Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Inexpensive Symposer Delete

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
After looking at the Boomba and Deadhook symposer delete kits, I decided to pursue another alternative. Both are very high quality kits, and I have nothing but praise for these companies and their efforts in bringing products to the Fiesta ST.

This alternative is primarily for those of us that are going to use the symposer hole in the firewall as a conduit for the Ethanol percentage gauge, or plug it up, as well as having already purchased the Mountune charge pipe upgrade. Here is my alternative. I purchased a Turbosmart 38mm BOV blanking plug (TS-0205-2017) from Amazon for $17.72. Here is what this plug looks like:

I got a hold of a Boomba Symposer delete plug so I could photograph them side by side. This is what they look like:

As you can see, the Boomba plug is a little taller, but both plugs should seal the same. I plan on powder painting the Turbosmart plug black, and inserting the blanking plug into the mountune silicone hose, and using the murray clamps I purchased when I originally installed the Mountune charge pipes. These are silicone hoses, so I kinda felt it was redundant to buy another silicone hose and clamps. You could also leave the plug unpainted, or paint it black with a conventional spray paint.

The plug will replace the Symposer shown in this next photograph.

I'm thinking of leaving the symposer in its installed position, for now, since it will no longer be subject to any pressure. When I install the Razorlab Zeitronix ethanol percentage kit, I'll probably pull the symposer hose, and replace it with a grommet, so the Zeitroniz cable can pass through the firewall. This way, ill be able to save all of the OEM parts, in case I ever want to return the engine back to its original condition.

I'll add the pictures of the symposer delete plug installed in place of the symposer, to this post once it is complete.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Good price, even including shipping. Saves $6.00. Thanks for the reply.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Your welcome!

Total cost for the plug with shipping was ~$11.40...

I believe my total project cost (including shipping) for the hose, clamps, and plugs was < $20....

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I plan on getting an intake and exhaust this spring and would like to do this. I just don't know the difference between the two companies's products, pros and cons.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I plan on getting an intake and exhaust this spring and would like to do this. I just don't know the difference between the two companies's products, pros and cons.
As I said in my OP, both the Boomba and Deadhook kits are top quality. The Deadhook kit allows you to completely remove the symposer hose that mounts to the firewall. This kit does not have a hole drilled in the center of the plug, which in my opinion, is not needed. If I were going to buy a complete kit, I'd get the Deadhook kit. However, if you'd rather not remove the symposer hose that attaches to the firewall, and don't want to remove and replace the hose that attaches to the Symposer, get the Boomba kit.

If you want a less expensive alternative, disconnect the symposer, and use the Turbosmart BOV plug (38mm) for about $10.00. Getting a hose and replacement clamps kicks that up to $20.00. VS more for the other two kits.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
As I said in my OP, both the Boomba and Deadhook kits are top quality. The Deadhook kit allows you to completely remove the symposer hose that mounts to the firewall. This kit does not have a hole drilled in the center of the plug, which in my opinion, is not needed. If I were going to buy a complete kit, I'd get the Deadhook kit. However, if you'd rather not remove the symposer hose that attaches to the firewall, and don't want to remove and replace the hose that attaches to the Symposer, get the Boomba kit.

If you want a less expensive alternative, disconnect the symposer, and use the Turbosmart BOV plug (38mm) for about $10.00. Getting a hose and replacement clamps kicks that up to $20.00. VS more for the other two kits.
What's the pros and cons with removing the hose or just leaving it there? To be honest, I have no idea what I want do, other than be able to hear my intake and exhaust better and not have to make any modifications to my car; just straight plug and play with no downfalls.

OP
W

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
What's the pros and cons with removing the hose or just leaving it there? To be honest, I have no idea what I want do, other than be able to hear my intake and exhaust better and not have to make any modifications to my car; just straight plug and play with no downfalls.
If you leave the OEM hose in place, you don't have to replace the OEM, rubber hose with a silicone hose. However, the silicone hose will last longer as it is less sensitive to heat cycling, and will tend to last longer than the rubber hose. The Deadhook kit comes with special hose clamps which are a good idea with silicone hoses, as they can be cut by non-jacketed hose clamps. The OEM clamps should be replaced with shielded clamps, so this makes the Deadhook kit a better buy.

Excellent find! Again I ain't knockin either of the aformentioned products. I was interested in the Boomba because of the NPT port for my meth injection, but upon further review I think it places the nozzle further than the optimal less than 12 inches from the throttle body. I need something that can cap the charge pipe immediately like a rubber foot from a steel chair.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Excellent find! Again I ain't knockin either of the aformentioned products. I was interested in the Boomba because of the NPT port for my meth injection, but upon further review I think it places the nozzle further than the optimal less than 12 inches from the throttle body. I need something that can cap the charge pipe immediately like a rubber foot from a steel chair.
Our kit is only 1.2" off the top of the charge pipe. We don't use the long stock hose and we can drill and tap for your meth nozzle so you don't have to adapt to the 1/4npt in the other offered plug.

Thanks for the kind words westcoaST! Let me know if you ever need anything

Russ

Good idea! ;)

I did the same about a month ago and posted a quick write-up in my build thread...

Also for those that would like to save even more on the cost of the plug you can purchase Turbosmart's plug for less here...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0205-2017

View attachment 3284

[MENTION=1333]BoostBumps[/MENTION]Can you post a link to the how to? What did you use to plug the hose that goes to the cabin?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thanks for the info appreciate it what's the difference between dhm and boomba

Siestarider

If all you want is to reduce symposer noise, cutting a couple round pieces of innertube rubber slightly larger than hose ID, slide them in, and leaving it otherwise stock works fine. Two rubber discs with a 1/2" gap between them was just right to my ears.

I ordered the boomba, I'm hoping that I like without the symposer some like the sound others dont I didn't even know we had it until I found a video on YouTube. We will see

Another option I learned about on the MINI forums is to use an expandable freeze plug. They're about $3-$5. Worked great on my MINI.
This is what I did. I bought a 1 1/2" freeze plug from Advance Auto Parts and used a grinding wheel to remove a few millimeters of rubber so it would fit. It took a lot of trial and error to make sure I removed enough rubber, but that son of a gun isn't going anywhere.

Ah - Found a link to the guy who posted the tutorial I followed. Credit goes to the OP:

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-performance/1439-possibly-cheapest-mod-symposer-delete.html