Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to reduce swirl marks

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
It takes me 10-15 minutes to get out my master blaster out to dry my car verses several hours to remove swirls. I have my extension cord plugged in all the time, so I save on swirl eradication time. I only polish/mondo detail 1 time a year. My car sits in a garage or at work under a car cover. I use a California duster to pick up the little dust that gathers while I'm on the road. I'd rather spend time adding mods to my car.

rexdriver85

I've adapted the Garry Dean Wash Method.

https://youtu.be/ws59CEYUpC0 - This is his most latest revision, but I've been doing it for a few years now. I also use his Infinite Use Detail Juice, it really is some amazing stuff. There are many other products available for this type of wash, I just prefer Garrys Juice.

What makes this method great is you don't need a hose anymore except for wheels, but you can clean the wheels in this method as well, as long as you remove brake dust once a week before it really gets baked on. You are never introducing your wash media back into dirty water and the product is extremely slick. Realistically it's almost impossible to prevent swirls over time, but this method cuts down on them a whole heck of a lot.

It's also great in the winter, you can use warm water in the bucket. And after you get the hang of it, you can do your car in 10 to 15 minutes.

Traditional washes are also fine, and the 2 bucket method with a grit guard is absolutely the key there. I just think this method is easier, and also eco friendly, especially for some people who have water restrictions in their areas due to droughts.

Posting late, but here's my experience with swirls, especially with black.

They're inevitable. Its gunna happen. However....
You can do a lot to keep them to a minimum until your yearly detail done by a pro. Its what I do with my Mustang (black).
I drove myself to the borderline of insanity buying 50 microfibers of everything. Polishes and waxes that promised to remove swirl marks and washes that promised against causing them. Ultimately, the only way to not get them, is by not touching the paint as much as you possibly can.

So, when washing, keep doing the 2 bucket method and when washing and drying, go in straight lines back and forth (no circles, no swirls!) and keep those microfibers clean! Then, when its time head to a pro. And repeat. Way I look at it is buying washing my cars myself, I'm saving a lot of money and use that money to pay for the details. Getting close to a year with my FiST (orange) and I'm starting to see some swirls. Detail time soon.