever. Its been logged and read and logged so many times, I think I've almost worn out the socket on the side of the access tuner ( not joking ).

I also have a few guys with these turbos and they are doing pro- tunes completely 3rd party from me, so the turbo has shown its self to be effective in both the best ways. You can run it without a pro-tune or any further things to buy with the cobb OTS stg3 tune or you can gain a lot more with a pro-tune. Pro-tunes will be cheap through Panda ( completely independent of me ), and it is what it is.

Maybe not in 7-8 days, but I fully think with full-bolt on's and this turbo with a pro- tune, it can do 250whp. That's 15whp less than ATP's smallest big turbo, and its still extremely driveable and stock looking to dealers at roughly 1/2 the total price. Not taking anything away from the ATP turbos.

I would never say this lightly, I rarely over estimate a cars speed, but I think with some 22.5" tall slicks, it would run 12's as my car sits.

Not saying we can't keep doing friendly comparisons, lol. I'm just really fine with getting my butt kicked by some of the cars that may come about with this turbo in the future, or even with Razor's tuning.

The only other one thing I would say about our plots compared Razor is.... When you shift from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5 gears.... How many times does your rpms drop to 2900rpms while racing? Not saying that torque the stock turbo makes isn't fun or cool, it def sells cars and looks high on a single gear 2000-6500rpm dyno pull, but... Even roll racing, do you start at 3000rpms? Also not saying all that matters is 4600rpm+, but.... 2800-4200rpms not super relevant when driving or racing at speed. All that super low end torque is also really hard on the rods...

Hopefully; the pro-tuner will be doing my 93oct tune. I'm pretty ready to put the access port away for a while and drive the car without consistently analyzing every number.

Maybe if it was AWD, I'd want a lot more power, but this thing is plenty power for me. Besides the turbo outlet pipe and a real air intake at some point, I'm prob not going to look for anymore power until me or someone builds a different crash bar.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #164
Razor... While I got you on the line... I was going to PM, but may as well post for future members..

There is a table in access tuner. Its in the "load tables". Not throttle tables. Called "max load at closed WG". It has 16 tables. Question is... Does that table have any bearing on what I'm doing here? I only just modded it today to more closely see what loads I'm actually running.

I think this turbo will actually make more power with more boost. The power curve never peaks then falls. Seems to me, if it was out of air at 5600rpms then the power would fall instead of staying flat, so the mid-range could be beefed up with boost while the upper range stays the same. I'm not upto tuning for that right now though, lol. And this is also on E30, I'm not sure it will like this much boost on 93oct. I'm taking the easy road with E30 :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
This all looks great.
By the time I get mine installed you guys should have about 300 HP on NO gas. LOL

Dave

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #166
Lol. I can make it go about 80mph with no gas.... If I had a cargo plane to drop it out of...

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I polished out the welds on the inside of the elbow pipe.
I hope to soon replace the intake cross pipe soon as well to increase flow.

Dave

razorlab

1000 Post Club
For sure wasn't saying if one was better the other. The comparison was because it was interesting and I was curious about it.

Also it's really great info to see the power differences between the two up top where the stock turbo runs out of flow.

btw, I still think you are running too much boost through it out the top. The fact that you are making less than 5hp per 1psi compared to the stock turbo after 5k and less horsepower for more boost in the midrange, at least in this comparison gives us some info into that. Again, some of that is from the tuning.

Would be interesting to see what the turbo does on the same car, with the same tuner.

Thanks again for sharing.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #169
For sure wasn't saying if one was better the other. The comparison was because it was interesting and I was curious about it.

Also it's really great info to see the power differences between the two up top where the stock turbo runs out of flow.

btw, I still think you are running too much boost through it out the top. The fact that you are making less than 5hp per 1psi compared to the stock turbo after 5k and less horsepower for more boost in the midrange, at least in this comparison gives us some info into that. Again, some of that is from the tuning.

Would be interesting to see what the turbo does on the same car, with the same tuner.

Thanks again for sharing.
I'm with ya. I didn't take it as you saying was better than the other :)

I'm personally a little burnt out on tuning it. I've been learning and tuning for like 4-5 months straight. If I had more experience with tuning a system like this, it could/would have went insanely faster and been easier on me and the car.

I think when I first started this, to me at least, less was known a out the fiesta ST ( no one had even had a turbo off before ), and my goal was like 215-220whp for me. When Rick came in the picture, the goal for his car was 240-260whp because of all the super detail he put into every joint and bend. So for me to be putting down 218whp ( on a way less developed tune at the time ) and 235hp on the V-dyno that lots of people has said is close to accurate, I've not only met MY GOAL for the car, but exceeded them.

And more than that, driving the car is as fun and as wild as I expected.

When I went from the stock tires ( which were getting just spun to pieces ) to the 235/40/17 tires, the gear ratio and traction made the car a lot less edgey since grip was now garenteed. Now that this turbo is dialed in mostly, ITS BACK. The car has the perfect amount of "edge". Unless its cold outside ( under 65 ) I can get traction in 2nd with a feeling of almost about to blow the tires off. When its warmer above 75 degrees, traction is assured in 2nd.

Not that I make a habit of it, but where the car used to just hummmmmm and creep at 100mph to 110-120- and after about a zillion miles to 130mph.

Now... 100mph comes fast and easy, and 100-115mph is nothing and 125mph is pretty much where I cut it off ( I did get a ticket for 102mph in a 65mph last year ), but its incredibly faster than it was at 80mph+ before.

Even when it ran 14.0@100mph, that was so awesome to me. Before I bought the car, it looked like a car that ran 16.20 or something like that from the fiesta movement inform we got. I'm gonna get it back to the track asap as well...

So its not that I'm tired of arguing or posting or comparing ( although, being compared to Razor is a bit of a disadvantage lol ). Its just me being happy with the car and I think the E30 tune is plenty safe :)

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Bryan,

I did an overlay of the data between the two logs used for the powercurve comparison. This might help you out as far as tuning points to pay attention to.

Red plots are my FiST, blue plots are yours.

Like I said before, check out your STFT. I would target closer commanded AFR's for what you want. As you can see your STFT compensate in a pretty big sweep. The system is happier when it doesn't have to make big compensations like that.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #171
Thanx. I can lean it out now. I was just leaving that for last to keep the AFR as safe as possible. On the topend, it good as long as I don't go past E30.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thanx. I can lean it out now. I was just leaving that for last to keep the AFR as safe as possible. On the topend, it good as long as I don't go past E30.
If you get that throttle closure handled and get your commanded AFR closer to your desired AFR, I bet you will see better control of your AFR, including out the top.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #173
bought a 5gal can before going by the ethanol station today, lol. brought home 4.5 gallons for the next tank, lol. I'm addicted as well...

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #175
razor, also noticed your WGDC on the ultra low end is completely closed, mine doesn't do that.... why not? lo

l stockVD.jpg

JACKPOT !!!

I found my first datalog from being bone stock + Stage1 tune !!! The log has all kinds of stuff that I never log because it was just factory default log settings. pretty cool though !!

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #176
Vs the stock stg1....

Stock 145ft LBS at 6390rpm
Cyborg 202ft lBS at 6428rpm
Difference of 67ft LBS of torque at 6400rpms

Stock 173whp at 6390rpm
Cyborg 238whp at 6428rpm
Difference of 65whp at 6400rpm

Cyborg, intercooler, catback, tuning.
(Pretty sure the first mod I actually did was the downpipe, so this log had the miltek DP but not the catback yet ).

I told my friends with focus ST's.... "I can add another 50whp to a fist, you can't lose 450+lbs from a Fost". Looks like I reached my goal :)

STG1vsCYBORG-hp.jpg

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The only loss is spooling up just a little later but as mentioned that early torque of a stock turbo is hard on rods, it is also great for spinning wheels, hard on axles, etc....other than that the cyborg just makes for a much more fun car to drive and pulls all the way through the gears, love mine:)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #178
The only loss is spooling up just a little later but as mentioned that early torque of a stock turbo is hard on rods, it is also great for spinning wheels, hard on axles, etc....other than that the cyborg just makes for a much more fun car to drive and pulls all the way through the gears, love mine:)
Actually, most of that is because the dyno started at a later point. I have another one where they both started at the same rpm and its really close. I haven't gotten a chance yet, but i'm down by about 8 degrees of timing on the low end from 2500-4000rpm too...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Then even better yet:)

I need to get my radiator install done so I can get back to tuning, after sorting out the timing issue on cyl #1 that is

I need to get my altitude compensated numbers where they should be.....up here at 5200ft and the torco tune done!

razorlab

1000 Post Club
You are forgetting you are also comparing stock turbo on 93 to upgraded turbo on E30. Just a small detail ;)

Overlay a 93 Oct plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.