Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

So in addition to a catch can, is anyone else running a crankcase breather? Anything to help from blow-by and oil accumulation in the intake.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...r-2014-15-Fiesta-ST-745p5173.htm#.VujLuvkrKCh
If you read a bit with focus on the VW DI issues there is no evidence OCCs mitigated deposit build up. The strongest evidence I've seen from another paper I posted awhile back, a presentation by Caltex, and a few LSPI papers says a mineral non synthetic oil of higher NOAK and low CA content is the most cost effective mitigating measure with regard to DI intake valve deposits. The first paper I referenced posting from a Polish university irrc and the Caltex presentation are the only ones that heavily utilized actual intact engine tests.

Of note Mobil1 has greatly reduced their use of CA in favor of Mg in recent years.

Caltex = Chevron Texico overseas btw

I'm
So higher NOACK is what is better and not lower NOACK? My understanding is that higher NOACK volatility in oil was the problem.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/4188-Oil-information-NOACK-and-SAPS
Yes actually. It seems counterintuitive but I reconcile it as the higher NOAK burns off the valves easier. It's not popular obviously and could be just as errant as the other theories but seems the best supported. Keep in mind that NOAK is only relevant with regard to ring belt conditions where oil burn off poisoning catalysts is the concern. The test has nothing to do with oil vapor escaping the crankcase.

Also as food for thought consider the evidence that the European marks seem to have more such issues and they directly spec higher quality synthetic oils with lower NOAK % losses.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Some say frequent oil changes can aggravate it. The aromatics that fresh oil give off.

XuperXero

Has anyone tried just spraying throttle body cleaner right before the throttle body while engine's running? Would that help clean some of it off?

Has anyone tried just spraying throttle body cleaner right before the throttle body while engine's running? Would that help clean some of it off?
It will get some of the surface stuff off but not anything significant. I have sprayed brake keen right on a DI valve with carbon and it doesnt really do much (not recommended to actually spray brake kleen into your intake port, I was trying this with a head that was not on the car)

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
The best ways to prevent this are to get an engine oil low in NOACK and SAPS (sulfated ash), as well as an oil catch can for the PCV valve side and a valve cover breather. This won't help if you already have build up but it will prevent this issue long term.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Be wary of doing those induction cleaning services. Ford states that such services will shorten the life of your turbocharger and catalytic converters.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Ford, sometimes great, sometimes a tool of the least respect.....

They built us an amazing little affordable pocket rocket.

Then put in an intergrated audio/video package without rear view camera and no real support.

They have NO support for oil build up on the valves.

There is one more issue that ticks me off but I am forgetting it right now.

Building a brilliant product then treating it and other great models like a bastard stepchild is beyond me.

Then put in an intergrated audio/video package without rear view camera and no real support.

Building a brilliant product then treating it and other great models like a bastard stepchild is beyond me.
Are any manufacturers of DI engines covering buildup under warranty? Does anyone besides BMW offer walnut blasting (for a price) through the dealer? Just wondering since DI is getting to be the norm and not the exception.

dyn085

2000 Post Club

But if you look at their product lineup and sales numbers, the FiST actually is the bastard stepchild.

Are any manufacturers of DI engines covering buildup under warranty? Does anyone besides BMW offer walnut blasting (for a price) through the dealer? Just wondering since DI is getting to be the norm and not the exception.
1. Generally speaking, no, unless the build-up affects engine operation before the warranty is up.

2. Yes, I believe Audi does.

I'm sure Ford will follow suit with an approved process as soon as owners refuse to pay for a new head every time they try to address the issue. Realistically, our build-up isn't even remotely close to other DI platforms though, so they may hold out for a while. Many FoST owners already do/have done their own walnut blasting.

Ha, with all these DI motors starting to get more and more miles on them, maybe it's time to start investing in walnut futures....

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Yes it is but also designed as an entry level model that could lead to higher end sales later on. This car had got to be a superb investment for all the great free advertising it has received around the world, why crap on that with lack of support in areas a big ass company like Ford can easily take care of?

-------------

Waiting until enough pissed off customers complain is not the best way to promote a business. Being a long time business owner I know the major key to long term success is taking care of customers, promptly, no matter the cost. They have thousands of engineers, it would only take a few to figure some of this out.

I saw it mentioned somewhere else in a ST forum that Ford had made a CCV change to the Intake plumbing for 2016. Could this have something to do with crankcase ventilation and oil on valves?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Ha, with all these DI motors starting to get more and more miles on them, maybe it's time to start investing in walnut futures....
Lmao. Good call.

Or....start selling your Ford stock. But
Good news for Ford, there are plenty of idiots ready to buy a ford.

Sometimes I wonder if the GLH omni's were like this in 1985-1988 ( I was 2-6 years old ). Where people bought the cars new and loved them to death and raved about how cool they were.
15 years later, they all went to the crusher because they had so many stupid issues and some major ones. Next thing ya know...... WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A OMNI GLH just driving around randomly?

Amazing piece of crap. Lol.
Not sure the focus is much better. Synco's tearing up ( 25 on back order nationally not too long ago ), shattered a diff running 1.7 60ft times on a 11.5-12.0 car? And of course, pistons turning to ash on modded and stock cars.

I feel like its a really good thing most people don't mess with the 3.5L ecoboost.

I sold my focus and said, "I'll never buy another ford again EVER". The fist made me fall in love and I still love it. I love it for what it is and what it isn't. Omni GLH's were awesome pieces of crap too and I wish I could have bought a brand new one STILL. But as for ANYTHING else that isn't a special type car? No freaking way I'll ever buy a ford. The more I learn, the more it pisses me off, lol.

Make no mistake, I love my fist. But ford in general has failed me for the last time, I'm ready to be let down by some other manufacture for the next 40 years, lol.

Well, to be fair, the intake valve coking is DI issue not a Ford issue, it's going to happen on every DI engine and I'm not sure any manufacturer has found a good solution yet. It seems to be the dirty secret of the more power/less fuel advantages of DI.

They have thousands of engineers, it would only take a few to figure some of this out.
What is there to figure out? It's a fact of life for DI engines and is made worse by EGR, which is necessitated by environmental regulations. You can't prevent it, but you can deal with it fairly easily with walnut blasting. All I can figure is Ford either thinks there is not enough demand for it to be profitable as a service at dealerships or they don't trust their techs to do it.

The best ways to prevent this are to get an engine oil low in NOACK and SAPS (sulfated ash), as well as an oil catch can for the PCV valve side and a valve cover breather. This won't help if you already have build up but it will prevent this issue long term.
Only the low SAPS has been relatively undisputable. The others are still shots in the dark at best and there is evidence that low NOAK oils may be part of the problem.