Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd Resonance Sound After Intake Install

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah its a bit of a bummer, all signs pointed to the SS because even others with a stock intake were experiencing the sound.

The thread is a bit inconclusive. One guy got a new transmission from Ford, but the sound was much more prevalent and turned into a grinding type sound eventually.

I'm tempted to put the stock intake back on, just to see if it is the COBB intake. Like COBB suggests. Then there's your car that has the intake and NO sound. [dunno]
Well if you put the stock intake back on and there's no whirling that would certainly verify this in your case...

Perhaps a few others here on the forum that have also just recently installed the Cobb intake can chime in...

I know I didn't notice any difference in sound whatsoever over the stock intake after I installed mine...And usually after I install a new mod such as an new intake or exhaust system I tend to be hypersensitive looking to hear a difference in sound....

hey keep us posted...I'm interested in hearing what you find!

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #22
Well if you put the stock intake back on that and there's no whirling that would certainly verify this in your case...

Perhaps a few others here on the forum that have also just recently installed the Cobb intake can chime in...

I know I didn't notice any difference in sound whatsoever over the stock intake after I installed mine...And usually after I install a new mod such as an new intake or exhaust system I tend to be hypersensitive looking to hear a difference in sound....

hey keep us posted...I'm interested in hearing what you find!
So COBB was right it is the intake...After reinstalling the stock intake the sound is completely gone. So really it just leaves the question what is different about your intake or what did we did wrong when we installed my COBB intake? Before I took the COBB intake off, I checked everything again, probably the 4th time. This isn't my first rodeo, and its pretty damn simple stuff here. Really the only thing I can question is the PCV nipple on the intake tube (pre installed from factory). It was snug, but it could possibly take another complete rotation. I was just a little worried it would strip out in there. Did you just tighten yours by hand?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
So COBB was right it is the intake...After reinstalling the stock intake the sound is completely gone. So really it just leaves the question what is different about your intake or what did we did wrong when we installed my COBB intake? Before I took the COBB intake off, I checked everything again, probably the 4th time. This isn't my first rodeo, and its pretty damn simple stuff here. Really the only thing I can question is the PCV nipple on the intake tube (pre installed from factory). It was snug, but it could possibly take another complete rotation. I was just a little worried it would strip out in there. Did you just tighten yours by hand?
Yes ...the PCV nipple is preinstalled on the Cobb CAI but I found it needed another rotation to seat that PCV nipple flush to the pipe....

oh btw...you just reminded me of something else that came to my attention while installing Cobb's CAI!

When I installed Cobb's CAI a few weeks ago I also noticed that the cone filter "floats" freely within the OE airbox...Since the top side is not supported I was somewhat concerned that during engine vibration the tube and cone would vibrate vertically causing the cone to hit the side wall protrusions of the narrowing OE airbox....Just take a quick look at your Cobb CAI installed and you'll see how easy it is to move the air tube vertically within the box while installed by pushing down on the tube above the air box which doesn't take much effort to do so....I believe that the one and only bracket used does not adequately prevent this vertical movement of the tube and filter within the airbox once everything is installed properly....(see pic#1 below)

Pic#1

Cobb CAI Filter Movement.jpg

Now there is an easy solution...I purchased a short 3" dia coupler and trimmed it to 1" height and used a worm clamp to secure it to the pipe above the airbox lid ....As a result this now keeps the tube and filter cone secure and free of any vertical movement within the box caused by engine movements and vibration....(see pic #2 below)

Again, this is an easy fix I think Cobb should incorporate to prevent possible damage to the filter cone that currently floats freely within the air box ...This will also provide a more secure seal between the lid and air tube...

I sent Cobb Support all this info btw...

Pic #2

Cobb CAI Filter Movement Fix.jpg

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #24
Yes ...the PCV nipple is preinstalled on the Cobb CAI but I found it needed another rotation to seat that PCV nipple flush to the pipe....

oh btw...you just reminded me of something else that came to my attention while installing Cobb's CAI!

When I installed Cobb's CAI a few weeks ago I also noticed that the cone filter "floats" freely within the OE airbox...Since the top side is not supported I was somewhat concerned that during engine vibration the tube and cone would vibrate vertically causing the cone to hit the side wall protrusions of the narrowing OE airbox....Just take a quick look at your Cobb CAI installed and you'll see how easy it is to move the air tube vertically within the box while installed by pushing down on the tube above the air box which doesn't take much effort to do so....I believe that the one and only bracket used does not adequately prevent this vertical movement of the tube and filter within the airbox once everything is installed properly....(see pic#1 below)

Pic#1

View attachment 2758

Now there is an easy solution...I purchased a short 3" dia coupler and trimmed it to 1" height and used a worm clamp to secure it to the pipe above the airbox lid ....As a result this now keeps the tube and filter cone secure and free of any vertical movement within the box caused by engine movements and vibration....(see pic #2 below)

Again, this is an easy fix I think Cobb should incorporate to prevent damage to the filter cone that currently floats freely within the air box over a relatively short period of time after installation...

I sent Cobb Support all this info btw...

Pic #2

View attachment 2759
More really good ideas here! I noticed the same thing after the COBB was installed. The one hard mount wasn't sufficient to keep the filter end sturdy enough. Im surprised they didn't add another hard mount on the MAF tube like some other intakes have.

I did tighten the PCV an additional turn from the factory. It seems like it could possibly go one more, but that may be too much (doubtful that's what's causing the problem anyway). I have gotten back to COBB support with my findings and to see if they have any final thoughts on why some are experiencing my issues and others are not. Not really sure where to go from here.... I don't know if I can live with that sound lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
At this point I can't explain why I'm not hearing the same swirling sounds with my CAI installed as your hearing after installing yours with the exception of the slight modification I did to my CAI? Like I said earlier there was no difference in sound from before and after my install... Might be helpful if some others that have installed the Cobb CAI chime in and see if they too are experiencing this whirling noise?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I have the sound on the stock box. It used to annoy me but now I seem to like it for some reason. I guess it grew on me.

Be careful with the PCV nipple as it should be a standard pipe thread which is tapered in order to seat/seal while tightening. Trying to bottom it out like a normal nut/bolt just leads to expansion of the material it's threaded into and can lead to cracks and an inability to seal over time.

I have the same sound with my FSWERKS intake, so sounds like no matter what intake you have its gonna make it, I thought it was just the sound of the intake sucking air, never bothered me

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
so sounds like no matter what intake you have its gonna make it
I don't seem to have this sound with my Mountune intake.

I do have another question for you that have the Cobb intake.
Will the cross pipe work with the stock intake?
I think the flow might be better then the OE pipe.

Dave

Yeah. And please don't make a thread when your car catches fire asking for sympathy
If you really believe your assertion, then there's no hope for you. Do you have any actual training/knowledge/experience, or are you just regurgitating what you "think"?

Nah, just forget it. Not worth the effort to try and educate you in the material properties and physics related to the sound symposer hardware. Just enjoy your time in the ignorant bliss of youth.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
End result: engine fire.
Please explain how blocking off the symposer will cause an engine fire. Maybe paper towels aren't the greatest idea, but considering he's placing them on the flex pipe side I'd like to know. They can't possible be sucked into the engine from that side. I've taken apart the box and can confirm that.

Please explain how blocking off the symposer will cause an engine fire. Maybe paper towels aren't the greatest idea, but considering he's placing them on the flex pipe side I'd like to know. They can't possible be sucked into the engine from that side. I've taken apart the box and can confirm that.
You're wasting your time even asking, because there is no explanation to his assertion, other than blissful ignorance. He means well, I'm sure. Bless his heart...

Ok, back to the intake "noise"!

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks, the photos help.
The ribbed section is not the issue as I have smooth silicone there.
I does look like the Cobb cross pipe could be trimmed to replace the OE pipe.

Thank you,
Dave

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thanks, the photos help.

I does look like the Cobb cross pipe could be trimmed to replace the OE pipe.
Thank you,
Dave
Yeah...I suppose you could trim back the long pipe to fit...you might need to have a lip added after trimming the pipe to prevent the tube from slipping off...

Sorry..back on topic...how bout those damn annoying whirling noises some folks are hearing! :)

My FiST with the prototype COBB intake makes the exact same sound as the video above. In San Antonio they have these river boats and under one of the bridges are bats. I could hear them squeeking, but my dad couldn't. Maybe some people just don't notice it?

Ian

Because under hood temps are 150 degrees +. Properly plugging the symposer is great. Stuffing paper towels into it , is just plain stupid, I mean this is absurd I can't believe I have to explain to someone placing paper towels in an engine bay is very dangerous.

You're wasting your time even asking, because there is no explanation to his assertion, other than blissful ignorance. He means well, I'm sure. Bless his heart...

Ok, back to the intake "noise"!
Yeah. My blissful ignorance has blinded me because I'm warning you about causing an engine fire. you really think it's safe to put paper towels in your engine bay. Really hilarious.

If you really believe your assertion, then there's no hope for you. Do you have any actual training/knowledge/experience, or are you just regurgitating what you "think"?

Nah, just forget it. Not worth the effort to try and educate you in the material properties and physics related to the sound symposer hardware. Just enjoy your time in the ignorant bliss of youth.
If you do just have paper towels ghetto plugging the symposer, you also have a boost leak from not having a air tight seal. Your plugging a hole connected to a pipe inches before the throttle body....

If you do just have paper towels ghetto plugging the symposer, you also have a boost leak from not having a air tight seal. Your plugging a hole connected to a pipe inches before the throttle body....
Like I said, "Bless your heart", you blissfully ignorant person.

Because under hood temps are 150 degrees +. Properly plugging the symposer is great. Stuffing paper towels into it , is just plain stupid, I mean this is absurd I can't believe I have to explain to someone placing paper towels in an engine bay is very dangerous.
You do know there are horribly dangerous and unsafe petroleum, alcohol, and other terrible substances located within your engine bay, right? Blissful ignorance is a powerful inhibitor of learning.

Ok, I'm obviously picking on the handicapped, so I'll be kind and refrain from further educatory comments concerning your absurd assertion.