Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgrading to NAV from stock Sony Sync radio and adding stock back-up camera.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Can you upgrade to the NAV setup from the stock Sony Sync head unit? And can you upgrade to a factory rear back-up camera? It is listed as an accessory option but not sure if it works with the FiST. Anyone have experience with either upgrade?

Aftermarket is better anyway. I would find the necessary dash bits to fit the nav but fit in an aftermarket. My stock nav routinely takes me in the wrong direction, can't find the Walmart in Prescott, and crashes if the road your on deviates from where it thinks it should be. A $99 Garmin works 10x better. The MFT in general works well though.

I was thinking about doing this on mine. I have a few nav cards laying around, so ill try it, but im pretty sure the audio module is different. I may be able to program it though. I ll get around to it one of these days.

OP
CarGuy

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Let me know as I ordered a NAV card...just in case someone knows how to get it working.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Ford really blew it on the ST for us, it makes no sense at all to lock this stuff out or just not enable it....zero, nada, etc........

There is not even a good aftermarket interface out that I can find to swap to an different HU as I want to do.

An update on this subject. If your car has a compass and 911 assist (which I think all st's have) that means it has a gpsm module, so what has do be done is a programmable module installation on the apim (accessory protocol interface module) and select the options that you want such as navigation. Which I have yet to do, but i will try to get my car to work on monday. So the Fist has all the hardware, just needs the software. Oh ya and the programming will most likely need to be done with Ford's ids diagnostic tool. I'm gonna try a flash drive first, but I think the apim has to be unlocked first. Ill keep ya posted.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
An update on this subject. If your car has a compass and 911 assist (which I think all st's have) that means it has a gpsm module, so what has do be done is a programmable module installation on the apim (accessory protocol interface module) and select the options that you want such as navigation. Which I have yet to do, but i will try to get my car to work on monday. So the Fist has all the hardware, just needs the software. Oh ya and the programming will most likely need to be done with Ford's ids diagnostic tool. I'm gonna try a flash drive first, but I think the apim has to be unlocked first. Ill keep ya posted.
This would be a great break through if we can make this happen. Yes please keep us posted on what you find out.

some bad news, i was not able to do the programmable module installation because it recognized that it had the same esm# (electronic serial number) so i tried just doing a reprogram, but i was only able to delete currently installed options like 911 assist among other apps. so im guessing ford made it this way so you have to buy the program from them, probably from syncmyride.com or something like that. so as of yet i have not figured out how to do this for free yet, but i could probably come up with what has to be done if any of you wanted to pay for the option after delivery of their car. i am worried though as i seen the options list with part numbers and it lists a nav hu as a different part number as the hu without nav, it may just come pre-programmed with nav and be the same hu though. the maps sd card is also listed as well. i'll work on it some more another time, im burnt out on the subject at the moment.

OP
CarGuy

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the update. Does anyone know what Ford charges for an after delivery upgrade? And if they even offer it? Looking for someone with actual experience to chime in.

Its now March 2015, has anyone have some updates? I was able to get an SD card from a friend who wrecked his :( can Nav be added after the fact on a non Nav car? Thanks

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I would say no, but could be wrong. No because I asked the same thing on my 2008 Edge and the answer was no because the GPS radio/antenna is missing. The SD card are only the maps. Even if you get the GPS antennawould need the software update on the sync to enable it. Best would be to get a phone or tablet and download a navigation software. The Fiesta Sync could be different but I doubt as we would see the SD card as a dealer option.

I would say no, but could be wrong. No because I asked the same thing on my 2008 Edge and the answer was no because the GPS radio/antenna is missing. The SD card are only the maps. Even if you get the GPS antennawould need the software update on the sync to enable it. Best would be to get a phone or tablet and download a navigation software. The Fiesta Sync could be different but I doubt as we would see the SD card as a dealer option.
I'm 99% sure everything is installed already. On cars without Nav you can still view your GPS coordinates. All that should be required is a software change and the SD card with the map files.

OP
CarGuy

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
They told me no when I bought my 2015 FiST at the end of last year. Will be curious if that has changed.