Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight Spare Tire

I weighed the stock spare tire and wheel at 36.4lbs. I have a SVT Focus spare, and it is a 16X4 aluminum rim, and a 125/85/16 tire. The tire is a little tall, but I think a 135/70/16 will be perfect, and the tire weighs in at 8lbs. Total weight should be under 20lbs. This could be a solution for people like me who don't want to rely on a can of fix-a-flat.

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
**Update** Ive been using the aluminum spare from my SVTF, as it weighted 22.3lbs., which was much lighter than the stock full size spare at 36.4lbs. However, the SVTF spare was a little too tall to fit nicely in the well, and it also had a dent in the rim. So, I decided to hunt down a lightweight aluminum spare from a regular(non ST) Fiesta. The lightweight aluminum Fiesta spare fits much better into the well(because it was designed to), and weighs in at only 19.8lbs. Thats a 16.6lbs. savings over the stock spare. As a side benefit, you can now run the trunk floor in the lower position. The ride did get slightly more choppy, but since I'm going to be adding the weight back, in the form of a subwoofer box, I'm not worried about it.

Attachments

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
sweet, what's the tire size on the new spare?
It's a 125/80/15. If you use the SVTF rim, you'll need a 135/70/16. It's a common subaru spare tire size.

No issues with brake clearance right?
I took a quick measurement of the back of the wheel, and it should clear. I'll test fit it when I have a chance.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Great mod, that is a ton of weight to remove for a very low cost, I usually do not carry a spare but I might now:)

Anyone know of a 4x100 aluminum lite weight spare?

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
Cool, so this would be out of any non-ST Fiesta?

Keep us posted on brake clearance -- both rear and front.
You should be able to use any Fiesta spare, but only some of them came equipped with an aluminum rim. I could be wrong, but the aluminum spare might have been included on the more fuel efficient models.

Great mod, that is a ton of weight to remove for a very low cost, I usually do not carry a spare but I might now:)

Anyone know of a 4x100 aluminum lite weight spare?
I think you're gonna have a hard time finding one, but you could try a Honda Insight spare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-HONDA-..._Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item4d212033a8&vxp=mtr

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club

I might have to see if I can find a 16" rim if those are 15" as my BBK barely fit into the 15x9 track wheels and will not fit any other 15's I know of, I forgot that important issue!

OP
R
Thread Starter #11

I might have to see if I can find a 16" rim if those are 15" as my BBK barely fit into the 15x9 track wheels and will not fit any other 15's I know of, I forgot that important issue!
There's easily enough meat to have the aluminum Fiesta spare or the 16" SVTF spare redrilled to 4x100. There's always a bunch of SVTF spares on eBay.

I took a quick measurement of the back of the wheel, and it should clear. I'll test fit it when I have a chance.
Did get a chance to confirm fitment? Front too?

I'd like to do this too to partially offset the weight of a trailer hitch.

Thanks in advance!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I am going to find an 16" aluminum spare at a local junkyard when I get back to UT so I can measure to see if it will fit over my BBK, sure hope so but if not plan A was to just carry a patch kit and little compressor and can of fix a flat as a secondary backup. I have carried those items for years in cars I chose to not carry a spare and in a Vette I refused to compromise with run flat tires but I never needed them, I seldom get flats.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
**Update** Ive been using the aluminum spare from my SVTF, as it weighted 22.3lbs., which was much lighter than the stock full size spare at 36.4lbs. However, the SVTF spare was a little too tall to fit nicely in the well, and it also had a dent in the rim. So, I decided to hunt down a lightweight aluminum spare from a regular(non ST) Fiesta. The lightweight aluminum Fiesta spare fits much better into the well(because it was designed to), and weighs in at only 19.8lbs. Thats a 16.6lbs. savings over the stock spare. As a side benefit, you can now run the trunk floor in the lower position. The ride did get slightly more choppy, but since I'm going to be adding the weight back, in the form of a subwoofer box, I'm not worried about it.
Any update to confirm fitment on all 4 corners?

OP
R
Thread Starter #15
Sorry, I've been busy, and I'm trying to get my sub box finished. I'll check the fit on the front on Monday. I'm 99% positive that it'll clear, but if not, a small spacer will make it fit just fine.

OP
R
Thread Starter #16
I am going to find an 16" aluminum spare at a local junkyard when I get back to UT so I can measure to see if it will fit over my BBK, sure hope so but if not plan A was to just carry a patch kit and little compressor and can of fix a flat as a secondary backup. I have carried those items for years in cars I chose to not carry a spare and in a Vette I refused to compromise with run flat tires but I never needed them, I seldom get flats.
If you can send me a quick drawing with measurements, I'll check the SVTF spare. Like I said, you'd have to have it redrilled, but at least you'd have a starting point.

OP
R
Thread Starter #17
***Update*** Good news. The lightweight NON-ST spare fits over the stock ST brakes, with plenty of room. I also Fitted the SVTF spare for a comparison, and it has even more room than the NON-ST spare. I would say that there is around a 1/4" clearance to the stock ST caliper with the NON-ST aluminum spare, and around 1/2"+ with the SVTF spare to the calipers.

Attachments