Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Widest Tire You Can Stuff on a Fiesta?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Getting ready for the weekend I brought my track tires up and set them next to my BFG's both sets near same air pressure around 40 psi and both on 15x8 TD pro race wheels the 205/50 A6 Hoosiers are on the left and the 225/45 BFG Rivals-S are on the right... Just food for thought.

Attachments

Izzy

So I purchased some Hyperblack Rota Grid's in 16X7 4x108 +42 (Uggg...wish the were 16x8)...I've read that 225/50/16 is said to rub...anyone knows if 215/50/16 fits? I'm lowered on Mountune springs so it's about an inch drop all around. Just trying to determine all my tire options right now. Would like to run 225/45/16, but my preferred tire (RE-11) is not available that size; nearest is 215/50/16. Need something that's really good in the dry but stout in the rain. Houston has been crazy with rain lately.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I would fine some great 205's for 7's if my car, I do not like squishy sidewalls, some tires are designed to be very stiff and work on narrower wheels though.

In general you can get buy with wider tires on narrower wheels on the street and autocross with the right tires. For road race tracks where you are going much faster and more on the edge a narrower tire on the same wheel is going to be faster.

I know I have mentioned this many times and probably more than once on this thread but I keep seeing those wanting to stuff to much tire on their wheels and some just not knowing it is not a performance enhancement a great deal of the time.

Those Hoosiers are super fat tires, I tried to fit 225 R6's on the back on my 9" wheels, impossible without major metal work as in cutting, welding, painting, etc....225 RA1 barely fit. On the front I had to loosen and really pull the fenders out after rolling as far as I could for the R6 tires but the RA1's I moved the fenders back in a fair amount. Some racers actually run the 205 on 9" wide wheels!

Izzy

RAAMaudio...I totally agree and utterly understand where you're coming from. However, not autox'ing nor road racing yet. Just want the absolute widest tire I can manage on a 16x7 wheel for contact patch to handle the low end torque. Yesterday while taking off from a light I gingerly got it to about 2.5krpm the mashed it to WOT and it just stayed in nearly one spot. My old turbo civic had torque much later in the power band so that sensation was never an issue. Just trying to make this thing hook.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I actually like the 205's... The problem is... Once the car is no longer stock, they can't handle the power and your left with 2 choices.
#1 expensive 205's that need replaced every 10-15k
#2 larger tires.

If I could afford #1, I'd do that.

Izzy

I actually like the 205's... The problem is... Once the car is no longer stock, they can't handle the power and your left with 2 choices.
#2 larger tires.

Might compromise on 215's as middle ground. Still looking into getting info if 215/50/16 fit without rubbing. Tire Rack has a sale on the Direzza DZ102 in 215/50/16 for 94 bucks ea. plus 60 rebate. If not then I'll go with 225/45/16 Direzza ZII Star Spec's. So many tires in 225/50/16...just sad...soooo sad...[mecry]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If your primary concern is pulling from a dig, first and second gear traction then the stickiest and widest tire will help the most but to wide and you will compromise feedback and control even on lower speed corners, as in all things there is balance to consider.

-------------

400WHP in a Subaru generally means a built engine if you want it to last very long and they are expensive to build, why I parted to stock and got rid of my very modified and shockingly good handling Forester XT, auto cross, track and street it was amazing for a mini SUV but a lot of money went into it to make it so.
With 4:44 gears and just 280 ft lbs at the wheels, autocross tires, parking lot, 1.6 second 60 ft time so quick off the line!
-------------

Izzy

Can anyone confirm if 225/45/16 fits on Mountune springs?

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
#2 larger tires.

I just replaced my 215/40-17 Dunlop Direzza ZII's. I got 23,000 miles out of them despite never rotating them AND having a low 180 wear rating. I replaced them with ZII Star Spec in the same size. The star specs are 200 wear rating. At $156.00 each, they aren't cheap but they lasted much longer than I would have thought. [like]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is great wear out of basically a street/track tire:)

Wider is only better if stickier so a 205 or 215 may still work better for acceleration than a 225.

Another thing to consider is accelerating out of a corner where the narrower tire may be better as well, sure will steer better.

For those with stock turbo and the big torque spike, especially tuned, consider tuning with less of it in the lower gears so you can use the power more readily and not have to try to rely on fatter tires to deal with wheel spin.

I have a rather flat bottom end with the EFR turbo, not weak, (while makes it a nice easy cruiser, tuning should wake it up a bit more) but once in boost the car hauls arse and I barely have any second gear wheel spin, it will light them up in first but a light feathering keeps it hooked up. I am only running 205/45/17 PS3 AS tires and they work far better than expected.

Too many compromises putting fat tires on narrow wheels from my decades of experience modding cars and always about handling first, why I bought this car and I hope most others:)

Im going to bump this thread since I am curious if anyone has been pushing these limits at all.

I am currently running a 215/45/17 snow tire on a 17x8 et42 with Mountune springs. Now with my tabs trimmed I get little to no rubbing currently so I am pretty happy. I want to keep the 17's and am thinking about running a 235/40/17 for summer. According to the tire calc this shouldnt be a problem if I am having no issues right now with my 215/45. I will be doing the occasional track day and mountain runs. The tire will be the R888r (dont need opinions on the tire as there are reasons I am running this tire). I just want to decide between a 215/45 and 235/40. Right now I am leaning to the 235. I think Sourskittles is the only one running this size but in the front and I think on stock suspension and wheels. Thoughts?

Pete

Im going to bump this thread since I am curious if anyone has been pushing these limits at all.

I am currently running a 215/45/17 snow tire on a 17x8 et42 with Mountune springs. Now with my tabs trimmed I get little to no rubbing currently so I am pretty happy. I want to keep the 17's and am thinking about running a 235/40/17 for summer. According to the tire calc this shouldnt be a problem if I am having no issues right now with my 215/45. I will be doing the occasional track day and mountain runs. The tire will be the R888r (dont need opinions on the tire as there are reasons I am running this tire). I just want to decide between a 215/45 and 235/40. Right now I am leaning to the 235. I think Sourskittles is the only one running this size but in the front and I think on stock suspension and wheels. Thoughts?
I have but haven't had the chance to run yet 235/40/17 bfg r1's on a 17x8 1552 tarmac. My issue was with camber at -2.2 degrees the tire was touching the strut on the front. I have sense got a 15mm garageline spacer and plan to run -2.8 to -3 degrees of camber. Again I haven't had a chance to drive the car on the setup due to my engine being built.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm in the same process. I think that I'm going with the 215/45 because I really want to run the RE-71R's which are not available in 235/40 and because 235's might be a tad wide for 8" wheels. I use my FiST as a fun/AX car - I'd probably go 235/40 if I didn't AX.

I have but haven't had the chance to run yet 235/40/17 bfg r1's on a 17x8 1552 tarmac. My issue was with camber at -2.2 degrees the tire was touching the strut on the front. I have sense got a 15mm garageline spacer and plan to run -2.8 to -3 degrees of camber. Again I haven't had a chance to drive the car on the setup due to my engine being built.
On the KW V3 you are hitting the shock? Interesting. I was planning to run slight camber up front -2.5 or so. I will have to subscribe to your build [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] as I am curious on your final setup. 17x8 with a et28 offset and 235's sounds like flare territory to me ha!

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I run a 235/40-17 on a stock rim. I get a super slight rub if I hit the sharpest/quickest bump at speed. But it's caused zero issues. I'm not even sure what it's rubbing. But I'm on my 2nd set ( on the front only ), and they never showed signs of the TIRE being rubbed or anything. Chances are, my next set will be 235's too.

But beware. It changes the gear ratio a good bit. Without the power to over come that, the car may feel less responsive. With power you need traction, so it's worth the trade off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete

On the KW V3 you are hitting the shock? Interesting. I was planning to run slight camber up front -2.5 or so. I will have to subscribe to your build [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] as I am curious on your final setup. 17x8 with a et28 offset and 235's sounds like flare territory to me ha!
with the amount of camber I will be running it should be pretty flush I may have to do the trick of unbolting the fenders to pull them out a bit. But when I get back to that area I'll figure something out.