Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Predicted depreciation of our cars

Anyone want to go out on a limb and guess what kind of depreciation our cars will see?

My opinion is that they will depreciate normally for the first two years but then hold up pretty well (in comparison to it's peers) at around $15k I think it will slow down... For $15k they are a still a pretty great performance bargain.

Any opinions? Experiences? How much are people able to sell their cars for after 1-2 years with 5-20k miles?

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Considering you can get a used 2013 Focus ST for $17k, $15-16k sounds about right for a 2 year old FiST.

FocusMike

In another year I'll probably have close to 50k miles on my car, if I can get $15k for it I would be very happy. Unless Ford gives us a Fiesta RS, I would say the Fiesta ST's depreciation might be a bit slower than the Focus ST. In addition to that there were fewer Fiesta ST produced than the Focus ST which will also help with retention.

Interesting question. Either depreciation will be slow because they are so rare or possibly, being such a limited interest in this car could be higher. The fact they are are standard shift means only enthusiasts will buy them, people that are enthusiasts might be willing to pay more since they are are relatively rare.
For sure stock cars will hold value better versus heavily modded cars which tends to scare off prospective buyers. I personally would never buy a modded car and would put a car i had modded as close as possible back to stock before selling

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Given the Focus SVT didn't hold its value well at all I don't think the FiST will do that well after 5 years. I am hoping since the build quality is much better on the FiST than on the SVT and it comes with a factory turbo it will fair much better. My guess is in another year when these cars are 2 years old we'll see a few high mileage ones go on ebay for less than $15k.

Has anyone posted their lease residual? That would be a good indicator of projected depreciation.

Being a limited production niche vehicle I worry that if you were to trade it in or even take it to auction most car dealerships we have no idea what an ST is so they would just base their price on a fully loaded fiesta which will hardly have any resale value. In the private market obviously you'll do a little bit better but how long will you have to wait to find a buyer.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Has anyone posted their lease residual? That would be a good indicator of projected depreciation.
I remember going over the leasing option with the finance lady and it was something like $17k after 24 months and 20k miles. This is for a fully loaded Fiesta ST.

I remember going over the leasing option with the finance lady and it was something like $17k after 24 months and 20k miles. This is for a fully loaded Fiesta ST.
Yeah, that's about what I predicted. ~30% 2 year depreciation ie. pretty much the standard amount any new car loses value.

I bought mine used (3 months ago) with 21,000 miles (Black,Nav,Wheels) for $15,100. Seems about right in line with your predictions.

Oh man. I remember when talking numbers with my what seemed to be the entire dealership, they were giving it a really high depreciation. I think they were projecting it to be at 13 in five years. Ouch, kinda had me rethinking it for a minute.

Dealer wanted to give me 17k for my 2014 fully loaded ST with 7,000 miles... That was still in 2014 hah.

And here we are with the model being discontinued and new prices being slashed. The depreciation is the worst percentage wise that I've ever experienced from buying new. 919 brand new 2017s sitting on dealer lots just according to Autotrader. How do you compete with that on a used 2016 or earlier??

Zissou

Oh man. I remember when talking numbers with my what seemed to be the entire dealership, they were giving it a really high depreciation. I think they were projecting it to be at 13 in five years. Ouch, kinda had me rethinking it for a minute.
If that. I would guess 5 years they'd be worth $10k-$12k.

I think my 2014 with recaros goes for about $14k-$16k now

On the plus side, those of us who are keeping these forever should be able to find parts fairly cheap [thumb]

On the plus side, those of us who are keeping these forever should be able to find parts fairly cheap [thumb]
For a few years, yes. After that it will be a dwindling supply of pounded to shit rust buckets. Any fiesta ST specific components like side skirts, grille, fog lights and rear bumper covers and trims will all be unavailable new. The rear disk brake setup will probably be among the first major components to become scarce or have some completely unobtainable parts. Mustang SVO and Thunderbird T/C specific components evaporated from dealer availability by 1997. So, if your idea of "forever" is ten years, then that should work out perfectly.

Ford Community Posts