Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Widest Tire You Can Stuff on a Fiesta?

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I am surprised you don't think the RE-11 is a good track tire RAAMaudio, they have been one of the best Autocross tires I've ever used to date. They are heavier, but the sidewalls on those tires are ridiculously stiff to prevent them from rolling over.
He already admitted he doesn't actually have personal real-world experience with the tire. This was my point in pointing it out. Some tires work for some people better than others and magazine or internet talk doesn't always apply to every body. Case in point, you have real experience with the tire and you like it, he does not in his fantasy land of never using it personally. Which point of experience works better for you? I can take a good guess. ;)

btw. Dunlop ZII Star Specs in 215 work great on 7" wheels on track since they have a stiff sidewall, even if he or the internet thinks generally 215's need a 8" wide wheel to be effective. They aren't sloppy at all or have deflection. Work just dandy with no sidewall roll over, even in over 1.2g corners.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
A 205 with some sidewall support should work really well on a 7" rim, my 205's on 7's look and handle good, the diameter is 24.3" which is about as tall as I would want to go but there might be a 215/45/17 that would work OK on 7's, this is where researching race sites would be a wise thing to do, to see what others in similar situations are running.

...btw. Dunlop ZII Star Specs in 215 work great on 7" wheels on track since they have a stiff sidewall, even if he or the internet thinks generally 215's need a 8" wide wheel to be effective. They aren't sloppy at all or have deflection. Work just dandy with no sidewall roll over, even in over 1.2g corners.
I can also confirm this. I have the Dunlops (215/40) on my 17x7 OZ Ultras (two autocross entered and two wins) and on my `07 MazdaSpeed6 (225/45x18) on 18x8 SSR Forged wheels (only one autocross entered and one win) and they are pretty damn good. Also note that I ran the Dunlops on the MazdaSpeed3 in Royal Purple The Forum Wars (Season 2) and won the drag race, slalom, and autocross events there as well.

The rules for next year are a bit different, but I need to stick with the OEM rim width and be within +/-6mm (1/4") of the OEM offset. So no playing with the offset or rim widths. Actually I'd even like to use the OEM rims for Autocross and then get something nicer for when I am off the track.

They do allow to +1 or -1 the rim size, the only thing about that I am unsure about is if they consider the entire Fiesta lineup (which would allow for 15" rims), or just ST OEM rims which would limit me to 16".

I am surprised you don't think the RE-11 is a good track tire RAAMaudio, they have been one of the best Autocross tires I've ever used to date. They are heavier, but the sidewalls on those tires are ridiculously stiff to prevent them from rolling over.
The Fiesta ST has its own line in the rulebook, so no update/backdate with the regular Fiesta. If you want a great tire/wheel option that I KNOW works, the 215/40 Dunlops on the 17x7 QZ Ultras are a winning combination and within the Street Category rules.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I did not catch they made the Dunlops in 215/40/17, must of overlooked it, that would help with the height and sidewall stiffness a great deal so they just might be the way to go since proven to work well on 7's, great input, thanks Forzda1:)

I did not say the RE-11 was not a good track tire, I only said it is not the best which has been highly documented by experts and racers.
It is likely the better choice on a wet track but on dry tracks is has shown to heat up and lose grip quickly.

If you looked at the SCCA national solo winners you will find who runs and wins with what tire and you can look at regional results, forums, etc...this is not rocket science nor something just pulled off the net, it is well proven information just like Forzda2 has just posted, real results, same car, same wheel width. Sometimes the best is to use a wider tire as mentioned, often times not.

Grassroots motorsports tested the current (at the time but not that long ago) fastest tires using a long time racer, winner, championship car and found the 225/45/15 Rival the fastest and considerably quicker on a 9" wheel over an 8" wheels. This was with many sets of wheels and tires, swapping quickly to keep the weather the most constant, timed laps, all done by very seasoned racers with decades of combined experience.

But, you have to work within the rules so stepping outside the absolute best solution but doing so with the most information will yield the best results for your particular needs and restrictions.

Listen to the experts, do the research, it is all out there and easy to find, as I have done so I can make educated recommendations on real results;)

Basically I have said the same thing a few times here so just wanted to clarify things a bit more since some comments seemed to show some confusion about all this. It all still stands and now you have some real results on this particular car, plenty of places to look and see what the truth is, have fun:)

OP
P
Thread Starter #26
The Fiesta ST has its own line in the rulebook, so no update/backdate with the regular Fiesta. If you want a great tire/wheel option that I KNOW works, the 215/40 Dunlops on the 17x7 QZ Ultras are a winning combination and within the Street Category rules.
Thanks, this is the kind of info I was after when I posted up the thread!

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I can also confirm this. I have the Dunlops (215/40) on my 17x7 OZ Ultras (two autocross entered and two wins) and on my `07 MazdaSpeed6 (225/45x18) on 18x8 SSR Forged wheels (only one autocross entered and one win) and they are pretty damn good. Also note that I ran the Dunlops on the MazdaSpeed3 in Royal Purple The Forum Wars (Season 2) and won the drag race, slalom, and autocross events there as well.

Thank you for contributing a real world review and data around those tires. I run the same size tires and same size wheels, as mentioned before, in the real world, work just dandy at even 1.2 lateral G.

Izzy

Anyone else has more info. and actual pics with 225 series tires in any wheels size? I don't mind running 225 front and 215 rear as I was used to a thinner tire out back in my EG6 as long as I can get the most traction I can on this thing. Revive the thread!! Even though there's no 16x8 wheels for our cursed 4x108!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've been running a 235/40-17 on stock wheels for a while. I'm actually on my second set on the front. I run stock size in the rear, but I wish I'd gone to a slightly wider rear or at least slightly taller. Here is my warning though.... On the stock turbo, the 235 is gonna hurt your feeling at 60mph+. If you don't have a good amount of power to over come both the extra road friction as well as the gear ratio increase,

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Anyone else has more info. and actual pics with 225 series tires in any wheels size? I don't mind running 225 front and 215 rear as I was used to a thinner tire out back in my EG6 as long as I can get the most traction I can on this thing. Revive the thread!! Even though there's no 16x8 wheels for our cursed 4x108!
BFG Rival-S 225/45/15 on 15x8 ProRace TD wheels from PCA

Attachments

Izzy

BFG Rival-S 225/45/15 on 15x8 ProRace TD wheels from PCA
Thanks so much for the pics. They were extremely helpful. I know your car is extremely unique and at 375HP any tire would struggle, but how do you like the BFG Rival-S so far? ie. road noise, sidewall at turn in, and longevity. Also, are you running 225's in the rear as well?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thanks so much for the pics. They were extremely helpful. I know your car is extremely unique and at 375HP any tire would struggle, but how do you like the BFG Rival-S so far? ie. road noise, sidewall at turn in, and longevity. Also, are you running 225's in the rear as well?
You are Welcome and yep 225 all around the tires are very sticky and i would guess they will wear quicker than stock because of that but I knew that going into the purchase. I have yet to really push them on a track yet but on the street they are very well mannered and handle the car very well.

My 225 Star specs on on 16x8

DSC03323 med.JPG

Izzy

Yeah, but aren't you running 4x100? I wish I could run a 16x8...someday.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Damn those look good on your car Rod:):)

I keep getting tempted to buy a set of the tires and another set of the 9" wide wheels I have for my track tires, after I move.

Izzy

Yea, just posted though because you asked for some 225 tire shots.
Thanks I appreciate it. 16x8 is the setup I want...seems only 15x8 is in my future. We're getting no love from the aftermarket wheel manufacturers. Who ever came out with a 16x8 4x108 et42ish would make a killing!!