Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TPMS and Winter Tires?

Hello Guys,

I have installed my new wheels with winter tires (No TPMS) last Friday.

The TPMS light is always OFF is it normal? How many time does it take to the TPMS light to go ON?

Thanks!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
IT takes about 20 minutes of driving to pick up the TPMS light on these cars then it gives a ding ding and the dash light blinks for 30 seconds to a minute and you get a message on the radio screen. If you park you car near the tires with the TPMS sensors in it will reset the car so you get another 20 minutes or so. And if you start it and drive for less than that time you will get another 20 minutes till it alarms after you shut it off and restart it.. Well at least my 2014 is like this I keep the factory tires in a rack across me two car garage from my car and that is close enough to reset the TPMS every night then I can take the 15 minute drive to work and not get the alarm, Park the car and go in to work all day then come out 12 hrs later and get in the drive the 15 minutes home and never see a TPMS alarm but it will come in after that 20 minute time frame and give a couple of bongs and falsh a light and a message but not much else...

Everything Rodmoe said is absolutely correct. I had read somewhere that ~16 miles it triggers the light. I've driven 8 miles to work. Parked. Then driven 18 miles. Parked. Then drove 8 miles into my garage - and the tpms light never went on. My original tpms sensors are in the garage so it was resetting all the time. If you have your original tires in the garage ... this is a good way to go. Even if you don't, I don't think its worth it whatsoever to pay $150 for tpms sensors on winter tires. The tpms light is really not that annoying and I would even be willign to just put tape over it.

Now what I really want to do... is buy a set of tpms sensors on ebay and create a TPMS PVC pipe. You essentially put 4 tpms sensors in a pvc pipe, seal it, pressure it up to 32psi and leave that in your car. Then theres no ridiculous tpms swapping and your light is always off. Not sure if any FiST owners have done this but it should work.

It does make a sound when it goes off, and it scares me every time.

Also yeah as was said earlier, I'm pretty sure it's distance based. My commute use to be ~17 miles, and it went off at the exact same spot every single morning. It was at about 16 miles.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #5
Yes in the moment my light of TPMS is always OFF.

I just make 10 km to go to work. And my tires are in the basement of the house.

The tpms sensors are was resetting all the time. Because my car is to near. Thanks guys for all your answers I will give you a update if my light goes ON just to confirm all the information.

But for the moment your information make sense for me!!

I've had my nonTPS winter tires on for about 50 miles and no light also.

UPDATE: it's on. [xx(]

just curious, what does our car do when the sensors go off? is it just a dash light? or is it far more annoying than that?

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #8
I confirm this weekend I have driven 20 minutes to go to the restaurant stop the car after the restaurant I start the car and drove 20 - 30 minutes and the TPMS light comes ON.

After I come back to home and stop the car the next morning when I start the car to go work the light of TPMS is OFF.

I confirm for me the wheel is to near of my car when it's parked end they connect during the night. It's nice for me the light probably never comes ON because I'm work at 10 minutes.

Thanks guys for all the information.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
just curious, what does our car do when the sensors go off? is it just a dash light? or is it far more annoying than that?
You get a warning chime and there is a notification that pops up on your screen.

OP
Charest2394
Thread Starter #10
You get a warning chime and there is a notification that pops up on your screen.
When the light comes ON in the dash at the same time you have a notification in the MyFordTouch system. But no more.

The next days the Light in the dash is simply off and the message in the notification center is simple erase

When the light comes ON in the dash at the same time you have a notification in the MyFordTouch system. But no more.

The next days the Light in the dash is simply off and the message in the notification center is simple erase
jeez, if thats all that happens I can easily live with that for the winter. Beats the costly TPMS for the Snows.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
jeez, if thats all that happens I can easily live with that for the winter. Beats the costly TPMS for the Snows.
It's really not that bad to run without the TPMS, I've been doing it for nearly a year lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Mine never resets even though I have sensors in my street wheels, just have dash light on all the time and the screen when I start up the car. I run just under the air pressure it is looking for as my tires work better at that setting, anyway to change the pressure the ECU wants to see?