Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Racing Fiesta ST Short Throw Shift Lever

Trader history for Boomba Racing (0)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
Who wants a better shifter? Experience better-feeling, more accurate shifting with one of these bad boys!

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
We've got a lot of happy customers using this shifter! Be sure to pick one up!

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Can someone post a video of the 40% throw reduction. I think it may be too much for me.
Here is a picture of how adjustable our shifter is. When paired with our adapter plate, you can have anywhere from 10% to 40% reduction in throws. Its up to the user how short they want their throws to be.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just completed the install of this shifter.
For the most part the install went just fine and the instructions are dead on.

I finished putting everything back together and last installed my shift knob.
That's when I noticed the problem.
The car would not go into reverse.
I thought I had made a mistake in one of the last steps, the trimming of the reverse lock out.
That was no it but I did find the problem.
It turned out to be my Cobb shift knob.
When the Cobb knob is screwed all the way down the lock out cannot be lifted enough to allow entry into reverse.
I put the OE knob on and everything works perfect.

Needless to say I am not too happy that I cannot use my Cobb knob.
It seems to be that the Boomba shaft is threaded about 1/4 inch further than the OE shaft.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
What about a hard rubber spacer in the knob like I have to use to get the lettering straight on my Steeda knob. Would you have enough thread left to hold your knob safety ?? ;) yup I asked that ..

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Or a bit of blue lock-tight on the threads of the knob. Screw it down until you can't shift into reverse then back it off a turn and give the lock- tight a bit to harden before you drive it :)

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Putting anything inside the knob would push against the inside top and possibly dislodge the knob from the base.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Or a bit of blue lock-tight on the threads of the knob. Screw it down until you can't shift into reverse then back it off a turn and give the lock- tight a bit to harden before you drive it :)
I did not see this before my last post.

This is not exactly what I wanted to do but it will work.
The only problem might be in removing the knob in the future.

Dave

blue loctite would still be removable.. so it shouldn't be too bad...
just make sure its blue and not red.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Although the Loctite will work.
As I said, I would prefer not to use it here.

After a night sleep and a clear mind I found the answer.
It is not that the Boomba shaft is threaded to far but that it is chamfered too much.
This allows the Cobb knob to thread too far down the shaft.
The simple answer would be to keep the shaft top almost flat like the OE shaft.
This would require Boomba to alter their part just a little (maybe in future production).
Grinding the top of the shaft would not work because the knob will still thread down too far.
Cutting away the plastic lock out I would not recommend because if you screw up this part only comes with the boot at about $80.00.

I am working on the fix now and when it is complete I will post the answer.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
OK, here is the fix I came up with.
This can be inserted into the knob to act as a stop to adjust the height.

A set screw could be used but I did not have one.
I made this out of a bolt using a hacksaw and a bench grinder.

It works perfect.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I must say now that I have put some more miles on it, the shifting feels great.
I would definitely recommend this shift lever.
The issue I had with my knob was easily corrected.

Dave

I just drove to my new job and back. About an hour and fifteen in LA traffic. Love it! New seating position makes me feel like a fighter pilot or something

My thoughts on the Shifter as I installed it yesterday morning and had a solid day hooning around town doing errands.

The Throws are significantly shorter. I already had the adapter plate installed before hand, but with the shifter they seemed to decrease by another 30-40%. Shifts into the even gears "towards the rear" seem more solid now. With the old shifter it seemed like shifter would fall into each gate, now with this upgraded one, I have to pull the shifter into the gate. The installation was not difficult at all. It took me about 60 minutes from start to finish, carefully reading the color printed instructions. The only step that took a while was removing the "U" shaped copper pin from the shaft that holds the shifter to the base. The shifter bends a bit more towards the rear of the vehicle which enables me to more comfortably rest my elbow while shifting gears. Overall the shifter in constructed very nicely and offers an amazing tangible experience.

My Gripe.

The PRICE. I think $230 is too much to justify this piece. If I had to do it all over again I would have saved myself the money and just kept my setup as is with the boomba adapter plate on the transmission. I don't think that the extra reduction in throw is worth the extra $230 + another $16 for shipping and handling. For $230 I would expect a whole shifter box with base included like the kits that buddy club sells. They sell theirs for half the cost of the Boomba price.

The Boomba piece is nice and is beautifully machined which may warrant the price, but I feel is a bit too steep.

Overall I am happy with the performance of the piece, although I do have the some bit of buyers remorse because of the price. I paid $270 for this and the base bushings shipped.