Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What octane is everyone using?

What octane is everyone using?

• 87 Octane

Votes: 31 6.0%
  • 89 Octane

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • 91 Octane

Votes: 176 34.3%
  • +93 Octane

Votes: 299 58.3%

• Total voters

iso100

1000 Post Club
As with any turbo vehicle, you'll get better performance and likely mileage when the computer can run more advanced timing and higher boost without detonation due to the slower burning, high-octane fuels.

Luckily Ford has programmed the ECU with a map that still works on 87. Most manufacturers like VW, Audi, etc do not support the use of 87 octane on their turbo vehicles.

It's probably just me, but I have always put 93 in all of my vehicles. Even if the car was stock and couldn't take advantage of the increased timing I still put 93 in for the benefits of additional detergents that keep your injectors clean and the fuel system in top shape.

I think if you run the numbers between $ per mile per tank, I think the difference is very close... and heck, you bought a performance vehicle, not a base model Fiesta... surely you want the power when you need it, right?

Didn't realize it "required" premium for full performance. I'll try it and see what the difference is. I ruled out buying the new Civic Si because it required it.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Curious, what's your aversion to 93 versus 87? Just price?

Yep, it's 40-50 cents more a gallon here. That and I told my wife it didn't require premium. There again, the tank is so small, it won't make a huge difference. I was used to a 36 gallon tank of 87.

iso100

1000 Post Club
Yea, I have done comparisons in the past. At least this car has the power where you need it to "justify" premium fuel. I just drive to work and back most of the time, so it just sucks to pump premium in. Especially when you're riding in traffic. Looks to be about $5 more a tank, not a lot to cry about. It should get better mileage, which nullifies the price difference if true.
Ford still should say "premium recommended" somewhere on the car, JMO.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Also there is significant difference in the rating system of octane measurement worldwide, in the US and Europe, we use Anti-Knock Index (AKI) to measure OCT.

Usually 87 AKI regular, 89-91 AKI mid-grade, 93+ AKI for premium gas / petrol

Most everywhere else uses Research Octane Number (RON)

Typically 87 AKI = 91–93 RON, US E10 blended 93 AKI ("Premium") = 97 RON

Cost factor wise for me it's not worth the savings since I don't drive it that much. Figured an average commuter can save about $1.50-2.00 per fill-up per week by going to reg. unleaded. At the end of year you save about $75-$100.
I am completely with you on this. Friends and family sometimes ask me what gas costs here and I honestly never look until I pull up to the pump. I stop at the most convenient and clean gas stations, based on where I am going. The difference in prices around town are so negligible that I may save a dollar per full tank (if lucky). To me, it's not worth saving 50 cents to drive across town for cheaper fuel.

That said, I use 93 octane. If the station doesn't have 93, I cross the street to check another...

Shell V-power 93 octane...and if you have stations around you that sell ethanol free gas, buy that! 10% ethanol gas in RI is all we have here, which sucks

93 strictly. Here in Cincinnati it's only about .20 to .30 cents/gallon. I'm getting between 310 and 330 a tank on v.102 93 octane map which sucks when you consider the weight of the car. I do lay on it very hard almost every day since I only commute 25 miles round trip...gotta get my kicks in lol.

I remember how slow the car was when I bought it with the tank full of 87! I can't believe the dealers screw us like that!

93 strictly. Here in Cincinnati it's only about .20 to .30 cents/gallon difference between budget and premium grade. I'm getting between 310 and 330 a tank on v.102 93 octane map which sucks when you consider the weight of the car. I do lay on it very hard almost every day since I only commute 25 miles round trip...gotta get my kicks in lol.

I remember how slow the car was when I bought it with the tank full of 87! I can't believe the dealers screw us like that!

When my car came in, my sales guy and I went for the approval drive and had to gas it up...he had the dealer's cc, and before he pushed the button I said.."93 right?" and he was like..."yeah of course"!... keep your eyes peeled people!

Manual states 87 is ok tho 93 is preferred.
Gasoline 101...the lower the octane, the easier it explodes...we have racecar...we don't want easy explode...we want pistons to compress gasoline and explode at the perfect moment...which = no knock and maximum power...use racecar gasoline, because you have racecar, if this no makes sense, Fiesta Titanium!

I'm sorry do you think it's appropriate to insult me? I'm not an idiot that's why I bought an ST! don't think you need to explain everything I am on this forum to learn but I know the basics. K? Thanks.

I'm sorry do you think it's appropriate to insult me? I'm not an idiot that's why I bought an ST! don't think you need to explain everything I am on this forum to learn but I know the basics. K? Thanks.
Well, if you are even contemplating 87 octane, I just thought it was appropriate for me to lay down the basics...not trying to insult you..or maybe a little