Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

shouldbeasy's 'not a build' build.

Based

Holy fucking shit that is so beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #123
Holy fucking shit that is so beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I find myself having to take a step back to appreciate the scenery around me more often these days - sure is beautiful. I think I'll be heading back out when the leaves start to turn colour - should make for some good photos / videos.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #125
So, I was kinda sick of my Ford MyTouch and the slow response time after I saw a friend's 2016 FiST with the Sync 3 system. The thought occurred to me that I should try to swap the head units and see what happens - low and behold, it's a pretty easy swap. First off, if you want a Nav system you'll need a GPS antenna with a blue Fakra - otherwise it's just the screen and an appropriate USB hub. To get Apple CarPlay I had to purchase the latest and greatest USB hub - I'll run through the part numbers below.

First off, the results!
Starting it for the first time

Success!

So, I ended up buying a head unit from a wrecker off of www.car-part.com and thought I was getting a Navigation unit but it turns out, nope, no stock nav for this guy. Oh well, I have my phone anyways.

Here is the back of the unit I received - the part number that is on the heat sink is G1BT-14G370-BM
A friend's FiST WITH Navigation has the head unit part number G1BT-14G370-CL and I believe that is the correct part number for a Sync3 head unit with Nav. Sometimes the screen is separated from the heat sink (which I found out when trying to order them on ebay) and so I'll try to confirm the individual part numbers as well.

Plugged in

USB Hub supplied from the wreckers
I also received the USB plug part number G3CT-14F014-BB. THIS IS NOT THE APPLE CAR PLAY HUB.

When doing the wiring connectors I found it easiest to just remove the center console entirely - if you're doing butt connectors you may get away with just playing in the center console cubby hole. It was too small for me to work my soldering iron in though so out it came.
Remove these screws after popping off the shifter trim and the climate control trim - definitely recommend using a plastic pry tool made for car panels as it makes the job so much easier.

Next is the small plastic pop pins at the front

I forgot to take pictures of them but there are two screws at the back of the console on the sides too - just slide the seats forward and they're easily accessed.

After the fasteners are removed, disconnect the wiring connecting the console the car. You'll see that the colour changes on the wires for the grey plug - thankfully the wiring on the car is the same colouring as the wiring on the new USB hub so finding out which was which was easy!

Ford MyTouch USB/SD card hub and connector

New USB Hub and wiring

Wiring transcribed from one connector to the other

Soldering them up!

New USB Hub - as I wanted the Apple CarPlay functionality for this upgrade I had to go and buy the latest and greatest USB hub which was plug and play once the wiring was sorted. The part number for the Apple CarPlay USB is HC3Z-19A387-B - there are a couple options as I think there is a Lincoln specific hub which as white lights... this one is blue and as my car is blue, I was happy with it.

So, grab the update file for the head unit from the RS Forum where it has Navigation and Non-Navigation specific files for the upgrade. I grabbed the Non-Navigation files and tossed them on a black USB. Afterwards, plug the USB into the car and then drive the car for a while as the update loads. Don't be surprised if the USB doesn't read right away on the screen - it's working in the background to get it's head straight. Took mine about 30 seconds or more to recognize the USB was plugged in.

After the upgraded USB hub and loading the new Sync3 V2.2 files I have Apple CarPlay which is quite convenient! I would consider this upgrade quite easy as you don't have to solder the wiring and removing the dash trim pieces is also quite easy. Worth while upgrade for 2014-15 users for sure!!!

As I thought I was getting a navigation head unit, I went and purchased the Blue Fakra GPS connector. Fortunately they're only like $10 and so it's not a lot out of pocket that I wasted. In any case, here are some pictures of where I placed it (it's still installed...).

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #128
Nice job on the Sync3. If you're willing to share, what did you end up paying for the used unit and required parts?
Oh for sure - it was $125+$35 USD shipping and then $90CAD for the USB hub. I think that you can do it for $200 or so USD.

Edit - also that gps antenna $10 on eBay

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #130
Do you need the updated hub for Android auto? Not an apple device in the house.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yep - sorry, I need to specify that Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are both included with the new USB hub. You HAVE to have the new hub though - no way around it.

Seriously thanks for posting this. I didn't think this was so easy. Already hunting for a display and hub. It wasn't just the ST that's had the option of sync 3 right.

I was about to ask the same, would the sync 3 be available in other model cars or finding one from a fist is the best option?

Here is the back of the unit I received - the part number that is on the heat sink is G1BT-14G370-BM
A friend's FiST WITH Navigation has the head unit part number G1BT-14G370-CL and I believe that is the correct part number for a Sync3 head unit with Nav. Sometimes the screen is separated from the heat sink (which I found out when trying to order them on ebay) and so I'll try to confirm the individual part numbers as well.
Part numbers for the subcomponents are G1BT-18B955-T* (screen for either module), GB5T-14G371-BF* (heat sink for non-nav) and GBB5T-14G371-CF* (heat sink for nav). I put the asterisks at the end because the final character in the suffix is the rev level of the part, and there's no real way to know what rev it's on without being able to actually go into Ford's system.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #134
Part numbers for the subcomponents are G1BT-18B955-T* (screen for either module), GB5T-14G371-BF* (heat sink for non-nav) and GBB5T-14G371-CF* (heat sink for nav). I put the asterisks at the end because the final character in the suffix is the rev level of the part, and there's no real way to know what rev it's on without being able to actually go into Ford's system.
Beauty! Thanks for the clarification! Perhaps I'll go hunting for a nav unit...

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #135
Seriously thanks for posting this. I didn't think this was so easy. Already hunting for a display and hub. It wasn't just the ST that's had the option of sync 3 right.

I believe the Escape used the same unit... Thankfully MichiganST has provided part numbers below which should be of some assistance when tracking down the right units.

I was about to ask the same, would the sync 3 be available in other model cars or finding one from a fist is the best option?
I think the Escape... I didn't have the ability to cross reference against any other vehicles so I can't say for sure.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #136

I believe the Escape used the same unit... Thankfully MichiganST has provided part numbers below which should be of some assistance when tracking down the right units.

I think the Escape... I didn't have the ability to cross reference against any other vehicles so I can't say for sure.

Wow. You guys rock.
I currently have a 2015 with NAV so I guess I wouldn't need the antenna. Looking at the car parts site no one specifically notes anything about the heat sink so I've asked about a pic of the unit to ensure it has that as well if they'd include the hub from the glove box. Crossing my fingers.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #138
Wow. You guys rock.
I currently have a 2015 with NAV so I guess I wouldn't need the antenna. Looking at the car parts site no one specifically notes anything about the heat sink so I've asked about a pic of the unit to ensure it has that as well if they'd include the hub from the glove box. Crossing my fingers.

Good luck!

So, does sync 3 not need the USB navigation then? The GPS module you bought would handle that?