Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Turbo Upgrade - GT2554R or GT2560R? Expectations?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I've been seriously considering upgrading the FiST's stock turbo for some time now with either a GT2554R or GT2560R and would like to know what are some of the specific differences one should expect between these two turbo upgrades...

I would prefer to have a fairly quick spooling daily driver with some spirited track days thrown into the mix for fun...My goal would be to efficiently achieve ~260whp / ~275wtq without compromising too much on quick spooling ...I mention "efficiency" because I want to assure good long term reliability by not pushing the turbo to its absolute limits...btw..I also intend on installing an LSD...

So which turbo upgrade path would best suit my needs? GT2554R or GT2560R? And what turbine housing A/R size to select? 0.64 A/R or 0.86 A/R?

GT2554R:

http://www.edgeautosport.com/manufa...t2554r-bolt-on-turbo-kit-ford-fiesta-st-2014/

GT2560R:

http://www.edgeautosport.com/manufa...t2560r-bolt-on-turbo-kit-ford-fiesta-st-2014/

Installation Instructions:

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/help/pdf/install/Fiesta_ST_Turbo_Install.pdf

[HR][/HR]
Also I'm not sure which turbo this chart represents below...A GT2554R or GT2560R with which turbine A/R size (0.64 A/R or 0.86 A/R)?

DHM1

1000 Post Club
GT2554 with a .86ar would be awesome for your goals. I think you would be very happy with that.

That dyno is for the 2554.

I will be buying the GT2560R this month so hopefully I can show some results on it soon, i can not find any info on anybody running that turbo on a fiesta right now.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
wspec beat me to it, I was digging up more info for my post, looking at their and my plots.

-------------

It should of been the GT2554R, I think with the .64 housing, the GT2560R was not available for some time yet. I was hoping to see them come out with a little bigger unit and they did with the 60R later on.

I do not recall what fuel was used to tune the GT2554R so it might be wise to look into that.

I recommend calling Braden at Cobb and see what he has to say;)

----------

We are just starting the E30 tune, working around the snow days and making just about the same torque as they show but spooling sooner and holding it as long, I am at 5200 ft, 231WHP for now, all VD data, the car is starting to really get fun. 250WHP up here with a bit more torque would make for a very quick car on a road course so I would be looking carefully at not going to big and giving up to much bottom end for street use.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
GT2554 with a .86ar would be awesome for your goals. I think you would be very happy with that.
thanks Russ!

That dyno is for the 2554.

I will be buying the GT2560R this month so hopefully I can show some results on it soon, i can not find any info on anybody running that turbo on a fiesta right now.
Thanks for clarifying that!

And that's great to hear and really looking forward to seeing this soon!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Russ,
Much appreciated as I have been also exploring different turbo options but could not find a map on the .86 A/R

According to their site general info it would spool later so it seems to be less street friendly but the dyno run plot shown on the one they used was not finely tuned so perhaps more bottom end is available.

Please elaborate for us, we need all the qualified help we can get here:)

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Russ,
Much appreciated as I have been also exploring different turbo options but could not find a map on the .86 A/R

According to their site general info it would spool later so it seems to be less street friendly but the dyno run plot shown on the one they used was not finely tuned so perhaps more bottom end is available.

Please elaborate for us, we need all the qualified help we can get here:)
When it comes to that turbo and the difference between those two housings I have found that most engine respond to the extra exhaust flow in a positive manor allowing for more power to be made allowing it to spool the same. I have not seen any loss in spool even in slightly bigger turbo applications. Its not until larger mid frame turbos on small displacement engine I see a difference. Also the extra HP in the upper rpm is a very nice increase as well when you go to the .86 over the .64

Russ

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very much appreciate your input on all this:)

Looks like a good way to go, GT2554R, .86 A/R

Do you think the bottom end can be brought up, spool faster, than ATP achieved with some tuning?

--------------

BW EFR6258, I almost bought one months ago but wanted to try the Cyborg, which is making close to the power I need but still that is such a great turbo I keep looking at it as an option.

Is it a bit to big for our 1.6, street and track, decent bottom end power?

It seems it might be, they list a smaller one but I do not think they sell it.

Thanks again:):)

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
As you know I have been looking at all the options and this one from you as well, I did not know you have one now, hmmmmmmmm, tempting!!!!!!

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #11
When it comes to that turbo and the difference between those two housings I have found that most engine respond to the extra exhaust flow in a positive manor allowing for more power to be made allowing it to spool the same. I have not seen any loss in spool even in slightly bigger turbo applications. Its not until larger mid frame turbos on small displacement engine I see a difference. Also the extra HP in the upper rpm is a very nice increase as well when you go to the .86 over the .64

Russ
Hey Russ...curious as to what turbo your considering? I know you have much greater plans FiST than I do!

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Hey Russ...curious as to what turbo your considering? I know you have much greater plans FiST than I do!
Garrett, Billet wheel, and bigger than what people offer. My end game is a line of high HP race parts for the ST community some more testing and R&D to finish up over the next couple months but when i do start releasing that kinda stuff i hope you guys like it. who can live with only 300hp?

Russ

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #13
Garrett, Billet wheel, and bigger than what people offer. My end game is a line of high HP race parts for the ST community some more testing and R&D to finish up over the next couple months but when i do start releasing that kinda stuff i hope you guys like it. who can live with only 300hp?

Russ
Love it!

btw...that should be your tag line for FiST performance parts!

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Love it!

btw...that should be your tag line for FiST performance parts!
Back in early college days a long time ago lol i had a SOHC non Vtec honda that made 395whp and 334ftlbs. I want more than that with the FiST.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Back in early college days a long time ago lol i had a SOHC non Vtec honda that made 395whp and 334ftlbs. I want more than that with the FiST.
Can you do my cylinder head while your doing yours !!? Lol. Wait till you see it, lol. Maybe its just been a long time since I saw my D16Z6 block with the D15A2 head and the ports are not as bad, but it looked like a 1987 honda head, lol.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Can you do my cylinder head while your doing yours !!? Lol. Wait till you see it, lol. Maybe its just been a long time since I saw my D16Z6 block with the D15A2 head and the ports are not as bad, but it looked like a 1987 honda head, lol.
My honda had stock ports ;) its was a full D16a6

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Just do not forget us mere mortals what want a bit less power for our steet/road race tracked cars, please:)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My honda ports were stock too. I only used the vtec block with the non-vtec head to drop my compression ratio for the td04L-13t that was on it.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
My honda ports were stock too. I only used the vtec block with the non-vtec head to drop my compression ratio for the td04L-13t that was on it.
Nice! my compression was way to low only 9.5:1 Most of the engines i do now are all 10:1 - 13:1 for the turbo cars lol Got to spool those big turbos.

Russ

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My combo was supposed to be 8.8/1. But who knows... Wrx turbo, conquest intercooler, dsm injectors, volvo bov, 94' block, 89 head, 98 intake manifold, hf exhaust manifold, lol. The car was a total bastard it was awesome.