Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

shouldbeasy's 'not a build' build.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #161
Well, to end my tire saga - I found a single tire in the exact tread depth I needed online so.... bought that! Way cheaper than replacing all 4 again.

Also decided that changing the struts out to coil overs will give me more adjustability for the very different roads I drive on. Nice and soft for gravel and then dial up the stiffness for the asphalt and mountain roads.

Can't wait to see how they do compared to the Koni's which I found to not control the car enough at high speed (which I kinda knew).

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #162
MeisterR Coilovers installed - I set the rear at the absolute maximum height and got it back to close to stock, for the front, the coil overs are standing taller than stock and I'll be adjusting them down.

Happy with the construction of them - I took them apart and applied anti-seize to avoid having any of the rings lock in place. Took my time and got it done while the snow flew outside - yay for heated garages!!

Pictures will follow shortly...

TDavis

1000 Post Club
What method did you go with when removing the vertical ribs that are present when you remove the lower black grill?

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #164
What method did you go with when removing the vertical ribs that are present when you remove the lower black grill?
Really sharp knife!!

You'll end up with small(ish) 'V''s left on the bottom lip but if you're keen on wrapping it they disappear.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #166
Finally a few update pictures - got my MeisterR suspension in and some Toyo R888R's (225/45R17's) mounted up on my lightweight wheels for some summer fun. I went with just the front two in order to keep the ability of the rear to slide around. I haven't driven it hard yet but it seems to hook up pretty well off the line now!

When the suspension arrived I took it all apart and added Anti-Seize to all the threads - I HATE dealing with metals which have rusted or corroded together.

With the threads covered in cop-r-kote it was easy to adjust the suspension while on the car - I played with the height settings a bit and finally settled on the settings below. Keep in mind these are measured as best I could and it seems the hub-to-fender measurements are similar side to side. The rear shocks are the only one which I don't have a picture of to show the measurement but it's 175mm from the top of the shock body to the female section of the lower shock body.

The next mod on my list is a turbo blanket - I picked up the DEI option for our wee little turbo and will be using the wrap on my catless downpipe. Hopefully keeping the heat moving out the back rather than in to the engine bay.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Love your wheels! Motegis right? I couldn’t find those for sale when I was wheel shopping.

Very nice!!!

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #168
Love your wheels! Motegis right? I couldn’t find those for sale when I was wheel shopping.

Very nice!!!
Thanks!

And yep, Motegi MR125's which are nice and light - the total wheel weight is only 40.2lbs with the 225 Toyo mounted up.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks!

And yep, Motegi MR125's which are nice and light - the total wheel weight is only 40.2lbs with the 225 Toyo mounted up.
Excellent! Out of curiosity how long have you had them and where did you find them/cost??

That was one of my choices but I gave up after not finding any. Love my Rotas though. My federals are a bit heavy (22.5 lbs) but they rock....my total weight is about 41 and it feels quite nimble, noticeable difference.

Also I didnt know that Toyo made a 225....what tire and size is that???

Edit saw the tire...what size are the motegis???

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #170
Excellent! Out of curiosity how long have you had them and where did you find them/cost??

That was one of my choices but I gave up after not finding any. Love my Rotas though. My federals are a bit heavy (22.5 lbs) but they rock....my total weight is about 41 and it feels quite nimble, noticeable difference.

Also I didnt know that Toyo made a 225....what tire and size is that???

Edit saw the tire...what size are the motegis???
The tires are R888R's - the wheels are 17" x 7.5" and I found them for around $150 a wheel if I recall correctly... I purchased them soon after purchasing the car as I was going to run two wheel set ups from the get go (one for winter with stock wheels and these were the first ones available that I liked and they turned out to be one of the lightest 17" offerings out there).

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #171
I was sick of the mess I made of the front fenders and with the USA doing retarded things with the world economy I figured I better buy the M2 Motoring Flares now before things really hit the fan.

So... That's what else I've got up my sleeve. I don't think I will spend any more on the car as it's too fun as is.

Then again, the touch screen I have isn't working so well so... fuck. Maybe I have to find another salvaged one. I don't think there is a recall out for the Fiesta APIM.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #174
Bit of an updated look - moved some lights around and put blue filters on the HID lights hooked up to my high beams:

While crawling under the car I found the passenger side axle seal is seeping and oddly enough, the clear plastic protecting the gauge cluster has cracked! Really hoping that Ford steps up on both fronts...

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #176
Thread is full of winning. You said you were stock height on the front still or still a little higher?
With the aftermarket suspension I'm not entirely sure... I just adjusted until it looked 'right' and called it good!

I think I'm slightly lower than stock in the front and a fair bit lower than stock in the back now. The large tires do make it deceptive though.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #178

Well that explains that! Shaft failure. Snapped on the compressor side, the exhaust wheel is still in place (and actually moves) with its shaft attached.

Pumaspeed assures me that they have near 1000 of the X variant turbo's (and 550+ of the X-47, X-47+ and X-47R options) and they can count they the number of outright failures on less than two hands.

So... I don't know. I really don't know why this failed. I've got 3 oil samples to test (filter, oil pan, intake tube before the engine air inlet on the block - whole intake was covered in oil) and hopefully they'll show me that the engine itself is fine. I'm optimistic.

Ford Community Posts