Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown Engine Resource Thread

DHM1

1000 Post Club
This is a repost from a thread I follow on the Focus forums. I really like the idea that we can have a sticky thread that keeps track of any engine failures we have as a Fiesta ST community. I will keep this page updated as people post. If you get or have pictures please feel free to a them!

Thank You

Russ

"I have now seen a few people mention that their engines failed. It is good to centralize this information so that we can see failure modes emerge as patterns. This will help inform the community of the common issues so that we can address or be aware of them. So if you blew your motor, fill in the information below with as much detail as possible. The more details the better but keep your personal information and details off." -Alex@Stratified

--------------------------------------------------------------
Username:
Car and Year:
Mileage:
What failed - piston, rod, injector etc?:
Modifications and tune:
Under what circumstances did it fail (WOT, cruising, what did you hear and feel?):
Any signs prior to failure?:
Warranty?:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Glad I have nothing to post,
But this is a good idea. The focus thread is pretty interesting.
I think I have only read about 1 or 2 fist engines being replaced and they were warranty claims. I think one was due to over heating.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
You know it's so good that we have this thread and that thankfully no one has anything to post in here!

On a side note, almost everyday there are new cases of Cyl #4 popping on the Focus ST boards!

I love our little 1.6! Maybe the open deck has better cooling, or the coolant is more evenly distributed or we not having the cast in exhaust manifold helps!

I know the 2.0 Ecoboost in the Escapes have been having a ton of problems. I know someone with an Escape Ecoboost that had it blow on them half way to Oklahoma. It took 6 weeks to get a new engine, even longer for a new turbo. They got it back finally, got it home, it blew again.

Really glad I went with the FiST and not the FoST.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I love our little 1.6! Maybe the open deck has better cooling, or the coolant is more evenly distributed or we not having the cast in exhaust manifold helps!
well.... Doesn't hurt that we have like 5 fiesta's making more than 200whp ( depending on which dyno, lmao ), and the focus guys are all trying to touch 300whp on a stock turbo or 400whp with a big turbo. While we're 500lbs lighter and super happy with 200whp at 4300rpm, lmao.

Plus... There is also the fact that they build like 10 focus sT's for every one fiesta ST.

Odd as it sounds, I bet the average age demographic for the focus ST is younger vs the Fist. Seems older people already kicked their kids out of the nest, while younger people need/want the space for kids. ( certainly exceptions, I'm 33 with 4 kids, so I'm on the other end of what i just said ).

At the same time.... I whole heartily agree. Nice that we don't have to worry about random acts of engines failing, while we all know pretty much nothing but a bone factory stock will be covered under warranty...

We also lucky, this engine cost almost nothing to replace vs the 2.0L or a 5.0L

airjor13

2000 Post Club
well.... Doesn't hurt that we have like 5 fiesta's making more than 200whp ( depending on which dyno, lmao ), and the focus guys are all trying to touch 300whp on a stock turbo or 400whp with a big turbo. While we're 500lbs lighter and super happy with 200whp at 4300rpm, lmao.

Plus... There is also the fact that they build like 10 focus sT's for every one fiesta ST.

Odd as it sounds, I bet the average age demographic for the focus ST is younger vs the Fist. Seems older people already kicked their kids out of the nest, while younger people need/want the space for kids. ( certainly exceptions, I'm 33 with 4 kids, so I'm on the other end of what i just said ).

At the same time.... I whole heartily agree. Nice that we don't have to worry about random acts of engines failing, while we all know pretty much nothing but a bone factory stock will be covered under warranty...

We also lucky, this engine cost almost nothing to replace vs the 2.0L or a 5.0L
Amen, its so crazy reading about it over there...hopefully this issue doesn't migrate over to the 2.3 on the RS when they start tuning them.....

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
From my experience so far, our #1 cylinder and #4 are pretty close, but #1 tens to knock the most. So when it goes, chances are, it will prob be 1 or 4

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Russ.... Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars. You go no change against the cyborg !! Lmao

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Russ.... Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars. You go no change against the cyborg !! Lmao
Funny thing about tq is it might only be 300-350 but when it's 300 plus from 4k to 7k it makes 400hp peak and hauls the mail just fine. I'll trade my current 300+ft lbs for my new 300+ft lbs any and everyday. Know what I'm saying? Lol

Russ

OP
DHM1

DHM1

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
You said numbers and stuff that mean I loose, lol.
Lol I mean this turbo has 10mm on the cyborg got to be good for something right. Really I'm just jealous that you have nice warm weather.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'm complaining to anyone that will listen about how hot it is here !! And when everyone gets tires of listening to me bitch, I bitch to myself.

Wheel size aside, housing size is like comparing states to continents, lol.

Reading through the FoST blown engine threads, it looks like detonation is the killer. Every one I have seen had a tune. I would say they are pushing the limits of the injectors or high pressure fuel pumps, but that's me speculating after a few pages. Possibly because they aren't going to colder plugs. The pics definitely prove detonation though.

I also think loading the tunes without upgrading the intercooler isn't helping.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Lol I mean this turbo has 10mm on the cyborg got to be good for something right. Really I'm just jealous that you have nice warm weather.
Yeah, that warm weather is short lived. It's getting hot again, lol. Too hot.