Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus RS Now Confirmed for America

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
RS is coming.jpg

"...The holidays have come early, folks, as Ford has finally confirmed what we've been waiting years to hear: The ultra-high-performance Focus RS is coming to the U.S.! The news was dropped by none other than Ford CEO Mark Fields at a local press event here in Detroit, where he described the Focus RS as a "global" product.

Of course, we ran his statement by a source within Ford who confirmed that "global" in this case includes the U.S. of A. Whew! The RS is a range-topping performance model for the Focus line, one that has been sold overseas but never on our soil. The new RS will sit above the 252-hp Focus ST, and it could even come with all-wheel drive and nearly 300 horsepower. Think of it as an American Volkswagen Golf R with a more rip-snortin' personality, and you're on the money..."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mega-hot-ford-focus-rs-hatchback-confirmed-for-america/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/12/ford-focus-rs-officially-confirmed-for-us.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/11/ford-focus-rs-global/?

http://jalopnik.com/its-happening-ford-ceo-confirms-the-focus-rs-is-coming-1669794697

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/new-ford-focus-rs-confirmed-2014-12-11

focus-rs.jpg

Focus RS rear.jpg

[HR][/HR]
"...And it's official, a new halo brand has been created at Ford, and it's called Ford Performance. Think of it as Dearborn's own version of M or AMG.

The new division will be led by chief Mustang engineer Dave Pericak, and it will unify SVT, Team RS, and Ford Racing as a single, cohesive global brand... "

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...division-is-called-ford-performance-division/

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
There's going to be a lot of used Focus ST and Fiesta ST soon. Now if only Ford can give us a Fiesta RS too.

I'm happy to see the news, doubt i'd get rid of the FiST though. Even with the added HP and possible AWD, it doesn't change my dislike of the size of the Focus these days.

Never getting rid of Fiesta but pretty sure I will purchase one of these when I'm done paying for my Fiesta!!!

I'm happy to see the news, doubt i'd get rid of the FiST though. Even with the added HP and possible AWD, it doesn't change my dislike of the size of the Focus these days.
^^This ^^

The fiesta ST is a precision driving instrument. It is quick enough to pass anyone, agile enough to get you out of sticky situations, and small enough to hit just about any gap in traffic. Not to mention quiet enough from the outside to fly under the radar as a sleeper (unless you have the Molten Orange of course).

A Focus RS intrigues me, but I doubt it will win my heart like the FiST did the very first time I felt that tiny turbo launch me into bliss.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I can't imagine how heavy it would be if it was AWD, it's already at AWD weight and it's only FWD.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I can't imagine how heavy it would be if it was AWD, it's already at AWD weight and it's only FWD.
Agreed. Like I tell my focus friends... "I can make an extra 50whp, you can't lose 450-500lbs".

Best case EVER, the focus RS will only gain 200lbs. Problem with that is... That will make it ecoboost mustang weight, lol.

Its price vs the golf R is going to be critical for sales. I'm not sure which I'd buy... But the ford better bring it, because that golf R has a DSG.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
So it comes with a lot of possible 3's and 5's .. as in 3500 lb weight 350 hp and OVER 35K price tag.. as a side note the euro spec new Golf-R with tune alone is hitting 380hp/380tq ish. and it weighs according to vw specs 3300 lbs .. Should be fun to see what the tuners can wring out of this motor to help equalize the weight penalty.. Now if they make one in purple .... nawww

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Agreed. Like I tell my focus friends... "I can make an extra 50whp, you can't lose 450-500lbs".

Best case EVER, the focus RS will only gain 200lbs. Problem with that is... That will make it ecoboost mustang weight, lol.

Its price vs the golf R is going to be critical for sales. I'm not sure which I'd buy... But the ford better bring it, because that golf R has a DSG.
Well, it would be close to Evo 10 weight. (35XXlbs) The Golf R/S3 is like Evo 8/9 weight. (32XX-33XX) Pretty light for an AWD 4door hatch.

The AWD system will most likely be VERY close to the Golf R/S3 since Ford uses Haldex as well for their AWD systems.

I loved my MK6 Golf R. I would buy that over a Focus RS for sure.

That said, I will be surprised if the Focus RS is AWD. I bet it will stay FWD as it has in the past.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #14
So it comes with a lot of possible 3's and 5's .. as in 3500 lb weight 350 hp and OVER 35K price tag.. as a side note the euro spec new Golf-R with tune alone is hitting 380hp/380tq ish. and it weighs according to vw specs 3300 lbs .. Should be fun to see what the tuners can wring out of this motor to help equalize the weight penalty.. Now if they make one in purple .... nawww

Indeed...Will be interesting to see after a few good tuners get a hold of this...

CanadianST

It's something i'm interested in but the extra weight will more than likely kill it for me. But you never know I've done crazier things, maybe I'll buy one so the FiST can have another Ford buddy in the garage lol

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My twin turbo stealth R/T was "too heavy" at 3600lbs. Iron block v6, twin turbo chargers, twin intercoolers, rear wheel steering, active exhaust, active aero dynamics.

But a 3500lbs. Hatchback with an alum block/ heads I-4 and one turbo, one intercooler and single exhaust is..... AWESOME !!!? Lol.

Where did we lose our way?... "Modern cars".... So freaking heavy. I thought the idea was to make things stronger and lighter as we went. Don't get me wrong, I love the engines, but damn.... A 3500# hatchback is the peak of the performance curve? Lol.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Ford said they plan to release more details about the RS in the next few weeks.

CanadianST

My twin turbo stealth R/T was "too heavy" at 3600lbs. Iron block v6, twin turbo chargers, twin intercoolers, rear wheel steering, active exhaust, active aero dynamics.

But a 3500lbs. Hatchback with an alum block/ heads I-4 and one turbo, one intercooler and single exhaust is..... AWESOME !!!? Lol.

Where did we lose our way?... "Modern cars".... So freaking heavy. I thought the idea was to make things stronger and lighter as we went. Don't get me wrong, I love the engines, but damn.... A 3500# hatchback is the peak of the performance curve? Lol.
I feel we're running into that problem now because everyone expects all the luxury features with their cars these days. Those power/heated/ac/give me a massage while i drive seats are heavy and when you add all the other non essential things together you get a 3500lb hatchback. I wish someone would make a car like the RS but strip all the fluff from it, crank windows, manual seats/mirrors, no AC, things like that. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but maybe it's just me lol.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The MK7 Golf R is right around or under 3300lbs, so about what the Evo 8/9 was and obviously has better safety and interior.

My 2005 Evo 8 MR was 3286lbs bone stock and with the normal upgrades like exhaust, coilovers, wheels, and just taking out the spare and tools for weight shedding it was just under 3200lbs, with a full roll bar.

I still honestly have no idea why the FWD Focus ST is 32XXlbs.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
They built an old Evo "RS". I was in love with it. $27k, no radio, no AC, one windshield wiper, 5-speed instead of the 6-speed. I've never seen one.
IMO the focus RS should be like that... Make a fat hog and call it the "GT- grand tourer" and build an "RS- I'm stripped and Stupid Ridiculously fast".

Even Porsche knows what RS means... Gutted and more expensive.