Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wavetrac LSD in development for the Fiesta ST

I shot the guys at Wavetrac an e-mail recently, and the following is the response I received. I prefer the design of the Wavetrac unit to the Quaife, so I see this as positive news!

RKTFiST,
Yes we have just started designing the Fiesta ST unit,
We should be releasing the unit around May 2015.
Thanks for your inquiry,
Nathan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:29 AM
To: wavetrac@wavetrac.net
Subject: wavetrac.net contactform submitted on 21.12.2014 at 12:28:39

First Name: RKTFiST
Last Name:
Your company name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State / Province:
Post Code::
Telephone No::
Email:
How can we help you?: Are there any plans to develop an application for the
Ford Fiesta ST (2014+) using the B6 manual transaxle? If not, what would be
required to have a unit developed?
Thank you.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I shot the guys at Wavetrac an e-mail recently, and the following is the response I received. I prefer the design of the Wavetrac unit to the Quaife, so I see this as positive news!
Could you explain further why you prefer the design of the Wavetrac to that of the Quaife? I'm interested to hear the differences...thanks!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is a nice bonus and one that made me hold off on the Quaife but not as critical as it may seem as the TVC keeps the Quaife working incredibly well as I have found on the track and I jump the curbs a lot so get plenty of air time. I never felt the unit disengage.

That is one of the few LSD units I have never used, I will check it out more, been a few years since I looked into them.

Great post, more options, might even be better for those needing an LSD:)

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
THIS IS GREAT NEWS
I used a Wavetrac in my k24 swapped RSX and loved it very well built and a very good price and the install will be as easy as any other LSD ... Looking forward to more news on this .. Glad they Jumped in ..

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Hey thanks for the clarification of the differences guys!

I would really like to have an LSD installed before installing the turbo upgrade kit I have planned....And a mid year availability isn't too far off plan so this seems worth waiting for...

Subscribed and thanks again OP for posting!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
One thing I have found to be true the vast majority of the time, release dates are seldom met, often a great deal later and sometimes never happens so keep that in mind when waiting for such a part;)

Of course it is great when good parts come out right away, we can always hope for that:)

Rick

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I just found a recent review on the Focus ST forum comparing the Wavetrac LSD to Quaife...interesting read....

"For the past few months I've had the pleasure of working with Wavetrac to develop an LSD for our platform. The last couple of weeks I've been busy pulling the transmission again so that I may test their new LSD. I said "pulling the transmission again" because I already had the Quaife installed last year some time, so I'm a good candidate to give my thoughts on the comparison of the two".

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...eview-wavetrac-limited-slip-differential.html

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yes that guy was one of the reasons I had no fear of doing a Quaife LSD install (only option at the time) he was my inspiration to face this DIY and followed him and bluebelle on the forums as they did there installs .. Thanks for the link great read..

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Pretty cool. I wonder if one chuck is a good bit heavier vs the other. The wave looks heavier, but that doesn't mean it is.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Not that it matters but for Future ref the Quaife unit that fits in our cars or at least mine weighed 11 lbs bare no breaings or ring gear on my hitech bathroom scale and the factory unit with bearings only (no ring gear either) still mounted weighed 8.5 lbs so a few lbs isn't a big deal for the payback you get wih this mod...

OP
R
Thread Starter #12
Due to the additional friction surfaces in the Wavetrac and how they will lock even when there is no load on one wheel, I would greatly prefer to have one over a Quaife. I've had previous experiences with Quaife/helical limited slip diffs in front wheel drive cars before, and an icy surface with no traction is the same to the helical as having a wheel in the air, which is not a situation I ever wish to be in. Any mod that improves traction for the drive wheels is worth it, and in a front wheel drive application, you want it to be somewhat progressive to avoid making torque steer more prevalent.

I posted this before I went on vacation, and I am glad others are interested in this, too. If I could put down a deposit to be one of the first to get one, it would be done in a heartbeat.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The TVC either completely negates or so much so it does not matter the unlocking situation of the Quaife and is very smooth in doing so. It is less of an issue than it may seem and I have been on ice, a bit, and on a race track going all out lap after lap, around 200 minutes total time, wheels in the air on several corners each lap as I love jumping the curbs, not once did I feel it unlock, or lock.

If both were out when I did this I might of picked the WT but the Quaife was it and I am quite happy so far.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Wondering if there's any recent news or progress / updates to share here? (I did read in OP that Wavetrac's LSD planned released isn't until May)

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Wondering if there's any recent news or progress / updates to share here? (I did read in OP that Wavetrac's LSD planned released isn't until May)
Interested too as how this is progressing. It may be on my future list especially when I upgrade the clutch. Definitely would rather do both at the same time. [MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] are you still planning on waiting to after the LSD to move forward on a turbo upgrade? Probably a good idea as with the E30, in my case...torque steer and loss of grip are much more prevalent.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Interested too as how this is progressing. It may be on my future list especially when I upgrade the clutch. Definitely would rather do both at the same time. [MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION] are you still planning on waiting to after the LSD to move forward on a turbo upgrade? Probably a good idea as with the E30, in my case...torque steer and loss of grip are much more prevalent.
Yes...And that's exactly the reason why...

I try to be fairly methodical in the way in which I approach and stage out all my mods...So I'd like to have the LSD done before upgrading the turbo and as such want to wait and see what Wavetrac finally offers before deciding which LSD to install...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Yes...And that's exactly the reason why...

I try to be fairly methodical in the way in which I approach and stage out all my mods...So I'd like to have the LSD done before upgrading the turbo and as such want to wait and see what Wavetrac finally offers before deciding which LSD to install...
I'm the same way with more expensive mods. On the less expensive stuff, I tend to buy parts to have something to do on the car, lol. I still get exited when the UPS/ USPS/ FedEx truck pulls up, lol. This is definitely a mod to research first due to the price and install.

OP
R
Thread Starter #18
One thing I have found to be true the vast majority of the time, release dates are seldom met, often a great deal later and sometimes never happens so keep that in mind when waiting for such a part;)

Of course it is great when good parts come out right away, we can always hope for that:)

Rick
Well, I have some good news!

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:27 PM
To: Nathan-Wavetrac
Subject: Re: wavetrac.net contactform submitted on 21.12.2014 at 12:28:39

Hello Nathan,
I am following up on the status of the Wavetrac 2014+ Fiesta ST application; is it still slated for release this May in the United States? The Wavetrac facebook page lists the following information:
56.309.145WK FORD FIESTA ST180 (IB6)
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
RKTFiST

RKTFiST,
Yes they are ready!
Here is a link to order (we are still adding info to Wavetrac.net as we speak):
http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchan...de=56-309-145WK&Store_Code=stock&search=145WK
please cut and paste the link if it doesn?t work.
Thanks,
Nathan

I'm ordering mine pretty soon and will likely have the install done at CPE.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Well, I have some good news!

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 4:27 PM
To: Nathan-Wavetrac
Subject: Re: wavetrac.net contactform submitted on 21.12.2014 at 12:28:39

Hello Nathan,
I am following up on the status of the Wavetrac 2014+ Fiesta ST application; is it still slated for release this May in the United States? The Wavetrac facebook page lists the following information:
56.309.145WK FORD FIESTA ST180 (IB6)
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
RKTFiST

RKTFiST,
Yes they are ready!
Here is a link to order (we are still adding info to Wavetrac.net as we speak):
http://www.autotech.com/mm5/merchan...de=56-309-145WK&Store_Code=stock&search=145WK
please cut and paste the link if it doesn?t work.
Thanks,
Nathan

I'm ordering mine pretty soon and will likely have the install done at CPE.
thanks for posting this! And let us know how it goes with install at CP-E....

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very cool, glad it did not take that long to become available.

I would love the chance to try it against the Quaiffe, or maybe now, more work if I decided I liked it better:)