Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

firm clutch pedal after long highway drive

Drove about 120 miles with cruise set to about 75mph. Got off the freeway and noticed the clutch was firmer than normal. Softened up after a little city driving. Same thing on my trip back home. First longish trip in the fist and never noticed that happening in any other cars. Anything to be concerned about?

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Check your brake fluid levels, the slave cylinder for the clutch takes fluid from the main reservoir.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
Will do....but wouldn't low fluid or a leak cause the pedal to go soft not firm?

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
Fluid was full and a clear/yellow color. No funky smell or anything.

Drove about 120 miles with cruise set to about 75mph. Got off the freeway and noticed the clutch was firmer than normal. Softened up after a little city driving. Same thing on my trip back home. First longish trip in the fist and never noticed that happening in any other cars. Anything to be concerned about?
If you decide to head to your dealer on this, please let me know (along with your mileage.) I'll check into how to smooth this out.

Meagan

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So, you didn't use the clutch at all during that 120 mile stint?

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
So, you didn't use the clutch at all during that 120 mile stint?
Nope....got on the freeway and did about 70-75 the whole way. Noticed it felt weird when I when to downshift on the ramp. Its been fine ever since....I drive about 20mi on the highway to work everyday.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm genuinely asking this question, I don't want you to be offended. How many manual cars have you owned?

OP
L
Thread Starter #10
I'm genuinely asking this question, I don't want you to be offended. How many manual cars have you owned?
Not offended. This is my 3rd manual car. Drove a 2008.5 mazdaspeed 3 for 4 years and a 2013 brz for 2 1/2 years. I've taken numerous long trips in those and never had a clutch feel change like that.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
3rd manual I've owned for me as well, but I've been driving manuals for about 10 years. For me, it's always been a desensitization thing when you get back on the clutch. I'm not saying it's impossible that there's an issue, though.