Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

A7xogg

To each his own. I can't drive stock so, I always say "to hell with the factory warranty". I just do my homework before I buy a car. Main reason I don't own a GTI. I like them. Look nice, nice interior, tons of mods, car is comfortable and fast. Dependability however....... not so great. If I can't enjoy my car I might as well just buy a Prius if I'm going to be worried about something breaking. Again, this is just me. I bought the FiST for its attributes, one of them being "tunability". Stock is not for me.
thats why i got rid on my gti, dependability was shit

Based

Paper trail.

Proof of doing scheduled maintenance. Basically, if you can show that you have done all the maintenance on time the dealer is more likely to go to bat for you. I know the Volvo dealer I worked at would good will things that were outside of warranty simply because the customer had taken good care of their vehicle, and could prove it.
Oh ok. Yeah I plan on paying this car off and selling it to get something else in about 3 years so I will definitely be doing regular maintenance by the ford dealer. I just haven't looked at what the maintenance intervals are yet.

Based

To each his own. I can't drive stock so, I always say "to hell with the factory warranty". I just do my homework before I buy a car. Main reason I don't own a GTI. I like them. Look nice, nice interior, tons of mods, car is comfortable and fast. Dependability however....... not so great. If I can't enjoy my car I might as well just buy a Prius if I'm going to be worried about something breaking. Again, this is just me. I bought the FiST for its attributes, one of them being "tunability". Stock is not for me.
I was in a bind. It was Saturday and I needed a car by Monday. I knew basically nothing about the ST but I test drove it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would so I bought it.

And are you not scared of blowing your engine? I can't afford to replace my engine. I could understand if these engines only had trouble when pushed very far above stock but it seems like they have problems even at stock. I can't risk having to spend a ton of money to fix my car that I already pay out the ass for just for a tune and exhaust.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I was in a bind. It was Saturday and I needed a car by Monday. I knew basically nothing about the ST but I test drove it and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would so I bought it.
I bought mine without ever driving it. I read and watched every video and review imaginable, and they all universally praised the car, so I said "I want one". So I bought one. No regrets.

grnmachine02

And are you not scared of blowing your engine? I can't afford to replace my engine. I could understand if these engines only had trouble when pushed very far above stock but it seems like they have problems even at stock. I can't risk having to spend a ton of money to fix my car that I already pay out the ass for just for a tune and exhaust.
Compared to other manufacturers (I'm looking at you Subaru) you don't really have to worry about your engine dying. Yes there are horror stories in this thread, but that's a very small sample size. The vast majority of these cars have no issues.

Based

Compared to other manufacturers (I'm looking at you Subaru) you don't really have to worry about your engine dying. Yes there are horror stories in this thread, but that's a very small sample size. The vast majority of these cars have no issues.
That's reassuring. I like the car I just don't like the fact that if I even change the exhaust or intake then my warranty is pretty much done. I love modding cars which is why I'm kind of pissed about that.

grnmachine02

That's reassuring. I like the car I just don't like the fact that if I even change the exhaust or intake then my warranty is pretty much done. I love modding cars which is why I'm kind of pissed about that.

That totally depends on the dealer. Some are dicks, and some aren't. If you put on intake and exhaust and your engine implodes, chances are they will still cover you. They have to be able to prove that your modification voided the warranty. You put a tuner on it and it explodes, then your out of luck. Any manufacturer would do this, and honestly I can't blame them. They put a lot of r&d into the factory ecm to make it safe. They can't cover what some yahoo with a laptop does. :lol:

Based

That totally depends on the dealer. Some are dicks, and some aren't. If you put on intake and exhaust and your engine implodes, chances are they will still cover you. They have to be able to prove that your modification voided the warranty. You put a tuner on it and it explodes, then your out of luck. Any manufacturer would do this, and honestly I can't blame them. They put a lot of r&d into the factory ecm to make it safe. They can't cover what some yahoo with a laptop does. :lol:
yeah I get it.

Even if I do put an exhaust, intake, and tune one my car, can't I just take all of if off if something breaks? And put the stock stuff on.

grnmachine02

yeah I get it.

Even if I do put an exhaust, intake, and tune one my car, can't I just take all of if off if something breaks? And put the stock stuff on.
If they look deep enough, they'll see the ECM was reset. They can't tell what was done, but the ECM has a reset counter. If it's more than one, and Ford doesn't have record of ever flaahing the car, it may raise eyebrows.

Granted an ECM reset also occurs when you unhook the battery. If the car comes in with an exploded engine and the ECM has been reset, they're gonna ask you questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Username: HollywoodF1
Car and Year: FiST 2014, So. California car
Mileage: 28,500
What failed: Piston #3
Modifications and tune: Cobb Stage III, professionally installed more than 20,000 miles before incident. Car never raced.
Under what circumstances did it fail: Driving relatively normally. Early morning, about 20 miles into my commute. Accelerating moderately on a surface street, about 40-45 mph, probably in 2nd gear. Weather clear, about 60-65 degrees.
Any signs prior to failure?: None. I thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over immediately, smelled a burnt rubber smell from engine. No check-engine light, but I knew something important was broken. Had the car towed to the dealership, about 4 miles away. Oil was Redline Synthetic, correct weight. Last oil change was 9 months and 8,000 miles before failure. Oil still looked good one week earlier.
Warranty?: Engine replaced under warranty-- $0 out of pocket.

Which dealership handled the claim?

I'd rather not say publicly. They did me a solid, and didn't make me grovel. I don't think that the way to repay them is to send them a line of tuner guys with blown engines. Let me say though that they sold me my car, I have the extended warranty through them, all my service is done by them, and I got my previous car serviced by them. Whether that factored into their decision is anyone's guess.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'd rather not say publicly. They did me a solid, and didn't make me grovel. I don't think that the way to repay them is to send them a line of tuner guys with blown engines. Let me say though that they sold me my car, I have the extended warranty through them, all my service is done by them, and I got my previous car serviced by them. Whether that factored into their decision is anyone's guess.
That might be a factor, but it IS cool that they did not bother to test the oil, since some dealers, IF they found a NON-Ford specced/approved oil in the sump (which Red Line is NOT, as phenomenal, and way above said 'spec' as it is), might try to fight/deny warranty for that, even as hard as it might be to PROVE the oil is what caused the piston failure, as per Magnuson-Moss act laws.

A7xogg

Username: HollywoodF1
Car and Year: FiST 2014, So. California car
Mileage: 28,500
What failed: Piston #3
Modifications and tune: Cobb Stage III, professionally installed more than 20,000 miles before incident. Car never raced.
Under what circumstances did it fail: Driving relatively normally. Early morning, about 20 miles into my commute. Accelerating moderately on a surface street, about 40-45 mph, probably in 2nd gear. Weather clear, about 60-65 degrees.
Any signs prior to failure?: None. I thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over immediately, smelled a burnt rubber smell from engine. No check-engine light, but I knew something important was broken. Had the car towed to the dealership, about 4 miles away. Oil was Redline Synthetic, correct weight. Last oil change was 9 months and 8,000 miles before failure. Oil still looked good one week earlier.
Warranty?: Engine replaced under warranty-- $0 out of pocket.
have they said what happened or what caused it?

That might be a factor, but it IS cool that they did not bother to test the oil, since some dealers, IF they found a NON-Ford specced/approved oil in the sump (which Red Line is NOT, as phenomenal, and way above said 'spec' as it is), might try to fight/deny warranty for that, even as hard as it might be to PROVE the oil is what caused the piston failure, as per Magnuson-Moss act laws.
Well, they put the Red Line in for me at one of my scheduled services, and they said that it was fine because the Red Line 5W20 meets the Ford XO-5W20-QFS specification that is listed in the Fiesta ST Supplement.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=1&pcid=21
http://www.thefiestast.com/downloads/fiesta-st-manual.pdf

have they said what happened or what caused it?
No, I wish I had some idea, so all I can offer is the observations I provided in my initial description above. Maybe someone has some additional questions they could ask me. But as for asking the dealership, I wasn't inclined to press the point since they bought me an engine.

I have a theory if anyone would care to comment on it:

When the Focus RS came out, at the last minute, the engineers put a cover plate over part of the intercooler to intentionally reduce its effectiveness. They said that an over-cooled charge can lead to condensation, and introduce a pressurized fog into the engine when it's humid out. I mentioned the conditions I was driving in, and it's normal for the air temp to be close to or at the dew point early in the morning. I was thinking it was possible that some condensate got knocked loose and inhaled into the engine. Any thoughts on this?

A7xogg

No, I wish I had some idea, so all I can offer is the observations I provided in my initial description above. Maybe someone has some additional questions they could ask me. But as for asking the dealership, I wasn't inclined to press the point since they bought me an engine.

I have a theory if anyone would care to comment on it:

When the Focus RS came out, at the last minute, the engineers put a cover plate over part of the intercooler to intentionally reduce its effectiveness. They said that an over-cooled charge can lead to condensation, and introduce a pressurized fog into the engine when it's humid out. I mentioned the conditions I was driving in, and it's normal for the air temp to be close to or at the dew point early in the morning. I was thinking it was possible that some condensate got knocked loose and inhaled into the engine. Any thoughts on this?
It would have to be something loose for condensation or something broken to leak in condensation from the outside which is a bigger issue. I have seen where people get condensation collected in the engine from people who never go past like 1800 room, which I'm 100% sure is no one in the st world cause you don't buy a st do grandma everywhere

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm in SoCal and wish I had a Ford that was cool like that

If anything happens it likely call around before anything