Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Wouldn't a melted piston be a symptom low speed pre-ignition? From what I've read, LSPI causes a lotttt of heat.

And LSPI is what you get when you floor it in high gears?
LSPI is super-knock and it is a pressure problem more than it is heat. A melted piston would be a sign of leaning, failed rings would be a sign of LSPI.

Yes-LSPI occurs in high-load, low-rpm situations.

DaveG99

Blown Engines

Seems like a lot of the focus guys have been blowing their motors. Recently in the North Texas ST club one guy blew his on a stage 1 cobb OTS tune. I also know 2 other focus ST guys that have blown their motor. It seams like the fiestas don't blow as much or maybe I'm just not hearing about it

I know this thread is kind of old and this doesn't really have to do with a blown engine but it may be an engine problem and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it. Soooo........I recently bought a 2016 fiesta st I did an oil change at 4000 miles using mobile 1 full synthetic. my car now has 5000 miles on it I checked the oil today and also checked to make sure the vehicle didn't have any blow by in the top end. I removed the oil cap while the engine was running and put my hand over where the oil cap would be. and I did in fact feel some pressure coming through. I don't run the car hard and I was just wondering if this was normal. im very concerned about this and was wondering if anyone else has ran into / heard of this before. a response would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I feel like a few people have already told you that this is normal and that you shouldn't be removing the fill cap while the engine is running.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I feel like a few people have already told you that this is normal and that you shouldn't be removing the fill cap while the engine is running.

Sent from my SM-G930V
Alright then I guess having other people's opinions is against the law. There's no need to be rude about it man it was a simple question. and I'm not really sure why people are acting like it's unheard of to check blow by this way? But whatever fellas sorry I asked ????????

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I don't see his reply as rude? Buy a $35 compression tester from Amazon to ease your anxiety around it. Compression tests are easy.

Or pay a shop to do that and a leak down test to really see if anything is going on.

grnmachine02

Actually that's a good way to check for blow by. It's actually fairly common. There will always be some blow by, if it's bad enough to worry about there will also be smoke coming out of the oil fill and the dipstick. I wouldn't worry about it.

Actually that's a good way to check for blow by. It's actually fairly common. There will always be some blow by, if it's bad enough to worry about there will also be smoke coming out of the oil fill and the dipstick. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you, atleast someone understands. My car has slight vapor coming from the dipstick and fill cap when the vehicle is off but I was told this was normal by several people. I was informed that it's the vapor that the pcv would be taking in with the key on engine running.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I guess I don't understand what you are looking for here? Somebody to tell you over the internet that your engine is okay or not okay?

Again, if you really want to ease your anxiety around it, get it tested!

I guess I don't understand what you are looking for here? Somebody to tell you over the internet that your engine is okay or not okay?

Again, if you really want to ease your anxiety around it, get it tested!
Nooo I really appreciate what you've done for me you've helped me understand things I didn't understand and Im thankful for it. I'm just not clear on why people act like its unheard of to check blow by this way again.

haste

1000 Post Club
I wouldn't bother removing the oil fill cap to check blow-by unless there was some huge indication of engine damage and a quick check was needed. I definitely wouldn't use it as a meter as to the overall health of the engine.

Based

This thread makes me want to sell my car and buy a car from the early 2000s. There's no reason a new car should have all these issues.

Based

Meh. All cars have issues.

Edit:// As a former tech, cars were bigger pieces of shit back then as opposed to now.
Well this is my first new car. I've had a 2003 f150 between 2013 and 2016. And I had a 97 Miata from 2015 to 2016. Not many issues and when they did have issues I could easily fix them for way less than what it costs for fixes on this new car. I just hope when the time comes for my car to break my dealership covers it in full. I've decided not to mod my car just because of the fact that if I even check the oil myself it seems to void the warranty. So hopefully that warranty is actually worth a shit.

grnmachine02

It's also my first new car. I learned working at the dealer, that having a paper trail of maintenance, and being a good customer, gets you further than not modding.

I agree that my older car is/was cheaper to fix. I got tired of driving around something that I was always worried would break however. Peace of mind is priceless.

Based

It's also my first new car. I learned working at the dealer, that having a paper trail of maintenance, and being a good customer, gets you further than not modding.

I agree that my older car is/was cheaper to fix. I got tired of driving around something that I was always worried would break however. Peace of mind is priceless.
what do you mean proper trail of maintenance?

grnmachine02

what do you mean proper trail of maintenance?
Paper trail.

Proof of doing scheduled maintenance. Basically, if you can show that you have done all the maintenance on time the dealer is more likely to go to bat for you. I know the Volvo dealer I worked at would good will things that were outside of warranty simply because the customer had taken good care of their vehicle, and could prove it.

That being said, I put an accessport on my car the day I bought it.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
To each his own. I can't drive stock so, I always say "to hell with the factory warranty". I just do my homework before I buy a car. Main reason I don't own a GTI. I like them. Look nice, nice interior, tons of mods, car is comfortable and fast. Dependability however....... not so great. If I can't enjoy my car I might as well just buy a Prius if I'm going to be worried about something breaking. Again, this is just me. I bought the FiST for its attributes, one of them being "tunability". Stock is not for me.