Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hid help

Really.... hmm. Post some installed pics when you get em, that might be something I look into.

Oem> cut up retrofit

What I personally don't like about the Euro housing are they are all chrome, vs our headlights which are semi blacked out.

A proper and professional retrofit, is by far a better option. The Euro headlights have a projector, but it's also halogen not technically made for HID's.

If you look at Black Flame Custom, they did a retrofit on a Fiesta.

Hello, first time poster here. Got my Fist today. Bottom of post for background.

To the topic: having the one hid bulb go out is very common for HID retrofits or modifications. I can't remember off the top of my head but if you search you will find you need to run a relay and get your power directly from the battery for the light, connect the control part of the relay to your headlight switch and ground on the lights to an actual ground point; not a splice or existing connection. It is always a bad idea to piggyback from original head light power and ground. If you have already done this you should search for this problem in general, not particular to the Fist.

Also in agreement with other in this thread: Using HID's in a halogen housing is a very poor choice, for the reasons listed below:
1. Worse for everyone else on the road; due to the poor reflection of the halogen housing. Light scatter is everyone's enemy and it just screams to any car guy that you are ignorant about lights or worse just don't give a shit about anyone else on the road.
2. Although the headlights appear brighter, your distance is lower. This is due to HID's being designed to be projected (hence the name projector) not reflected (halogen, incandescent). So again you perceive that they are better but they are just lighting up everything around you, not directly down the highway.
3. The higher kelvin rating (higher than 3500k) is actually worse for viewing distance. When the light begins to look blue, you are already losing distance. Yellow is the best, and white is a good halfway point between asthetic and function. 4200K is where you should draw the line, its give the nicest a appearance with the least amount of drop-off.
4. The lens in Halogen housing are cheaper and designed for halogen, they will eventually yellow from the HID's. This is also an issue in cheaper cars such as KIA's and not limited to mods.

You can google all the things i've mentioned.

I am new to fist but old hat to the modification community. I had a mildly modded '07 mazdaspeed 3 (400whp DD dyno), '03 stock Focus SVT-used, currently have an '14 Audi SQ5 (stock), '08 Evo GSR 570awhp on 94oct fully built and a Chevy Avalanche with 330,000KM. Got the fiesta to replace the Focus.

TheStig

Really.... hmm. Post some installed pics when you get em, that might be something I look into.

Oem> cut up retrofit
Two ideas for this, first if someone gets the Euro LHD cutoff projectors, they can probably remove the factory projector housing and find a HID projector housing to fit without much modification. But then you have 700$ in lights and 400$+ in an HID projector setup. Bit steep.

Other idea goes back to Projector retrofits, artists work speaks for themselves. There are some GREAT guys out there doing the work, they are not "hacked' up by any means. You get what you pay for, if someone charges you 600$ for a complete retro on both headlights, and the equipment alone is 400$, expect a 200$ hacked up headlight. Id certainly go for the retrofit method but it poses another problem, finding a spare set of headlights to send or install on the car (depending on which set is in better condition).

Are you selling the SVT Focus? More info please...
I may, I am going to give it a go next days off. I am all the way up in Northern Alberta, Canada though. Towing is also really expensive between here at the nearest center. Here to Edmonton,AB is $700 on a semi, and $1200+ on a flatbed.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
A proper and professional retrofit, is by far a better option.
This option is still not DOT approved so there is nothing that is completely correct/legal.
Not that I personally care what a person does to their own car.

Dave

This option is still not DOT approved so there is nothing that is completely correct/legal.
Not that I personally care what a person does to their own car.

Dave
That is a correct, but a professional retrofit is the better option vs an HID PnP.

These headlights are permasealed, and I've read on the subject, there's only one way to open them and it's cutting them open, and the job doesn't look all that good.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I agree with D1JL. Nothing is legal and correct except stock with better/whiter halogen bulbs. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

I own a set of 55watt 5k HIDS that I was going to place in my fog lights and a set of 35 watt 5k I was going to place in my low beams. I have the relay harness for both sets and my issue is that my fuses keep blowing. Can anyone tell me why the fuses blow and maybe offer some advice?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That is a tuff question to answer without knowing what fuse is blowing or how you have things wired.

Dave

TheStig

I agree with D1JL. Nothing is legal and correct except stock with better/whiter halogen bulbs. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
Given that nobody gets pulled over for having horribly adjusted PNP HID kits, i highly doubt a bright, but well adjusted projector retrofit would cause you to be pulled over by the police. If they are adjusted correctly no cop will even notice, and if they do how on earth would they tell on the spot that they are not OEM and/or DOT approved. Maybe if you live in a state or country where they actually do a full car inspection (thankfully i live in Arizona, we do not have that issue) then you could have a potential problem.

The brightest halogen lights will pale in comparison to a properly setup HID projector. But i absolutely concede that having a properly done install may be difficult if not impossibly, certainly expensive. Another reason im waiting to see someone have it done before i even attempt to take the plunge.

OP
Chrisryan805
Thread Starter #33
Hey guys so it was the ballast that went bad. this happened twice but now it is working great with no issues!

35W 8K headlights
35W 3K fogs

Attachments

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Hey guys so it was the ballast that went bad. this happened twice but now it is working great with no issues!

35W 8K headlights
35W 3K fogs
I like the head lights. What brand and were did you get them from?

Russ

There is a reason these aren't DOT approved. For me, it's not so much the oncoming drivers that bothers me, it's the people behind me on the freeway with the HID kits.

Do yourself a favor, get some high quality HID driving lights and duck tape them to you hood. You'll be less annoying.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
For me, it's not so much the oncoming drivers that bothers me, it's the people behind me on the freeway with the HID kits.
This is why I tinted my rear window, as well I have an auto-dimming rear view mirror.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Dave, what rear view mirror did you get? Is the car pre-wired for it?
It is the mirror from my 2011 Fiesta SES.
I kept it as I knew the ST did not come with one.
No, the ST is not prewired but it is very easy to do.

Dave