Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front Sway Bar Bushings

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Recontly one of our members ordered a set of front sway bar bushings.
He received the wrong size.
This is because the supplying company only listed the Fiesta and not the FiST.
The Fiesta has a 22mm bar and the FiST has a 19mm bar.
Here is the correct part number from Energy.
#9-5156
These are available from Tire Rack or Summit Racing.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Powerflex has a street and a race version of the bushings as well, I have the race, I will have to see what the Energy ones are rated at.

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #4
That is where we ran into the problem.
The vendor told me Powerflex only has a listing for the MK7.
The FiST is a MK7.5

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have PF bushings on my bar so they must make them, came in their package, fit....got them a few months ago.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I ordered the Black ones and got a set or 22mm and they fit but were not the right size for the stck 19 mm front bar . ya may want to check yours just to be sure as I have found no PF here or across the pond for 19mm

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
They seemed to fit right, I will check for sure!

One thing that can be done is to shim them,etc....I have done it before with other cars, bars and bushings but if not right then I will let them know about it!

Thanks,
Rick

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
They seemed to fit right, I will check for sure!

One thing that can be done is to shim them,etc....I have done it before with other cars, bars and bushings but if not right then I will let them know about it!

Thanks,
Rick
Yup mine fit snug after i tightend the caps down but after i reread the box (thanks Dave) it listed a 22mm and even if it fit it would not be right in my mind so out with them bad boys and left it stockish for now :) no real rush now as winter showed up last night and I am not driving the car in weather this winter only on dry roads as I have other options for the snow..

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #10
The 22mm bushings will easily go on to a 19mm bar.
I just installed the 22mm bushings on a 22mm bar (thanks Rod) and that was a little more of a fight.
I have also had urethane bushings squeak in the past, so I use plenty of grease (probably more than I should have).
This made putting everything back together with all that GOO on your hands all that more fun.

Dave

So, does anyone have a review of upgrading to the poly bushings? Worth it?

Also, the Energy part # listed is for universal sway bar bushings. Can anyone confirm that they fit?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Have not moved on these yet as it is winter here and the car for the most part is parked till better weather..

OP
D1JL

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #13
As far as I can tell this is not something that you can feel.
I just don't like things that can move.

Dave

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The benefit of more solid bushings is the sway bar will be more effective and more linear, if you have the bushings that are the right fitment that is. Back in the old days when such parts were not made and you could not even buy the materials to make you own we just shimmed the stock rubber bushings which helped but not optimal as more bind as they moved, less linear than stock.

Does anyone know if the sway bar bushing be replaced without loosening the subframe bolts?

Alright, so I successfully removed the stock sway bar mounts without removing the subframe, but the issue is with the sway bar bushing I bought are a bit taller and won't fit snug using the stock mounts. Has anyone had this issue or knows of a way to handle it?

These bushings are 19mm to fit the ST sway bar, but aren't made for the WZ Fiesta. Maybe I'll just have get the mounts from a WS or WT Fiesta.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
it looks like once tightened into the subframe it will fit fine.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Use a longer bolt and pull one side of the D link down far enough to install the OEM on the other side and tighten but not all the way. Now remove the long bolt and reinstall the OEM bolt and tighten both bolts. Do this for each side. This look like a Super Pro bush, I had the same issue. It looks too tall but it compresses fine without any issues with the sway bar binding.

Yup it's the Superpro bushing.

I had trouble fitting it wit the OEM bolts coz I didn't remove the subframe. I'll try with the longer bolts. Good to know it'll compress fine without any issues. Thanks Ian!