Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

Lol not literally a test. I'll be co driving someone else's car. I'm just frustrated that ford keeps saying the car is fine no issues blah blah blah yes the car is losing coolant at an alarming rate. I asked them to do a compression test and they said no need to do that. Instead pressure test the coolant system which by no means is a sure fire way to test a head gasket.

iso100

1000 Post Club
That has nothing to do with any 'spread'. Assuming you bought the car new, simply titling it causes an immediate depreciation as it goes from being 'new' to 'used'.
This man speaks the truth. It's new car buying 101.

Lol not literally a test. I'll be co driving someone else's car. I'm just frustrated that ford keeps saying the car is fine no issues blah blah blah yes the car is losing coolant at an alarming rate. I asked them to do a compression test and they said no need to do that. Instead pressure test the coolant system which by no means is a sure fire way to test a head gasket.
I personally would just take it some where else if they are giving you that much of a hard time about...

He is right. However we were talking about different spreads. I'm talking about the spread from them buying your car then selling it used. They would be posting my car for $21k yet only buy it for $16k. But doesn't matter at this point I'm just going to keep it and hope they use a tech that properly knows how to test for head gasket failure or any cracks/warp in the block.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
He is right. However we were talking about different spreads. I'm talking about the spread from them buying your car then selling it used. They would be posting my car for $21k yet only buy it for $16k. But doesn't matter at this point I'm just going to keep it and hope they use a tech that properly knows how to test for head gasket failure or any cracks/warp in the block.
Dealers don't always mark up used vehicles by that much, and anyone that's willing to pay a $21k asking price for a used FiST doesn't do very well at negotiations. Again, $16k is just their starting point for negotiating with you and I guarantee you can get the number to move if you were trading it on a new car there. If they wouldn't budge on it, they don't deserve to dealership or at the very least get your business.

Short story-I traded my Mk3 Focus Titanium in on my FiST. They started with the value of $16k, which was just a touch over half of the MSRP when I bought it. Just under 36k miles and two years old. By the end of the deal they gave me $18.5k for it and I signed my new loan for the loaded FiST at $24k.

A couple of weeks later I received a pm over on a Focus site that I admin about a guy posting a thread asking the community about a car that looked a lot like mine. I took a look at the thread and sure enough-it was my car. I got in touch with the prospective buyer and discussed the car with him, he checked out my build thread and later the car and was pleased with it so he bought it (and later, all of the parts I had raped from it). Final vehicle price when he bought it-$18.8k.

Tl;dr-With the way the current vehicle sales system is set up, everything is a negotiation and no spoken word is worth anything because it can (and will, if you're working at it) all change a lot before you sign paperwork. Not every dealership is intent on screwing the buyer on upfront costs, there are some (like mine) that focus on volume and would rather give up some of the front-loading in favor of having a monthly residual from a new car loan.

I'm sure the horse is fully-beaten.

Back on topic-I know you want your car fixed, but it may also be worth your time to repeatedly return to the same dealership and establish your paperwork for a lemon. If the new dealership has the same attitude of not fixing it, I would start accumulating paperwork showing the history of the problem. It's not necessarily the best option, but it's an option nonetheless and one that you must prepare for ahead of time if you want it to be favorable for you.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Very good advice being offered here.

Either find another dealer that will take care of it or go over their heads and get it resolved or approach from a lemon law perspective and prepare for that. Or negotiate on a trade if you want a different car.

You will get this resolved one way or another, just have to go about it the right way and with the mindset it will be done, is being done.

I will be taking it to another dealer if they don't look at it properly this time
Let me know how the dealer trip goes, and if you decide to seek a second opinion. I'll check out some options. What's your current mileage?

That Meagan chick from Ford on the forum seems to be a big help.
[ridinghorse] On it!

Meagan

My car is just under 18k miles. I drove it home Saturday after they said it was fine they just needed to add coolant. Then on Sunday it was low again so I attempted to drive it to the dealer and the car died on me while moving. Luckily in my neighborhood. Had it towed to the same dealer Monday morning and finally the said you were right it's a blown head gasket and that they didn't know how the tech missed it...... So they set me up a rental car and said give it about 4 days. Thank you for the help everybody.

Great that you got it resolved and they are taking care of you. Really makes you wonder why it would blow out with less than 20k on the thing ...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Glad to hear it is finally getting taken care of though it looks like they just were blowing you off and not even tested the engine, not hard to figure out a blown head gasket.

Yeah I am wondering the same thing. It's the first ever major problem iv had out of a car. Iv seen a few other people have engine replacements as well. Makes me not want to do any mods to the thing. I'll just do shocks to pair up with my mr125's and call it a day.

My car is just under 18k miles. I drove it home Saturday after they said it was fine they just needed to add coolant. Then on Sunday it was low again so I attempted to drive it to the dealer and the car died on me while moving. Luckily in my neighborhood. Had it towed to the same dealer Monday morning and finally the said you were right it's a blown head gasket and that they didn't know how the tech missed it...... So they set me up a rental car and said give it about 4 days. Thank you for the help everybody.
I can check out some additional assistance, if you'd like. Just PM me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan

Well they got the new gasket on and it's leaking again. They said the head is warped so now that's on order. I'm wondering if they even checked the condition of the engine while they had it apart. Is it possible that the block would have been damaged as well?

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #99
Well they got the new gasket on and it's leaking again. They said the head is warped so now that's on order. I'm wondering if they even checked the condition of the engine while they had it apart. Is it possible that the block would have been damaged as well?
This is why I don't pay for extended warranty's these techs are mindless parts swappers. I hope they get you fixed up.

Russ

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Sheesh, just as simple straight edge, flashlight, easy to see if warped..........terribly sorry buddy, next time try another dealer!

As for warranties, I DIY instead, only for something really major would I let them touch my car and a head gasket is not major enough.

I know not everyone can do this kind of work or wants to, etc....

I agree with Russ on extended warranties as well.