Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catted vs non cat downpipe

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I'm at a crossroads on whether I should go with the catted or non catted dp. I've seen on multiple sites that the tq numbers are significantly lower but I haven't seen any diff in power. Now that being said I plan on upgrading the turbo in the very near future. At these levels I don't really see a catted dp holding me back. Just looking for some input. Also I was planning on going with the Cobb dp.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'll be going Cobb too, but only because I live in MD so I can't go the catless route. I see those performance numbers too and they aren't too far from one of another. At least the results I've seen.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
If your state does not require emissions testing of some sort go non-catted. Honestly, it then becomes a preference thing... I believe this topic has been covered thoroughly.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I feel it is important for the air we breath so I run one but built my own DP with a 100 cell, 5" diameter metal core cat. I wrapped it really well to keep heat out of the engine bay and to keep heat in the cat to help it function, light off faster, etc and so far working great even after 2 hard core days of use at a race track, around 200 minutes of hauling butt. I have the SS modded turbo as well and pass many supposedly faster cars:)

If you are in an area with inspections here is the trick way to go.

Ported stock manifold

Modified stock turbo

Modified stock DP
Just cut out the worst areas and weld in bigger sections, mod the heat shield just a bit, nobody would notice the changes and a modded stock DP should flow really well.

I have been tempted to do the DP mod just to see the results and I do not have inspections, tests, etc where I live but I like exploring the limits of stock based parts.

Chuckable

I used to think that getting every last ounce of power was of the utmost importance. But with the small difference in output of catted versus non-catted downpipes, not to mention the legal issues, seems reasonable to get a catted downpipe.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
If your state does not require emissions testing of some sort go non-catted. Honestly, it then becomes a preference thing... I believe this topic has been covered thoroughly.
Topic hasnt been touched on much actually.

I feel it is important for the air we breath so I run one but built my own DP with a 100 cell, 5" diameter metal core cat. I wrapped it really well to keep heat out of the engine bay and to keep heat in the cat to help it function, light off faster, etc and so far working great even after 2 hard core days of use at a race track, around 200 minutes of hauling butt. I have the SS modded turbo as well and pass many supposedly faster cars:)

If you are in an area with inspections here is the trick way to go.

Ported stock manifold

Modified stock turbo

Modified stock DP
Just cut out the worst areas and weld in bigger sections, mod the heat shield just a bit, nobody would notice the changes and a modded stock DP should flow really well.

I have been tempted to do the DP mod just to see the results and I do not have inspections, tests, etc where I live but I like exploring the limits of stock based parts.
Agree with pushing the limits. I blieve cobb uses a 200 count cat.
I used to think that getting every last ounce of power was of the utmost importance. But with the small difference in output of catted versus non-catted downpipes, not to mention the legal issues, seems reasonable to get a catted downpipe.
I dont have emmissions but if the power diff is neglible i may go catted. I plan on using a ATP turbo but Iam curious on how the cat will handle the extra load.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree, I have ran a cat on all my modded cars for many years, though it might be just a token of the overall impact of what we do to our air every little bit helps.

I had a very modded C6 Vette convertible and did not like the smell it made when coming to a stop, top down, wind behind us and the exhaust I bought was supposed to be catted. I cut out what looked like cats and they were just small resonators so I installed 3" metal core cats and it not only cleaned up the exhaust, it sounded better as well as seat of the pants I could not feel a power difference.

I knew a 100 cell, 5" cat might not get warm enough but my ST exhaust sure smells like it does though I am sure having a 2-3 deep layer of wrap helps and it is SS which holds the heat better.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I wonder how well the cobb DP works? Seems like tq is affected but not the HP so much? Also Ive been researching Exhaust alot lately. Bigger isnt always better according to the big exhaust producers. Velocity and heat retention are the two big factors.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm only going cobb for both because I like the sound of the exhaust and the downpipe is the same price as the 2JR one and I don't know of any other quality downpipes.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
I'm only going cobb for both because I like the sound of the exhaust and the downpipe is the same price as the 2JR one and I don't know of any other quality downpipes.
Iwill go Cobb for catted. Racepipe will be ATP.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I forgot about them. That's a good choice too.

Cobb for me personally seems to be the best way, catted wise at least.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I forgot about them. That's a good choice too.

Cobb for me personally seems to be the best way, catted wise at least.
Def. I just dont want the catted pipe to be holding me back when i upgrade the turbo. The other gd thing about the cat though is that it may keep it civil as far as noise is concerned.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Def. I just dont want the catted pipe to be holding me back when i upgrade the turbo. The other gd thing about the cat though is that it may keep it civil as far as noise is concerned.
And that's the other bug concern for me the noise. I don't want it loud but a good ramble and crack on wot.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
And that's the other bug concern for me the noise. I don't want it loud but a good ramble and crack on wot.
I agree with all of this. As ive grown up i want the car to be tolerable.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
Im in Texas and not long ago I wouldhave said your stupid. I now prefer a cat.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
It is irresponsible and unethical to run catless on a street car. Doesn't matter where you are.
So says the angel here...roll eyes. Can't say that though since your a Giants fan iaw your profile, lol. I only say this because I run a catless downpipe and calling me irresponsible and unethical is a judgement that you or anyone else does not have the right to pass unless you are perfect in every way.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah...admittedly I've done a few catless downpipes over the years which I've since learned really didn't buy me much more as far as added performance over installing a DP with a highflow cat...Also I found that catless DP's tend to result in louder exhausts and stink like hell...I guess at this point in my life I'm getting too old (or finally maturing) to tolerate both the added exhaust noise and fumes and hell maybe even finally becoming more environmentally conscious...But no judgement....to each their own...