Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ticking Knocking Noise from the Engine

GAbOS

Here's a question.

Has anyone confirmed this is an actual issue or are we just perpetuating misinformation??

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Here's a question.

Has anyone confirmed this is an actual issue or are we just perpetuating misinformation??
I don't think anyone in here is perpetuating misinformation. DI engines are relatively new to a lot of people do the sounds one makes can be a bit disconcerting. You can't necessarily blame people for being concerned when their brand-new car sounds like an old jalopy at idle, especially when their previous vehicle probably spooned 'better' (or quieter at the very least).

With that being said, this is my fourth DI-equipped car since 2012, so the noise barely registers anymore. If anything, my FoST is significantly worse in the sounds it makes.

I took a video of my car this morning making the noise so everyone can see its the same noise as the op noise starts very faint but by the end of the video you can really hear it I also rev a bit at the end of the video and the noise disappears for a second then returns when back to idle.

link for video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_Cvoms9MI

Also want to mention i changed the oil at 1880km because i thought maybe it would help but nope still the same i used a ford oil filter and 4.3 quarts of mobil1 synthetic car drained just over 4 quarts of oil so the oil was full.

Yup thats the same noise i hear in my ST too. Everybody says its normal so just live with it if its running fine [dunno]

no-pistons

Not sure what my issue is, but the ticking/tapping goes away when I press in the clutch. Then returns when I let the clutch back out. Ticking/tapping speeds up if I rev the engine when sitting in neutral.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I took a video of my car this morning making the noise so everyone can see its the same noise as the op noise starts very faint but by the end of the video you can really hear it I also rev a bit at the end of the video and the noise disappears for a second then returns when back to idle.
Yup, the same as both of mine. It's much more noticeable in the FoST though.
Not sure what my issue is, but the ticking/tapping goes away when I press in the clutch. Then returns when I let the clutch back out. Ticking/tapping speeds up if I rev the engine when sitting in neutral.
There are a bunch of different idle settings. Clutch in, clutch out, cold/warm/hot versions of each, plus more iirc. You're just hearing the ECU transition between them.

me32

1000 Post Club

link for video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo_Cvoms9MI
I dont have that nosie. But why is the 1st thing people seem to do is change the oil? On a brand new car especially if it made the noise when buying it

1. Why Would you buy it?
2. Why wouldn't you Have the dealer look at it the same day of the next day.

no-pistons

Yup, the same as both of mine. It's much more noticeable in the FoST though.

There are a bunch of different idle settings. Clutch in, clutch out, cold/warm/hot versions of each, plus more iirc. You're just hearing the ECU transition between them.

Sounds good! Thanks for that info. I'll just continue driving it like a maniac then haha

I dont have that nosie. But why is the 1st thing people seem to do is change the oil? On a brand new car especially if it made the noise when buying it

1. Why Would you buy it?
2. Why wouldn't you Have the dealer look at it the same day of the next day.
1. It was not making that noise until I got home with it and I just changed the oil because I thought it was worth a try you never know obviously a waste of money.
2. Called the dealership the min I got home and they wont see it for 3 weeks yep ridiculous if you ask me but theirs nothing I can do about that going in on Friday this week.

me32

1000 Post Club
1. It was not making that noise until I got home with it and I just changed the oil because I thought it was worth a try you never know obviously a waste of money.
2. Called the dealership the min I got home and they wont see it for 3 weeks yep ridiculous if you ask me but theirs nothing I can do about that going in on Friday this week.
Contact the ford rep on this site they can normally help speed the process up. 3 weeks is a long time but since the car isnt broke i see why. Keep us posted

Hey Cichlid,

Thanks for posting about your concern. I'm going to look into this to see how I can help. Please PM your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

Hi all new user here. I just brought a new st yesterday in the uk with same knocking noise on idle. My ford dealer has received a message in November on there internal system about this subject referred to as a typewriter type sound and they now know the problem and have a fix for it. I believe it is to do with the clutch on the ac pump not retracting from the pully enough so just knocking against it slightly as I found if you put ac on the noise stops then starts again when you turn it off again so when the ac is on the clutch engages with the pully to drive the pump and therefore doesn't knock against it. Hope this helps people. Ford's internal dealer message does state that it won't cause any effect to reliability or the general running of the car so no panic but THERE IS A FIX NOW!

Mosta

Hi Everyone I'm from Thailand

I have same knocking noise on idle. But on 2011 Fiesta 1.4 AT.
I hear knocking noise at 15,000 Km and rebuild my engine at 46,000 Km and the noise gone.
A little knocking noise come back at 52,000 Km and i leave it like that.
Now 64,000 Km the knocking noise sound like before engine rebuild and i'm so tired about it.
Any update about issue?
Change AC Pump(AC compressor) can fix this?

(I lose the car warranty (at 14,000 Km.) because i switch from gasoline to LPG.)
Thank for advice

Hi I'm the UK as well and I've just brought a Fiesta ST3 I've noticed as well a tapping noise only on idle.
Can someone please help?
Thanks Matthew.
P.S. What Ford Dealers in the UK knows about this issue?

delfi87

You can find information about Engine Noise like Valve knock, Knocking pistons and other

After warming up (about 20 minutes driving with 100 km/h = 60 miles/h) my new 2014 Fiesta ST has a tapping/knocking noise coming from the engine. Once you rev the engine just a little bit the noise is gone but returns in a second.
I found several cars in the www with the same problem. All cars are still running good but nobody knows where the noise is coming from. The cars are all over the world. I live in Germany. I found some people in Switzerland, Austria, Australia and USA with the same problem. Here is the video of my car:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiJt26k5E_w&feature=youtu.be

here another one I found on the www:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9JnVNfo_09g

I can upload more if you want....the knocking sound is always the same. Any ideas ???

You can find information about Engine Noise like Valve knock, Knocking pistons and other
I have a 2018 FiST with the same knocking at idle when hot. Just to be clear I am not referring to the normal ticking of the DI system. I am referring to the inconsistent knock......knock...knock.................knock at idle when the engine is hot. This is NOT a bi product of the direct injection system it is coming from inside the motor. A simple test proves this: drained out 5w-20 oil and replaced with 0w-40 went for a 15 minute test drive to heat things up. Returned and let car idle for 5 minutes and the noise is gone. Drained 0w-40 and changed filter installed 5w-20 and test drive for for 15 minutes to heat things up again. Returned and let car idle for 5 minutes. The noise is back. What ever this is it is internal to the engine.