Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ecoboost Intake Valve Carbon build up ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
^^^I believe that the only real 'danger'of ANY type of damage is IF there are large chunks of carbon on the intake valves which when loosened could get blown out of the combustion chamber, and into the turbine's blades.

Mostly unlikely on a lower mileage engine. ;)
You are correct sir...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I did this on my N/A focus and my Fist. They both made horrendous rattling during it. Not sure if it was the variable valve timing or what.

I did this on my N/A focus and my Fist. They both made horrendous rattling during it. Not sure if it was the variable valve timing or what.
I used the CRC intake valve cleaner on my 2017 FiST yesterday. I had my son hold the revs around 2000 and throttle it up to prevent stalling while spraying. I had no rattling at all. The only obvious thing was the smell, which dissipated when the car was driven. I unhooked the hard vacuum line that goes into the intake manifold at the front of the engine, and used a rubber coolant bypass cap with a hole drilled into the side to insert the straw. It did not even throw a code. It was very easy and I will repeat at every oil change. I use Techron in the fuel regularly to keep injectors clean, and now will use the CRC for the intake valves.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am wondering if the high PEA content fuel additives (Red Line SI-1, Techron Fuel System Cleaner, Gumout Regane, etc.) help keep our infamous intake valve crud at bay even a tiny little bit over not using them at all. [dunno]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am wondering if the high PEA content fuel additives (Red Line SI-1, Techron Fuel System Cleaner, Gumout Regane, etc.) help keep our infamous intake valve crud at bay even a tiny little bit over not using them at all. [dunno]
How can they ? When our engines are Direct injection! No fuel washes the valves anymore ...silly guy!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^True, but one has to expect at least some brain farts at my advanced age. ;) [:(] [headslap]

WHY do I smell fish all of a sudden, or is that just the PEA going to my (empty) head? LOL

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
^^^True, but one has to expect at least some[/B] brain farts at my advanced age. ;) [:(]

WHY do I smell fish all of a sudden, or is that just the PEA going to my (empty) head? LOL
Why ...yes it could be the Poly Ether Amine....it's not to be ingested silly....only if you have some activated charcoal on hand to drink right after!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

This is what my intake valve look like at 6k miles. Catch can was installed at 3.5k miles. I am going to tackle the CRC intake valve cleaner and see the result.
What catch can system do you have?

On my last DI car, I did CRC at every oil change. Didn't have a bore scope, so couldn't tell if it "worked" or not, but cheap (possibly) preventative maintenance anyway. I do have a bore scope now, though, so...

A can of seafoam always did the trick in my Mazdaspeed, which was also DI. You can suck half a can through the brake booster line, and then turn vehicle off. Let sit for 5 minutes and start up and idle while the smoke pours. Take it for a ride and blast that carbon out!

I also run into this quite often when tuning. The carbon deposits cause unwanted detonation, so I have had customers clean their valves and relog, and the detonation goes away.

XanRules

A can of seafoam always did the trick in my Mazdaspeed, which was also DI. You can suck half a can through the brake booster line, and then turn vehicle off. Let sit for 5 minutes and start up and idle while the smoke pours. Take it for a ride and blast that carbon out!

I also run into this quite often when tuning. The carbon deposits cause unwanted detonation, so I have had customers clean their valves and relog, and the detonation goes away.
Do you know offhand where the brake booster line for these cars that we would use is located?

Before
IMG_2744.JPG

After
IMG_2776.JPG

Intake valve after CRC cleaner. Doesn't seem like a good job and I can't tell if it is the same valve as before but at least the walls are definitely clean.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Yeah I never held much hope for it. If you've ever cleaned valves with a wire brush you know that baked on carbon is a mother to get off.

^^^I believe that the only real 'danger'of ANY type of damage is IF there are large chunks of carbon on the intake valves which when loosened could get blown out of the combustion chamber, and into the turbine's blades.

Mostly unlikely on a lower mileage engine. ;)
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm planning on cleaning the build up in my car. I bought it used at 41k miles from the dealer. It's CPO for what it's worth, but I'd still like to clean it just in case.

Do you think this is a worry for me?