Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Odd Resonance Sound After Intake Install

So after I installed a COBB Intake on my car it has devleoped a bit of a "whine" type sound. It occurs in between 2-3kRPMS and it's most notable at modest throttle, under load only. It almost sounds like air going over an empty bottle. I approached Cobb support about the sound and they came back with the following:

The additional noise is the result of the removal of the resonance chamber that is present on the OEM intake system. We have tested our intake against multiple Fiesta intakes(from other manufacturers) and it appears that this resonance is present across the board.
I'm not doubting COBB and their response does makes sense. I'm merely starting this thread to see if others are experiencing this sound, aftermarket intake or not.

I dug a little bit and found this thread http://fiestast.net/threads/a-little-help-a-new-annoying-sound.1358/ (inconclusive) and it seems others, even with stock cars are experiencing this sound. A few people from that thread even ended up with new transmissions because of a similar type sound. I highly doubt its a transmission issue in my case, due to the timing of when it started making noise and the fact that everything is performing as it should.

Again, not doubting COBB, just want to see if others are experiencing what I am. The sound is a bit annoying and if there's a fix I'd like to address it.

Below is a video I found, displaying the exact same noise. Some good spots to listen are at about 24, 38, 55 and 59 seconds.

[video=youtube_share;pfC9h-M4X-E]http://youtu.be/pfC9h-M4X-E[/video]

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I have the Cobb CAI installed but I can't say that I'm hearing the same sound that you describe....Actually pretty much no difference in sound before and after install of their CAI...

That said....I also had the symposer box essentially deleted in the system prior to install of the CAI which I found did produce a similar type of sound that your are describing....It was annoying as hell!

Did you also do a quick recheck of all the couplings after install to make sure they're secured well and there are no leaks present? Sorry...had to ask...but I'm sure you probably did! :)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I get the same sound with my mountune intake, although I can barely hear it over my exhaust, lol. I actually like the sound.

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #4
I have the Cobb CAI installed but I can't say that I'm hearing the same sound that you describe....Actually pretty much no difference in sound before and after install of their CAI...

That said....I also had the symposer box essentially deleted in the system prior to install of the CAI which I found did produce a similar type of sound that your are describing....It was annoying as hell!

Did you also do a quick recheck of all the couplings after install to make sure they're secured well and there are no leaks present?
I did recheck everything and all the couplings are solid. There is the PCV hose, maybe depending on the way it was routed and the length is was cut to could cause some odd harmonics? You since have reconnected the symposer? Maybe I should inspect that system.

I get the same sound with my mountune intake, although I can barely hear it over my exhaust, lol. I actually like the sound.
haha I wish I liked the sound. Would much prefer to not have it present lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I did recheck everything and all the couplings are solid. There is the PCV hose, maybe depending on the way it was routed and the length is was cut to could cause some odd harmonics? You since have reconnected the symposer? Maybe I should inspect that system.
oh no..the symposer remains deleted from the system...hated that sound which also produced a whirling noise around the same rpm you describe...I'd much prefer hearing the Cobb TBE without any faux exhaust sound enhancements :)

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/146-Fiesta-ST-Sound-Symposer?p=45189&viewfull=1#post45189

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #6
oh no..the symposer remains deleted from the system...hated that sound which also produced a whirling noise around the same rpm you describe...I'd much prefer hearing the Cobb TBE without any faux exhaust sound enhancements :)

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/146-Fiesta-ST-Sound-Symposer?p=45189&viewfull=1#post45189
Ahhh gotcha, you experienced the sound WITH it in tact. There was mention of the symposer causing this sound in that other thread as well. Thanks for the link!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ahhh gotcha, you experienced the sound WITH it in tact. There was mention of the symposer causing this sound in that other thread as well. Thanks for the link!
oh yeah...heard similar sound you describe with symposer intact and stock intake....I found it was definitely the symposer making those annoying noises...And with the Cobb CAI and symposer still deleted from system still no annoying whirling sounds....that symposer made sounds like an Australian didgeridoo at times! LOL

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #8
oh yeah...heard similar sound you describe with symposer intact and stock intake....I found it was definitely the symposer making those annoying noises...And with the Cobb CAI and symposer still deleted from system still no annoying whirling sounds....that symposer made sounds like an Australian didgeridoo at times! LOL
haha a didgeridoo! I'm gonna buy that plug tomorrow and see what happens. Ill report back with my results. Thanks again.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
haha a didgeridoo! I'm gonna buy that plug tomorrow and see what happens. Ill report back with my results. Thanks again.
yeah...that damn symposer box produced some seriously creepy haunting sounding whirling noises!

hey no prob...and yeah that box needs to essentially be eliminated by plugging the air source between charge pipe and symposer box....just pulling that ribbed hose off after the box (between box and cabin) might lessen the symposer sound reaching the cabin but you'll can still hear it under the hood...I've read where some folks were even stuffing things into the box itself to eliminate the noise! I guess whatever works! :)

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #10
hey no prob...and yeah that box needs to essentially be eliminated by plugging the air source between charge pipe and symposer box....just pulling that ribbed hose off after the box (between box and cabin) might lessen the symposer sound reaching the cabin but you'll can still hear it under the hood...I've read where some folks were even stuffing things into the box itself to eliminate the noise! I guess whatever works! :)
Your method definitely makes the most sense! Insanely clean as well, which is always my goal.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Your method definitely makes the most sense! Insanely clean as well, which is always my goal.
I agree...simple and clean is always best :)

Also the reason why I thought this would be the best approach taken is that after some further tuning (resulting in raising boost levels) I simply wasn't comfortable with having that much boost pressure channeled into that plastic symposer box with diaphragm that could possibly get damaged over time and cause some problematic leaks to occur since the symposer source is taken directly off the charge pipe...

Just to chime in, I get the same noise with my injen intake. Wish someone would make a delete kit.

Just to chime in, I get the same noise with my injen intake. Wish someone would make a delete kit.
Delete kit= 2 paper towels.

Install instructions:
- Step 1 = Remove flex tube tube end from symposer box.

- Step 2 = Stuff one paper towel into the symposer box.

- Step 3 = Stuff the other paper towel into the flex hose open end.

- Step 4 = Install flex hose back onto symposer box. Done.

- Step 5 = Enjoy "un-symposed" engine and exhaust sounds.

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #14
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I bought the expansion plug that BoostBumps mentions in his How-To, hoping for the best.

Delete kit= 2 paper towels.

Install instructions:
- Step 1 = Remove flex tube tube end from symposer box.

- Step 2 = Stuff one paper towel into the symposer box.

- Step 3 = Stuff the other paper towel into the flex hose open end.

- Step 4 = Install flex hose back onto symposer box. Done.

- Step 5 = Enjoy "un-symposed" engine and exhaust sounds.
End result: engine fire.

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #18
Well unfortunately completely deleting the Sound Symposer system by using an expanding plug in the charge pipe didn't fix the issue =/ Not a complete waste of time though. I do like it better without the SS and I'm sure once I do an exhaust it'll sound much better. Anyone have any other ideas?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Well unfortunately completely deleting the Sound Symposer system by using an expanding plug in the charge pipe didn't fix the issue =/ Not a complete waste of time though. I do like it better without the SS and I'm sure once I do an exhaust it'll sound much better. Anyone have any other ideas?
hmmmm.. I wonder what else could be causing this? I know for me that damn symposer was definetly the root cause of the whirling noise I was hearing...

Hey ...Did you find anything else that may point to the cause of this odd noise your hearing in the thread you posted earlier in reference to the same complaints others have been experiencing???

I dug a little bit and found this thread http://fiestast.net/threads/a-little-help-a-new-annoying-sound.1358/ (inconclusive) and it seems others, even with stock cars are experiencing this sound. A few people from that thread even ended up with new transmissions because of a similar type sound. I highly doubt its a transmission issue in my case, due to the timing of when it started making noise and the fact that everything is performing as it should.

OP
MMMTRBO
Thread Starter #20
hmmmm.. I wonder what else could be causing this? I know for me that damn symposer was definetly the root cause of the whirling noise I was hearing...

Hey ...Did you find anything that points to the cause of this odd noise your hearing in the thread you posted earlier in reference to the same complaints others have been experiencing???
Yeah its a bit of a bummer, all signs pointed to the SS because even others with a stock intake were experiencing the sound.

The thread is a bit inconclusive. One guy got a new transmission from Ford, but the sound was much more prevalent and turned into a grinding type sound eventually.

I'm tempted to put the stock intake back on, just to see if it is the COBB intake. Like COBB suggests. Then there's your car that has the intake and NO sound. [dunno]