Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Which Fiesta ST Intercooler did you choose?

Which Fiesta ST Intercooler did you choose?

• Mountune

Votes: 67 11.5%
  • PERON

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Airtec

Votes: 19 3.2%
  • ATP

Votes: 10 1.7%
  • Cobb Tuning

Votes: 74 12.6%
  • Forge Motorsport

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Levels Performance

Votes: 9 1.5%
  • Mishimoto J-Line

Votes: 32 5.5%
  • R-Sport

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Deadhook Motorsports

Votes: 47 8.0%
  • Depo Racing

Votes: 102 17.4%
  • Mishimoto (Direct Fit)

Votes: 21 3.6%
  • Modern Automotive Performance

Votes: 27 4.6%
  • Custom Performance Engineering

Votes: 40 6.8%
  • MTC

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 109 18.6%

• Total voters

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Is it any bigger, with more internal or surface area than the CP-E Delta IC? [dunno]

It is about the same price when including shipping from England.
The CP-E is bar and plate. Also Pumaspeed ran it up against there big turbo bar and plate intercooler its even stated on their website which is the same Garrett core ATP used whichis larger than the CP-E and said it outperformed it. Also they say it can handle their x47R Hybrid.

For an ST180 which is euro.
Ah ya but look at the size of it. Did you look at the pics in the links? Its pretty much the size of CP-E which fits no problem on our cars. Just because its made to fit on Euro car because thats what they have does not automtaically mean its not going to fit our crash bars.
I can contact Pumaspeed about physical dimesnions which by the pictures is fine IMO.

I wanted a CP-E till I saw this one. Shipped in U.S. dollars it comes out to around $565
I have no fear about it fitting either as the pictures quite clearly show plus they day it fits in thr stock location with no mods. The Stock Euro interooler fits on. Our cars here with no either.

There is even a guy on the forum here that just bought a Nevellracing intercooler off ebay made for the ST180 and bolted it on. He has posted about it. Another example of a intercooler that fits in the stock location of an ST180 fitting fine on our cars.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread, but I'm considering upgrading my intercooler.
Not sure if I'll do any tuning on it; I just would like to be able to continue to run 87 octane gasoline, even in summer.
So I'm not looking for maximum performance; but something better than stock.

I'm looking for a drop in (like almost exact match) with the stock intercooler as far as mounting is concerned; and preferably cheap.
The Mishimoto Z line, seems to give too small of an upgrade to justify a $200+ investment.
The next 2 in line will be:
- a A Mishimoto J-Line Intercooler
or
- b A Depo Racing Intercooler

As things stand, I think the Depot Racing intercooler sounds interesting. Don't need 90 degrees hoses.
Any other suggestions?

felopr

Not sure if I'll do any tuning on it; I just would like to be able to continue to run 87 octane gasoline, even in summer.

I'm looking for a drop in (like almost exact match) with the stock intercooler as far as mounting is concerned; and preferably cheap.
The Mishimoto Z line, seems to give too small of an upgrade to justify a $200+ investment.
or

As things stand, I think the Depot Racing intercooler sounds interesting. Don't need 90 degrees hoses.
Any other suggestions?
You must be new here
For all the good stuff at cheap prices go to motorsports.myshopify.com for all the fiesta st parts need and support a fellow active vendor from the site.
Whoosh branded intercooler is good and cheap and use code fist5 for a 5% discount at checkout

or

Any other suggestions?
That J-line is far from a direct fit. Did you see this thread here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6228-Mishimoto-J-line-installed-and-reviewed

Quite a few (myself included) have gone with a Whoosh FMIC .

As for being a "direct fit", from what I've read they all require a bit of work to jam them in. They are all larger than stock in order to provide greater cooling. As such, I believe most require you to not use all of the mounting clips that are used for the stock FMIC. So it isn't as simple as unplug old one, plug in new one. But they will fit. Plenty of install threads in here and videos on YouTube. It is just a tight fit and putting everything back on can be a challenge.

For reference, here is the amount of space at the very end of the grill with my Whoosh FMIC. If it was any larger at all, it wouldn't fit.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
That J-line is far from a direct fit. Did you see this thread here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6228-Mishimoto-J-line-installed-and-reviewed

Quite a few (myself included) have gone with a Whoosh FMIC .

As for being a "direct fit", from what I've read they all require a bit of work to jam them in. They are all larger than stock in order to provide greater cooling. As such, I believe most require you to not use all of the mounting clips that are used for the stock FMIC. So it isn't as simple as unplug old one, plug in new one. But they will fit. Plenty of install threads in here and videos on YouTube. It is just a tight fit and putting everything back on can be a challenge.

For reference, here is the amount of space at the very end of the grill with my Whoosh FMIC. If it was any larger at all, it wouldn't fit.

holy closeups batman! nice picture (great post too)

You must be new here
For all the good stuff at cheap prices go to motorsports.myshopify.com for all the fiesta st parts need and support a fellow active vendor from the site.
Whoosh branded intercooler is good and cheap and use code fist5 for a 5% discount at checkout
The site doesn't seem to work?

Rather than upgrade the intercooler for performance reasons (eg: upgrading the intercooler because you're upgrading the turbo or tuning the car),

would you think upgrading the intercooler on a bone stock ST, to be able to run lower octane, is a valid reason for the upgrade?

I mean,
would it make any sense upgrading the intercooler when driving on 87 octane (rather than on 91/93 octane with the stock intercooler) when driving in 100+F degrees weather, or
would you say the stock intercooler is good enough for a stock ST running 87 octane in all kinds of weather (mainly heat)?
or,
would you say that even with a larger intercooler, running on 87 octane fuel would still cause knocking (even if running the car mildly) on hot summer days?

Man - you just won't give it up will you? Well, I won't rehash what everyone else has already mentioned. It is odd you have an ST but are solely focused on fuel economy.

But, for my own learning I've done some reading and probably ended up reading stuff you have already seen. It looks like an upgraded FMIC may help a tiny bit since lower charge temps may help prevent an "auto-ignite"

With that said, if you are really serious about increasing economy at the expense of power, I'd look for a tune that is specific to running 87. Rather than spend the money on a FMIC, maybe ask Stratified if their canned economy/low boost tune would work. Or, spend a little more money and get a tune from any reputable tuner that includes at least one data log refinement. Get your tune, make sure you are full of 87 and start logging. Send it back and let them adjust your ECU to accommodate the fuel. Maybe, just maybe, you can find a tuner that has experience with tuning for economy and "bad gas" and they can set you up with a tune that will keep your engine in good shape.

In the end, you can just stay stock and put your faith in the ECU to adjust as necessary. But if you are going to spend money on mods for economy, I'd suggest looking for a custom economy tune.

I may be totally off, but it is a Saturday morning and I'm nursing a hangover. Someone will correct me [:p]

Random links I came across. Most seem to say the same thing. You might be okay, but should just go with recommended fuel.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/how-the-knock-detection-system-works-in-the-ecoboost/

http://www.popularmechanics.co.za/wheels/turbos-and-octane/

https://jalopnik.com/why-putting-regular-gas-into-a-car-that-needs-premium-w-1796463139

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-real-impact-of-using-wrong-fuel-octane-1785829176

https://youtu.be/dyEYaN6Y_FM?t=315

The money you are going to spend to run 87 would buy alot of 93......
I have considered that.
However, at almost $1 a gallon more for premium, it would take almost 300 gallon of fuel, or at 30MPG, 9000 miles, I'll be able to get my money back.
Not counting the MPG gains I'd get for a more efficient intercooler.

redmoe

I have considered that.
However, at almost $1 a gallon more for premium, it would take almost 300 gallon of fuel, or at 30MPG, 9000 miles, I'll be able to get my money back.
Not counting the MPG gains I'd get for a more efficient intercooler.
I doubt you will see any gain in fuel economy with just the addition of a larger ic. If you are already driving to maximize mpg you won’t be spooling the turbo much thus not heating the charge air to a point where the larger ic will really help.

I believe that SCT offers a 87 tune with their x4 tuner. Please keep in mind that there is limited pro tune support for the SCT on this platform but I do not know of any other option for 87.

If you have a local Costco their fuel price difference between premium and regular is much less significant. The improved mpg from the premium may wash out with the lower price of regular if you get your fuel there.

The cheapest option is to just run the car on 87 with slightly less fuel economy and reduced performance but leave it stock. The manual allows for 87 so if you don’t modify the car you are safe to have any unlikely issues due to the lower octane fuel covered.

I doubt you will see any gain in fuel economy with just the addition of a larger ic. If you are already driving to maximize mpg you won’t be spooling the turbo much thus not heating the charge air to a point where the larger ic will really help.

I believe that SCT offers a 87 tune with their x4 tuner. Please keep in mind that there is limited pro tune support for the SCT on this platform but I do not know of any other option for 87.

If you have a local Costco their fuel price difference between premium and regular is much less significant. The improved mpg from the premium may wash out with the lower price of regular if you get your fuel there.

The cheapest option is to just run the car on 87 with slightly less fuel economy and reduced performance but leave it stock. The manual allows for 87 so if you don’t modify the car you are safe to have any unlikely issues due to the lower octane fuel covered.
I think you're correct. One of the reasons why I upgraded from the Cruze to the Fiesta is because the 1.4 liter engine was too small to push the 3000LBS body on hot summer days.
This engine is larger, and tuned for higher HP. I think if I continue to use it just on cruze control, with minimal acceleration, the stock intercooler shouldn't be a problem, right?
I mean, I'm not going to race it especially not in hot summers. Stock should do fine?
Most of the time I accelerate to just about where the turbo starts kicking in (3-3.5k RPM).
I have taken it further, but I guess I'll just be careful not to on hotter days.