Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to reduce swirl marks

Original J-Pat

So i took about every precaution to stop swirl marks:
1. Use two buckets one to load with soap other to get dirt off the wash mitt
2. Use Mothers Caranuba Wash and Wax soap.
3. Microfiber Wash mitt.
4. Microfiber Drying towels

Is it just bound to happen or is there something Im missing maybe quality of wash mitt or drying towels???

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
You can greatly eliminate swirls by using a master blaster to use hot air to dry your car. This prevents touching the paint with anything. I would also recommend using a sealer and wax combination. You get the hardness and long lasting protection of a sealer with the deep, rich shine of a wax. Autogeek.net has what they call the Forum Favorite kit, which sells for about $140.00. Which has the best shine (IMO) of any system.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Stop using your microfiber washmitt if it's not one like this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chenille_Microfiber_Scratch_Free_Wash_Mitt_p/mic_493.htm. If you've ever dropped your mitt throw it away or use it for something else; it's useless for your car now. Same applies your drying towels. In fact, CLEAN chamois are still better. The older the better provided it's clean.

As far as the washing goes, I don't know your process but ensure you rinse the car first, preferably low to moderate pressure. High pressure is not best for the initial rinse. Then wash from top to bottom. If you can work around the car. During the hot months it's best to work panel by panel but obviously it's time consuming as you have to dry the car and rinse the mitt after every panel. Overall, washing a car and keeping it swirl free is a labor of love. I think it's actually more difficult than wash/clay/wax/polish.

OP
Original J-Pat

Original J-Pat

Thread Starter #4
[MENTION=411]westcoaST[/MENTION] Probably will invest in master blaster or something like that [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION] My washing mitt looks similar but definitely isnt chemical guys one and i have dropped my drying towels numerous times i think it might be cuz of that

OP
Original J-Pat

Original J-Pat

Thread Starter #5
[MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION] how i was my car is almost exactly like how u said it too btw

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I use the ''absorber'' to dry my car and ive never had a swirl mark issue.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I use a flex pen light to check my paint for swirls. Everyone gets them, no matter how careful you are. Some swirls found on some cars are smaller or larger than those found on other cars. I do a complete detail once a year, it's based on the method taught by Mike Philips of aitogeek.net.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
I use a flex pen light to check my paint for swirls. Everyone gets them, no matter how careful you are. Some swirls found on some cars are smaller or larger than those found on other cars. I do a complete detail once a year, it's based on the method taught by Mike Philips of autogeek.net.
Did you buy his DVD and use the same products?

I told my dealer not to clean my car at delivery. Took it home and used the 2 bucket with strainer rule. Also had 20+ new microfiber cloths waiting. Barely a swirl or line. Also used Turtle Wax Black Box Collection black wax which took me 6 hours to apply by hand on EVERY last bit of the car. Sat it in the garage for 24 hours then cleaned it and did a second coat...3.5 hours worth. Sat it in the garage again and last coat of wax I did not use Step 1 precleaner but just black wax. Another 2 hours worth of work. Buffed to the max and left to cure for 24 hours. Washed once again by hand and buffed once more by hand.

Took it through crap car washes 2 times since then (don't care about how dirty it gets in fall and winter) and have little scratches all in my wax but not in paint. Will reclean, reprime and rewaxing in spring. Of course my drivers side door handle got all the paint ripped off at Kroger the day after Christmas by some douche so now I need a new handle or pay my deductible to the insurance company. Apparently the camera was fogged up so they couldn't see who hit me or their license plate. Go figure.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I just run over the little buggers.

Dave

Best way to avoid or minimise swirls or scratches while cleaning your car is to use multiple steps, this is what I do...

1) Jet wash the car down - removes loose dirt
2) Cover the car in snow foam and allow to sit for 10 mins - snow foam will remove smaller pieces of dirt, getting rid of (hopefully) everything that could potentially scratch it
3) Jet wash off the snow foam
4) Using a noodle mitt, wash your car by hand using the two bucket method (preferably a wax shampoo) - this will remove any dirt that is left and hopefully not cause swirls as per previous steps
5) Rinse, not jet wash, the car down
6) Leave to dry. Using anything to wipe it down is just more risk to swirls - you will get water marks but don't worry (another effective way to quickly remove water from a car without touching it is to use a leaf blower)
7) Clay bar the car - remove all the tiny, microscopic pieces of dirt and also the water marks
8) Wax/seal the paint work
9) Polish windows
10) Sit back and admire how god damn good your car looks!

This 10 step method has led to absolutely flawless paintwork (for me anyway) since i've owned the car. Yes you will ge the odd mark/scratch but waxing the car will hide these. If you do get big swirls, scratches, tar spots, get your car machine polished - or do it yourself (ONLY if you are confident and have experience. Unexperienced machine polishing will ruin your cars paintwork in a matter of seconds!)

I use Juicy Details (UK based) for all my shampoos, waxes, snow foam and even cloths and applicants. There are so many too choose from out there though.

This is a very time consuming process but for someone like myself, I love doing it. I would never let anyone else clean my car, trained or not. Detailing is a passion!!

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Here is the end all for car cleaning, YouTube channel "/Drive Clean" tons of info on car detailing, rock chip removal and other great info. i implore you to check it out.

search junkman on youtube. anything to do with exterior detailing, he'll have up there. this includes washing, lsp, corrections, wheel/tire care, etc. the videos are a little long but thorough.

avoid using cheap bulk microfiber from costco, home depot, etc.

also grit guards in your buckets will help as well.

avoid using cheap bulk microfiber from costco, home depot, etc.
This I disagree with. Though I know this thread is about swirl prevention, those cheap microfibres still have their place and I use them most often. I use them for door jambs, cleaning out those water chanels when you open the hatch, interior work like leather conditioning, dashboards, etc. I'd buy a bulk of that cheap stuff and buy a few good ones for drying since you're probably gonna wash the drying microfiber anyway with each use.

OP was talking about swirls on paint specifically so was addressing only that.

if the discussion is about general detailing, i'd have mentioned the same as you. great for interior work so cheap mf has their uses, just shouldn't touch paint or anywhere you care about the finish.

I use a grit guard in the rinse bucket.
also, instead of a mitt, I use a grout sponge. you can get them at lowes o home depot

Of course the best way of avoiding swirl marks is to not touch it at all when drying. I use a modified leaf blower (modified the long tube so it's shorter and better for maneuvering around cars) if it's a paying detail job. But it's such a big hassle to get the extension out and plugging it in so I just use a waffle weave cloth for my own car. Half the fun is getting those swirl marks out and actually using my polish pads.