Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

koozy's ST

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #204
Initial impressions with the mounts?
loving the mounts, it has increased the visceral feeling. There's a new sensation, it's not something you can see, as it hasn't increased anything to shake or rattle, but only something you can feel. The car resonates differently through the chassis with the stiffer mounts. no more wheel hop issues or noises when banging through the gears. I'm glad to have them on the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Urethane separated/came apart and shifted the WHOLE engine/drive train/exhaust??

Is ANYONE in our aftermarket working on their own front mounts (not that this cannot happen to those as well :( )?

That SUCKS, as it seems you did everything carefully, and correctly. [mad]

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #207
Urethane separated/came apart and shifted the WHOLE engine/drive train/exhaust??

Is ANYONE in our aftermarket working on their own front mounts (not that this cannot happen to those as well :( )?

That SUCKS, as it seems you did everything carefully, and correctly. [mad]
Let me explain. The car got sighted out in our beautiful California CARB friendly land and got dinged for obvious reasons. I have a date with the state referee to certify that the car is street emissions legal and a date with the judge to pay my fines if any and clean up the citation, hence why the car is now dressed in it's factory delivered attire from head to toe. I hope that clarifies things a bit, not to worry the car should be back in it's DHM outfit and with Russ' [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] help hopefully a little nastier than before [thumb]

and yes, there is a company that makes aftermarket engine/trans mounts, turbotech racing.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, thanks for clarifying that, as I was afraid you broke some of those all too purdy (and potent!) parts. [thumb]

I just figured all of the Republik Of Kali resident folks on here with hard core tunes and BT kits/mods found some fool proof way around all of that sheeat. [dunno]

How did they snag you, CHiPs stop (for noise?), spot check, or are they using some other 'Big Brother' type, high tech gestapo methods nowadays (drones with 'sniffers' on them, or drive-by ECU readers maybe? I put NOTHING past THEM. :( lol)??

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #209
OK, thanks for clarifying that, as I was afraid you broke some of those all too purdy (and potent!) parts. [thumb]

I just figured all of the Republik Of Kali folks on here with hard core tunes and BT kits/mods found some fool proof way around all of that sheeat. [dunno]

How did they snag you, CHiPs stop (for noise?), spot check, or are they using some other 'Big Brother' type, high tech gestapo methods nowadays (drones maybe? lol)??
the vent to atmosphere BOV did me in, they heard it and it lawfully was polluting venting into the atmosphere, can't argue that. also couldn't get around the cp-e intake when asked for the CARB EO #, kinda wish I left the stock intake on. The cp-e intake was only on for about two weeks. they snapped photos of the engine compartment. I knew what I was in for and was willing to pay to play. I played, now have to pay [lovest]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Local cop?

I guess given the whole sheer volume/popularity of the tuner market in SoCal, even the local LEOs are very astute/aware of even a quiet atmosphere vented BOV. :(

Note to self; even though my son loves that sound, and wants to hear it LOUDLY emanating from my car, get a recirculating BOV when the time comes for a BT kit. ;)

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #213
Can you say where you got popped? I am doing a quick spool kit and want to know where not to go LoL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to be specific until I clear the citation, which should be in a few weeks if things go accordingly. but you're in Glendora and any of those canyons your way i.e, Angeles Crest, GMR, etc. aren't the tarmac I was on [biggrin]

I don't want to be specific until I clear the citation, which should be in a few weeks if things go accordingly. but you're in Glendora and any of those canyons your way i.e, Angeles Crest, GMR, etc. aren't the tarmac I was on [biggrin]
Thanks! All I needed to know :)

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #217
yeah, the cool thing is I can also use this with a floor jack because of it's slim design. Fortunately i can lift the car on either end without having to use the pinch rails to lift, but once the car is up I wanted something a bit more sturdier to support the rails when I drop the car on to the stands at the rails.

OP
koozy

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #218
Recently visited the California (BAR) Bureau Of Automotive Repair State Ref to have the car tested to clear a citation for "modified emissions" that was marked as "correctable". The test is way more thorough than the usual CA smog check. To recap... I got cited for modified emissions, so the DHM turbo kit came off and OE intake, turbo, exhaust went back on, basically back to stock.... well almost.

So here are some random thoughts of the event that stand out in my mind.

The test was a bit nerve wracking mainly because everything on the car was scrutinized by 3 techs, I mean everything. Nothing was left unturned, they were as thorough as they could be with the skills and tools available to them. I was there observing the whole time mainly playing 'dumb', but was happy to answer any questions they had. They paid a lot of attention looking over the turbo and plumbing. I mean looking at it over and over and over. I was surprised that they took off the plastic engine cover, I thought they weren't supposed to remove anything from the car, but whatever I didn't have anything to hide under the cover. I was glad everything on the car was stock for the most part, including the sound symposer plumbing.

They noticed and asked me about the oil cooler, even though I knew it was legal and nothing to do with the emissions violation.

They made sure the OE catalytic converter was on the car, they asked if the intercooler was stock, I replied 'yes'. It wasn't until I left that I remembered I left the Airtec intercooler on. Fortunately any aftermarket factory fit front mount intercooler is hard to see.

They scrutinized the exhaust even though it was stock and I wasn't cited for a loud exhaust. I was glad I had the stock exhaust on the car for this test, because I almost left the Cobb cat back on there. They revved it while another tech was listening and if needed would have brought out the decibel meter for a reading. The Cobb cat back probably would have passed, but I didn't want to take a chance at least not for exhaust noise and have it fail for that. I was already taking a chance with something else, the tune on the ECU.

They made sure the check engine light was not on and working right, then they plugged into the OBDII port and looked to see if there were any alarms and to see if the I/M were in a state of 'readiness'. I was anticipating this so I completely removed the Accessport/Cables from the car and left them at home.

Once the car passed the visual and OBDII inspection they proceeded to put the car on the dyno to simulate on the road emissions and inserted an emissions probe into the tail pipe, which I wasn't really expecting since it was an OBDII car. The car was cited for emissions violation so they were going to put it through the gauntlet. During the test I could see the numbers and the car was emitting clean, very very clean.

Besides the car being overly scrutinized another nerve wracking part for me was I took a chance and took the car in with an Accessport tune loaded in the ECU, mainly out of my own curiosity and knowing that if it failed I'd have to correct the issue and return for another test all over again. I felt if I could get the car to pass for a State Ref test that I could also get it to pass for the regular CA Smog test when it was time and I really wanted to find out. Well... the car passed a CA State Ref Smog test with flying colors on a tune, lol !!!

The whole test took about an hour, easily 35 mins for the visual part alone. The certificate was $8.25. The citation was $25 to the court. I'm free and clear from this citation now and don't have to appear before the judge, until the next time, hopefully never again...

Whooo hoooo... emissions are clean, clean, clean.... with an Accessport tune loaded. Just the standard 91 octane out of the Shell station pump with 10% Etoh, Pennzoil Ultra 5w20, one step colder Denso plugs. I was too lazy to put the stock plugs back in, LOL.

on the rolling road dyno.

tail pipe test results from rolling dyno session.

Last edited:

V_2

Good lord, what a PITA. Congrats on getting everything fixed, though. Are you gonna change up the BOV when you re-install the quick spool or keep living dangerous? [deviltail]

Glad to hear it passed all the readiness tests with the tune. Unfortunately this probably something more and more of us are going to have to deal with in CA.