Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

One man Boomba wing riser install

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm sure everyone has seen the Boomba wing riser install where the two Boomba guys install the rear wing. O.K. so what do you do if you're the only one doing the install? What do you do if you don't trust the stickers that Boomba tells you to use to close out the holes left when you remove the alignment pins? This is what I did.

1. Follow the Boomba instructions to remove the wing. I used an 8mm quick release magnetic socket, on the two center bolts, because I just knew that I'd probably drop the two 8mm hex head screws.

2. In order to get the wing centered, I aligned the two center risers straight, then sighted the hole openings in the hatch. I tightened the risers down to the wing with the hex head bolts that originally attached the wing to the rear hatch.

3. When I did my trial fit, I noticed that the center riser threads were not completely tapped. I got a M6 x 1 tap and tapped the two center risers, and re-installed them on the wing. I only tightened the four side risers hand tight. I installed the two supplied allen head M6 fasteners through the hatch and into the center risers. Then I adjusted the side risers, and used paper tape to make sure the alignment stayed correct. I placed a line of tape on the riser, up to the wing.

4. To do all of this adjusting, while keeping the wing from tipping over, I tied a rope to the rear washer blade, and then the other end on the door striker. This allowed me to balance the wing on the hatch.

5. After making sure my 4 side riser screws were tight on the wing, and my alignment was good, I got my box of grommets and blank plugs. I used one 3/8 plug for the small hole on the hatch and 1/2 plugs for the remainder of the holes. These blank plugs make a good seal which will keep water out of the hatch. I really didn't trust the stickers, especially in the So Cal heat.

6. I installed the outermost side riser bolts then the center riser bolts. Then the innermost side riser bolts last. I tightened everything down.

7. I followed the rest of the instructions in the Boomba install video, and the wing looks great. I hope this mod helps keep my rear window cleaner.

Are you sure it's not 3/8" and 5/8" on those plugs? It looks like I have the same grommet set but I don't have those sizes.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Are you sure it's not 3/8" and 5/8" on those plugs? It looks like I have the same grommet set but I don't have those sizes.
You are right. It's 3/8" and 1/2" :D corrected my OP.

Any reason you preferred to use the hex head screws on the outside instead of the allen screws? Probably why you had issues threading it in. Allen heads go outside so they don't stick out. Top right per boomba's pic.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Any reason you preferred to use the hex head screws on the outside instead of the allen screws? Probably why you had issues threading it in. Allen heads go outside so they don't stick out. Top right per boomba's pic.

The reason was due to the fact that the riser was not threaded completely through on the side that attaches to the hatch, as I stated in my how-to. I noticed this when I installed the center risers according to the Boomba instructions, and I could not tighten them down. Then I ran a tap through to clean up and extend the thread through, but I didn't have a bottoming tap, so the OEM screws still would not tighten, due to their length. That is when I decided to swap the screws and use the shorter, Boomba allen head screws, and then, everything worked well. Adversity is the mother of invention.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Great, no problems. I pressure wash the car, whenever it is needed, and have had no leaking or water buildup or missing grommets. I plan on pulling the wing off someday and putting some after market bolts where the hex head ones are now. Thats low on my list after I replace my DP, FMIC, crash bar, intake and sound deadening projects.

HaveBlue83

I actually used white electrical tape for mine. Nice and stealthy. I know that stuff holds up for years on the outside of a car.

The rope trick is GREAT. super easy using that method.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Curious about the hole openings on the wing. Can a rubber grommet be used on that and Slicing an x in the middle for the brake light wires to go through?
I have a set of risers but havnt gotten around to installing yet. I wanna have all the grommets ready for when I do.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
There is a slot on the back end of the wing, which would not lend itself to be plugged as it is a big oval hole. The plugs are for the body

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
There is a slot on the back end of the wing, which would not lend itself to be plugged as it is a big oval hole. The plugs are for the body

Ok thanks. So you kept those holes on the wing open? Im afraid of dirt and all kinds of debris getting in there.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
That's the way all the OEM wings are. I went with an aftermarket wing that does not have that problem.