Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Predicted depreciation of our cars

I was thinking about this the other day while driving home. I was thinking about checking my air filter to see if it needs changing. Then I started to think about 10 years from now would I be able to find something as simple as an air filter. Granted it uses the same filter as a standard fiesta, but people generally think of these as throw-away cars here. 10 years from now I don't think you will see many 2013+ fiestas running around and things will have to be ordered from a warehouse. I think the term cheap parts is subjective. I don't think even now a lot of after-market parts are cheap. Compared to a FoST, I have seen the equivalent parts for our cars cost more than parts for a FoST. I can only assume that it is due to more FoSTs than FiSTs. In either case. What will end up happening is we will turn to the euro market for parts that are interchangeable as they have been on the market there for much longer and in greater quantities. Down side will be shipping.

The consumable parts are not the issue. A fiesta st specific PCM is. Or a body control module that has some ST specific feature. That will be the issue. That space in the IP currently containing the audio/Sync will be ripe for redevelopment when the support and update capability dries up. It will. Kind of a good thing the car itself is actually more entertaining than the entertainment system. I nice sort of irony.

AzNightmare

IMO, you can't even compare the FiST with other cars like the Mustang.

The Mustang has a long history to it. It has a legacy, and it's still alive and going well. Even non-car enthusiasts know what a "Mustang" is without actually knowing anything about it.

Some enthusiasts don't even know of the FiST's existence. Huge difference.
This car will leave as quickly as it came. I had hopes that momentum would catch on with the next generation (and generations to come), but that got crushed as soon as they announced the next gen isn't going to make it here.

It's realistic to see vendors not keeping stock on aftermarket parts on a car that isn't really popular (anymore).

The Fiesta ST was gushed about and lauded in every single enthusiast publication across the print and digital landscape of America. The announcement that the newest generation won't be sent over didn't hurt the popularity. The ST version never sold over 6k units a year. The real demise of Fiesta in North America was the Powershift transaxle debacle.that one really killed Fiesta's reputation with the general public. I don't think it has helped the rep of Focus at all,either.

AzNightmare

The Fiesta ST was gushed about and lauded in every single enthusiast publication across the print and digital landscape of America.
Well that's kind of the problem... when every review praised this car like no end, and it's still as rare as a unicorn with the general car community ignorant to it. Somehow, consumers weren't convinced and by passed it for other things, like JDM or something with bigger numbers or RWD.

At the end of the day, there's no fanboy following for this car. I hate the whole "fanboy" culture, but a little bit here and there wouldn't hurt. I can't recall the last time I saw a FiST spotted in one of those montage car videos on YouTube, like Krispy Media, Halcyon, Ivy Films, etc.

I think marketing at the retail level totally dropped the ball. Ford saw to it that the Fiesta ST had a huge amount of promotional push. But, the dealer side didnt have any desire to promote it. I tbink that Fiesta ST will have driving enthusiasts to the end. The wbole fanboy thing always seemed to be more centered on buyers who come in early, do alot of costly mods, beat on it till they get bored or blow it up and then move on to the next new toy. I met a local owner at a Subway sanich joint Tuesday. He just bought a 15 Perf blue and tbe clutch was smoked along with the tires. It had several other mods too. Some fanboys loss was this guys gain!

Well that's kind of the problem... when every review praised this car like no end, and it's still as rare as a unicorn with the general car community ignorant to it. Somehow, consumers weren't convinced and by passed it for other things, like JDM or something with bigger numbers or RWD.

At the end of the day, there's no fanboy following for this car. I hate the whole "fanboy" culture, but a little bit here and there wouldn't hurt. I can't recall the last time I saw a FiST spotted in one of those montage car videos on YouTube, like Krispy Media, Halcyon, Ivy Films, etc.
That's the best part about these cars. They're hidden gems that don't a have volkswagen cult following. I too used to be part of the "fanboy" culture, funny you mention those youtuber's cause my old car appeared in both Kripsy and Halcyon videos, but I've grown out of that stage to where driving is fun, instead of standing next to the lowest car in a parking lot. For me the fiesta brought back the love of driving.

That's the best part about these cars. They're hidden gems that don't a have volkswagen cult following. I too used to be part of the "fanboy" culture, funny you mention those youtuber's cause my old car appeared in both Kripsy and Halcyon videos, but I've grown out of that stage to where driving is fun, instead of standing next to the lowest car in a parking lot. For me the fiesta brought back the love of driving.
This. I had a MK6 GTI before my FiST, and they were a dime a dozen. EVERYONE has a MK6 or MK7 GTI. I ended up with the FiST over another GTI for my own reasons, but I do enjoy the exclusivity of the FiST. I rarely see them around here. Maybe 1 FiST every 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to say they are maybe almost as rare as the RS? I see Focus ST's everyday.

This. I had a MK6 GTI before my FiST, and they were a dime a dozen. EVERYONE has a MK6 or MK7 GTI. I ended up with the FiST over another GTI for my own reasons, but I do enjoy the exclusivity of the FiST. I rarely see them around here. Maybe 1 FiST every 2-3 weeks. Is it safe to say they are maybe almost as rare as the RS? I see Focus ST's everyday.
This ^^^

I rarely see a FiST more than once a month but definitely see FoSTs at least once a week.

rexdriver85

I've been trying to sell my FiST since around July. I have it listed on CL, OfferUp and LetGo. It's an absolutely babied 2015 with 21k miles on it. Can't even get close to 15k for it. Best offer I got was from Car Sense for 13k. Worst offer was from a local Ford dealer at 12.3k.

These things seem to have depreciated pretty fast.

I wouldn't have even cared as I was going to keep it for the long run, but I have other personal interests.

AzNightmare

I've been trying to sell my FiST since around July. I have it listed on CL, OfferUp and LetGo. It's an absolutely babied 2015 with 21k miles on it. Can't even get close to 15k for it. Best offer I got was from Car Sense for 13k. Worst offer was from a local Ford dealer at 12.3k.

I wouldn't have even cared as I was going to keep it for the long run, but I have other personal interests.
That's too bad... That's kind of what happens when you see another FiST on the road every 2-3 months. No one else has it, no one else wants it. If they even know it existed in the first place. lol

Wow... mines very well kept, Detailed regularly. I have 54k on the clock and was offered 9500 by Subaru this past week when I almost bought an Sti

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I'm going to be THAT guy that has his FiST for like 25 years (if I'm lucky to live that long). That means I will start looking to buy more Fiesta STs to use as spare parts or build some ridiculous project with. [raceflag]

Even if I have my eye on some other car (like I did with my Corvette Z06), the Fiesta ST is a VERY special car and extremely fun to drive. I don't go from driving my 725hp sports car to the FiST and think "geeez this car is boring!". It even does things the Vette can't do. I've owned around 60 cars since I was 18 and I'm thinking it makes it on my top 3 list.

I'm wondering if some people have sold their FiST and regret it?

That's not really all that bad for what I assume is a 3 year old car (bought in 14?)... I guess it depends what options you have etc., but I just traded my 2014 GLI with a few more miles than yours for only $12,200. Yes it's a year older than your car, but it also carried a sticker of $31,xxx when I bought it. GLI, Autobahn w/ Nav. I bought it for less than that at the time, but not by much (had it for 4 years, bought in 13). If you paid neighborhood of 20-22 for your FiST then 3 years later 12-13k in private party or trade is to be expected. Sad, but yeah.

I wonder if, in a year or so after they're gone from dealer lots and enthusiasts know they're discontinued , they'll hold value a bit better. Probably wishful thinking. Oh well.

What options do you have?

Yeah, I'm going to be THAT guy that has his FiST for like 25 years (if I'm lucky to live that long). That means I will start looking to buy more Fiesta STs to use as spare parts or build some ridiculous project with. [raceflag]

Even if I have my eye on some other car (like I did with my Corvette Z06), the Fiesta ST is a VERY special car and extremely fun to drive. I don't go from driving my 725hp sports car to the FiST and think "geeez this car is boring!". It even does things the Vette can't do. I've owned around 60 cars since I was 18 and I'm thinking it makes it on my top 3 list.

I'm wondering if some people have sold their FiST and regret it?
I regretted selling my original Fist when I got the RS. About a year later I picked up a used ST since it's such a fun and simple car. I missed the feeling of driving the Fiesta.....different from the RS. Bang for buck, the Fist wins. If I had to get rid of one for whatever reason....I think it would be the RS that goes. And in regards to the subject....I am not that surprised on the depreciation. Selling privately is a hassle and the dealers/ car buying sites don't offer much. The dealer gave me $13,000 for my 2014 Fist with 9000 miles with all options. I got some quotes for my RS recently. RS1 package, sunroof, shadow black with forged wheels.....dealer offered $29,000-$30,000 and a car buying service offered $30,000. I paid $39,800 in June 2016. I was thinking of trading it for a 2018, but that would be a terrible financial decision, so I'm keeping the 2016.

rexdriver85

That's too bad... That's kind of what happens when you see another FiST on the road every 2-3 months. No one else has it, no one else wants it. If they even know it existed in the first place. lol
Exactly. Only those in the know will appreciate or remember this thing. I feel like it's going to end up like, say, the Dodge OMNI GLH/GLHS, or other vehicles like that. Super cool versions of a car that's eventually forgotten, lol.

That's not really all that bad for what I assume is a 3 year old car (bought in 14?)... I guess it depends what options you have etc., but I just traded my 2014 GLI with a few more miles than yours for only $12,200. Yes it's a year older than your car, but it also carried a sticker of $31,xxx when I bought it. GLI, Autobahn w/ Nav. I bought it for less than that at the time, but not by much (had it for 4 years, bought in 13). If you paid neighborhood of 20-22 for your FiST then 3 years later 12-13k in private party or trade is to be expected. Sad, but yeah.

I wonder if, in a year or so after they're gone from dealer lots and enthusiasts know they're discontinued , they'll hold value a bit better. Probably wishful thinking. Oh well.
Wow, didn't think the GLI would lose that much value as well. Seems pretty spot on then. I am also hoping the value will hold at a certain point, but I just don't think enough people even know about it besides the true enthusiasts.

What options do you have?
Just a sunroof, no Recaro or NAV. When I bought it, it was the only Race Red FiST within a 200 mile radius of me actually on a dealer lot. So that's what I went with.

Actually just yesterday I paid off the car in full. Feels pretty good to have the title in hand. So who knows what I'll do with it now. lol.

I can't see myself selling this car. I owe nothing on it and hope it can go at least 100k before any major maintenance is required. Similar to pelotonracer2, my ZL1 has more than 3x the amount of power but I have quickly realized after owning this car that power isn't everything. The FiST is incredibly agile and has more than enough grunt for daily city driving thanks to that 200 lb ft of torque on tap. Every drive is always an engaging and rewarding experience. I really am in love with it.