Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd Resonance Sound After Intake Install

And here I thought I did something wrong when installing my K&N intake, it makes the same noise.

I guess there isn't a sure fix for it, other than turning the volume up on the radio a bit more. Oh well.

After installing a Mountune turbo back I'm getting a very loud resonance in the cabin.
I can't imagine that the sound should be so deafening. I'm wondering if I've made a big
mistake by installing it. Do I need to add a resonator to bring the sound down?

I loved the cat back, only noticed it under acceleration or deceleration, sounded great with no drone. I'm unfamiliar with how the turbo back sounds though...

DvC

After installing a Mountune turbo back I'm getting a very loud resonance in the cabin.
I can't imagine that the sound should be so deafening. I'm wondering if I've made a big
mistake by installing it. Do I need to add a resonator to bring the sound down?
Probably rubbing on some below or it is leaking somewhere. Need to get back jnxer and check it out

Hey everyone I have been lurking these types of posts regarding the aftermarket intake resonance sound for a while now and I had an update you folks might be interested in.

I have had a MAPerformance intake installed on my car for about 3 months now and especially with a tune the resonance noise was annoying the **** out of me. I tried different tunes and some more than others kept the turbo spooled and air flowing thru the intake system at a speed/velocity where the resonance noise didn't bother me too much but there were obviously trade-offs and it seemed like i could have a tune that drove crappy and reduced the bottle blowing noise, or i could have a good tune and the bottle blowing noise would increase.

Anyway, I also noticed some chirping on my stock diverter valve which got me interested in the GFB DV+ adapter

SO..... after 3 days of running the DV+ i cannot for the life of me replicate the resonance noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried replicating the noise with the car at cold start in cold weather, warmed up in warm weather, and any combination of these conditions - absolutely no noise! It has been a bit warmer here in MN lately and in the hot weather i for sure get no resonance. I drove to work this morning and it was around 62 degrees mild humidity (a case where I was getting resonance before) and its not happening even it that condition.....

SO perhaps this noise is caused by the stock diverter valve??? Is anyone getting this resonance noise running a BOV?? TO me it kind of makes sense that since the aftermarket intake makes the diverter valve "pshh" off throttle louder that it would make any other funny noise caused by the diverter valve louder.

Either way im a bit suprised, with what I am experiencing lately and I am interested in yalls thoughts on this

Thanks,
JS

CSM

1000 Post Club
Bringing this back from the dead....

There was a recent thread on Reddit/Fiesta ST where someone also reported fixing the "blowing air over bottle" resonance with the GFB DV+ unit. So that may be a good fix.

I myself have the Boomba Recirculating BPV (boost operated) and it did not fix the resonance issue. I just live with it.

Jonyfiver

I can hear the sound faintly with the stock box and K&N filter but as soon as I put the COBB on it almost gives me a headache. I did the SS delete and that didn’t seem to do jack.

DanFromCLE

I think we need to keep this thread going till we find a solution... In fact I think it should be a sticky.. Seems like A LOT of people are dealing with this issue and the fact that a fix hasn't been found in 4 years seems bonkers. Any mods willing to do that?

Also I'm curious about the GFB DV+ now.... My question is, if my car is completely stock, will anything bad happen if I have it installed? Will it adversely affect the performance of my car if everything is stock?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I think we need to keep this thread going till we find a solution... In fact I think it should be a sticky.. Seems like A LOT of people are dealing with this issue and the fact that a fix hasn't been found in 4 years seems bonkers. Any mods willing to do that?

Also I'm curious about the GFB DV+ now.... My question is, if my car is completely stock, will anything bad happen if I have it installed? Will it adversely affect the performance of my car if everything is stock?
No it's more durable and quicker acting than stock bpv .