Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd Resonance Sound After Intake Install

Mine doesn't make the exact same noise as the video (the blowing over the top of a empty bottle sound) but it makes a shhhhhhhhhh sound at lower rpms and only while barely touching the throttle, if I push into the throttle more then all I hear is turbo spool. I think its just the sound of the transition from vac to boost or the turbo at lower psi (under light load). It started making this sound after installing the ingen intake, never noticed it with the stock intake. The sound didn't change after installing the boomba symposer delete. It doesn't really bother me because I usually have the radio on listening to music and the sound sorta fades into the background then. Once I get the exhaust installed I probably won't notice it anymore.

I hear it on my completely stock intake. It almost sounds like they are opening the BPV on off-boost throttle to flow a little more air for the engine. I can see it benefiting when there is no boost. Have any of the tuners seen a setting in there where it would do this?

I hear it on my completely stock intake. It almost sounds like they are opening the BPV on off-boost throttle to flow a little more air for the engine. I can see it benefiting when there is no boost. Have any of the tuners seen a setting in there where it would do this?
It's very pronounced with the Boomba BOV spacer. If you are going at a steady and slow speed with very little throttle the BPV will open a bit and hiss. Lift or put your foot down and it stops. I assumed this was the ECU trying to keep boost at a specific psi while at light load. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Edit: I heard no sound with the stock intake or the Mountune one I have now. It was only after adding the BOV spacer that I started to notice it. It doesn't really bug me, because it happens very rarely and only at low speed light throttle.

Just like in the OP video, I notice it most at light throttle around 2000-2500 RPM. There is no boost when the sound happens and in fact, if you push on the throttle and make some positive pressure, the sound goes away.

I would be worried if it is opening the BPV under low throttle, no boost scenarios that the Boomba BPV adapter would be allowing it to suck in dirty air.

Just like in the OP video, I notice it most at light throttle around 2000-2500 RPM. There is no boost when the sound happens and in fact, if you push on the throttle and make some positive pressure, the sound goes away.

I would be worried if it is opening the BPV under low throttle, no boost scenarios that the Boomba BPV adapter would be allowing it to suck in dirty air.
Why would the BPV ever open under vacuum?

To improve off-boost throttle response and power. Other wise, with a tiny turbo like this, it's like trying to feed an N/A engine through a 1.5" hole. Open the BPV, you are adding to the volume of air it can pull in when there isn't positive pressure.

Just a theory, but it's what it seems like is going on.

Yannoche

To improve off-boost throttle response and power. Other wise, with a tiny turbo like this, it's like trying to feed an N/A engine through a 1.5" hole. Open the BPV, you are adding to the volume of air it can pull in when there isn't positive pressure.

Hello,

I have the same "problem" and I want a solution.

Do you know more?

best regards
Yann

dyn085

2000 Post Club

I don't foresee that happening, it's still held closed with spring pressure.

Because the computer commands it to? This isn't a vacuum controlled BPV, it's an electronic solenoid.

Command the BPV open during low vacuum throttle, you now have the combined volume of the compressor and the BPV tube to flow enough air to give it better off-boost power rather than having the BPV closed and having it running off-boost with only the volume of a tiny compressor.

Not usually a big deal with a larger compressor that has a 2.5" or 3" inlet and a 2" outlet, but these compressors are tiny, and commanding the BPV open during light vacuum throttle (10 in/hg) would increase its ability to make power without having to dip in to the throttle more to make a few PSI of boost. You could also open the BPV when the compressor is spinning fast enough to make a couple of PSI, but you don't want it to so it would just recycle air to avoid making the boost. Like a controlled boost leak.

I just bought a used 2015 FiST with appx 5500 miles on it, all stock. I have the same noise...air blowing over an open bottle with throttle at about 2000rpm usually 1-4 gears. It kinda worried me at first, but I guess lots of FiST owners are experiencing this. Maybe Fordservice could chime in if they know anything.

I just bought a used 2015 FiST with appx 5500 miles on it, all stock. I have the same noise...air blowing over an open bottle with throttle at about 2000rpm usually 1-4 gears. It kinda worried me at first, but I guess lots of FiST owners are experiencing this. Maybe Fordservice could chime in if they know anything.
Hi okietwisterdan,

Great question. Your dealer will be in the best position to sound off on your concern, since I'm neither a technician, nor hands-on with your car. Let me know what you find out! :)

Meagan

DarkStar

Bringing this back from the dead, but I've got the same thing going on with my Cobb intake. Only happens with part-throttle, exactly as in the video. Any update from anyone on how to mitigate this? Its driving me nuts.

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #76
Bringing this back from the dead, but I've got the same thing going on with my Cobb intake. Only happens with part-throttle, exactly as in the video. Any update from anyone on how to mitigate this? Its driving me nuts.
I deleted the SS and got an exhaust. I'm sure the sound is still there, just can't hear it anymore [:)]

DarkStar

I deleted the SS and got an exhaust. I'm sure the sound is still there, just can't hear it anymore [:)]
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I did the same thing, minus the exhaust. I think I'm just going to go with a resonator delete for the time being to see how it sounds. Really wish there was a way to remedy the issue though.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
The honking, hair dryer noise is normal. You won't hear it when using the the stock airbox but when you go to an exposed element filter it will make this noise. I happen to love it myself. LOL. Listen to the FoST in this video. My car makes all those same noises with an FSWERKs intake. hahaha

[video=youtube;5HOjh6T7cMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOjh6T7cMk[/video]

bumping this. I also have this Didgeridoo noise exactly as described in this thread. I was hoping an intake might remedy the problem but it has only made it worse. deleting the SS in both cases made no difference.

all stock @ <8,000 miles = no sound from what i can remember
all stock* @ >8,000 miles = a little noise, kind of annoying
all stock* + SS delete = no difference
*the sound seemed to subside when the car got up to temp IIRC

all stock + MAP intake = LOTS of [didgeridoo] noise, VERY annoying, kind of embarrassing
all stock + MAP intake + SS delete = no difference

Has anyone solved this issue?

Ford Community Posts