Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Great Quest for Headlights

TheStig

Been three months and I still haven't died, killed anyone, caused national anarchy, or caused the world to spin backward on its axis. No retro fit. Vvme hids. Spend 1500 if you want to, I'll stick with my $75. It's not that serious.
Your lights dont look bad at all, but still that pattern versus a clean HID/Projector cutoff is night and day.

TheStig

That picture does no justice to his PNP HID kit, it looks far better than the picture i posted as a comparison. That i completely understand, its merely an example of what we are discussing, and the fact that PNP kits do not have a true "cutoff" so to speak compared to a true projector HID. Another picture example.

My company is looking for a Fiesta ST to partially sponsor for a headlight build :)

Obviously there is some requirements to be met for this partial sponsorship.

Been three months and I still haven't died, killed anyone, caused national anarchy, or caused the world to spin backward on its axis. No retro fit. Vvme hids. Spend 1500 if you want to, I'll stick with my $75. It's not that serious.
I keep throwing rocks of overpasses, haven't killed anyone yet, or died, or ..... Its not that serious...

Those are pretty horrible to be honest. Lots of glare and your bulbs aren't even seated correctly so your hotspots are angled. I have drawn a line through the centre/top of your hotspot which should be the highest point of your beam pattern when using HIDs. Everything above those lines is light that is angled upwards and creates a haze of high lumen glare. Halogen reflector housings always have this leakage and that is the reason that halogen bulbs for low beams are 1500 lumens and under for the most part. You are forcing 2500+lumens which makes all of that leakage so much worse. You might think it is "ok" because nobody high beamed you but you are in fact a huge problem on the roads. I would be embarrassed driving around like that, and also scared on 2 lane roads at night where everyone in oncoming lanes has their pupils contract and might accidentally weave into your lane while temporarily blind.

Doing a retrofit isn't $1500, and I guarantee if you did one yourself you would be blown away by how much of an improvement they would be.

badcutoff.jpg

Also, there were a few HID reflector cars and those were using a completely different bulb type, and the reflectors and lenses were created specifically for the HID bulbs. They didn't just toss some rebased bulbs into an existing housing, they were engineered that way.

Here is a video of my Subaru with some slight mods to the OEM projectors to give you an idea on how your lights could/should be.

[video=youtube_share;Q7aJdFXoy8I]http://youtu.be/Q7aJdFXoy8I[/video]

Try this and see how yours fare, I will bet yours light all the way up the wall and if they even reach the far end it will just be a splotch of scattered light everywhere. Prove me wrong... get some nice photos done in a similar area.

ps; sorry to be so harsh, but consider this is me high beaming you... (and every other PNP HID user). You can be better, people!

There's some requirements you must me though though :p

You found one! I'll definitely game.
I didn't really find one yet. I dunno if you saw my post on FB or not. But I have a local person that can come, but is saving up some money first to go all out.

Only problem I have is getting cheap Fiesta ST lights.. those things are hard to find. But definitely willing to use someone's lights for a bixenon retrofit build. But again, there is some requirements to meet :p Would prefer someone local just to get a test fit going, but who knows!

There's some requirements you must me though though :p

I didn't really find one yet. I dunno if you saw my post on FB or not. But I have a local person that can come, but is saving up some money first to go all out.

Only problem I have is getting cheap Fiesta ST lights.. those things are hard to find. But definitely willing to use someone's lights for a bixenon retrofit build. But again, there is some requirements to meet :p Would prefer someone local just to get a test fit going, but who knows!
Don't see any FB post. Also maybe you should post actual details instead of just stating that there are "some requirements".

All you asked for was someone interested.

Don't see any FB post. Also maybe you should post actual details instead of just stating that there are "some requirements".

All you asked for was someone interested.
Requirements aren't gonna be made public, but if you're interested I can PM you the requirements/terms. Take into account this is a real partial sponsorship so there has to be somewhat of a return on my "investment" per se. Basically whoever the Fiesta ST that I choose is, will get a set of retrofit lights at my cost, no labor charge. I can use your lights as well if interested since my supplier is out of Fiesta lights as of a week ago.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
2.5 is adequate up to 300 or so. I will upgrade to it when I get my larger turbo.
If the first Fiesta doesn't go through, I'll be second in line, I'm sorta local but I'll be happy to make the drive down and I am on FB Captial ST. If this is Matt, what up and welcome to the board!

3NCOR

I'm completely clueless to lighting and lighting technology. All I know is prior to my ST, I drove a 2010 GT MX5 and those headlights were mind blowing how well I could see ahead and street signs would illuminate. I'm seeing that the Fiesta doesn't have that type of lighting power; I'm reading through these posts trying to get an understand of what some options are.

Chris G

Retrofit will be your best option. I'm just trying to figure out who does it and where I can get an extra set of headlights.

3NCOR

Feel like I'm settling here, but doesn't hurt to know... are there quality standard bulbs that can replace the factory bulbs that allow for just a little more brightness?

Also what does retrofit mean? [thankyou]

This is what the headlights should look like...

KKaWing

Feel like I'm settling here, but doesn't hurt to know... are there quality standard bulbs that can replace the factory bulbs that allow for just a little more brightness?

Check out the H11 to H9 conversions. 2 Tabs to cut, one plastic @ the connector and one metal @ the bulb's base. You would be going from 55w to 65w and about 1350 lumen to 2100 lumen. The fiesta's headlights have a shield for the bulb so it "should" be fine.

Edit: The bulb runs "harder" so life would be shorter...

Edit2: Not my vid. but here's a clip of what I'm talking about. You could also use hand tools as per other guides.

[video=youtube;_mrbdQmck7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrbdQmck7E[/video]

Chris G

In a nutshell, a retrofit is when you replace the halogen light setup with an HID projector setup. Much better performance and it looks a whole lot cooler too, IMO. The downside is that it's not cheap.

PGT

subscribed for any updates....stinks there's no xenon factory offering (I'd pay for the option)