Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Evolution of the Green Beast

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #22
Good Job what did you use to remove it I used a orbital sander and 60 grit with about the same amount of time need though I left my from plate on as the super troopers around here like to be a pain about them for me it seems ..
Believe it or not I used a grinder and then a file to remove the burs. I was hoping the grinder would save me time but I had issues of the plastic getting so hot it would melt on top of itself.

no-pistons

Hey Pete, saw you today near Solana beach I think it was. Your car looks great with that wheels/tire combo!!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #25
Yeah! Thank you. You had the white ST on the loma sante fe signal light. I was taking my dog to the banifield pet hospital for some eye treatments. It was nice seeing another ST on the road.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #26
So I have been buzy buying things which is always nice when it comes to our cars. I now have the MP215 kit installed from Mountune. I am really happy with the performance increase and can not waiting until the MR230 comes out. Today I also installed Driving Lights behind the grill 6" in size with 6k HIDs. With this I made some foglight delete plates in orange as I am using the wiring from the OEM Foglights to run these. I also added a Relay so when I turn on my High beams these stay on. Coming up in the future I am replacing the stock pads with OEM, doing an engine and transmission oil change, rotating my tires, and installing Ford Racing Coilovers with reduced spring rates so I can use them for the street without causing back problems. I am pretty happy with the results. Still deciding on how I like the Orange delete covers, I might do black but I wanted them to stand out.

rexdriver85

Neat idea. Looks pretty cool. How's the light output at night? Do you have 6K HID in your headlamps as well?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #28
I just ordered yesterday the hid kit for the rest of my lights so I am waiting on those to come in. Also I am still waiting for nightfall to see how well these lights are.

Pete- I just purchased my FiST a few months ago. I dont plan to do autocross, just daily driving but want to know your opinion on the strut and 6 pt braces. I am thinking of doing the eibach pro kit with the sway bars. How stiff is your front end now? Any recommendations?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #30
I mainly DD my car as well (20,000 miles on it). But love to go up to the mountains at least every other week for a drive. Driving like a normal person you do not notice the extra stiffness from the 6 point and strut brace. However when you do take a corner hard there is an immediate increase of turn in from the front end. I did take my car offroad on dirt roads so that is why I went with the 6 point.

I also have both front and rear sway bars on the car from eibach and noticed a tad more understeer from the set up. Meaning you have to be a bit more aggressive to get the back end to come around as the front would push towards the limits first. Although I am fixing that by going to coilovers this week. It is not a huge increase in understeer but is noticeable at the limit.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #32
Had a long day today. Oil change, Transmission fluid change, brakes only the rear as the fronts were the wrong pad, low beam HID install, and Ford racing coilovers :) I am getting an alignment first thing in the morning so she is parked until then. Decided just for looks right now to have the front camber as far out as possible. I will dial it back to only 3 degrees of camber tomorrow though. The car is low, so far no rubbing but I will do final tests tomorrow after my alignment.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Simply sublime. I love it.

Are you sporting RB mud flaps? Did you have any issues with the front flaps hugging the body?

The lights behind the grill are fantastic - I think this will be a modification I complete before the Rally Innovations Light Bar (even though it's pretty nifty).

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #34
Got my alignment yesterday and these are the specs I went with.
Camber: L -2.2 R -2.3
Caster: L +4.1 R +3.2 (couldn't change those and within factory specs)
Toe: L -0.12 R -0.16

Super happy with the suspension and how the turn in is on the road. Went and drove it around the city for awhile before going up to the mountains and I ended up raising the front end up by about an inch and a half from the previous photos. No more rubbing or scraping, but still have to go super super super slow over speed bumps or my 6 point chassis brace will bottom out. Ask me how I know...

The rear end still pivots around when I want with the 475F/350R spring rates but the amount of front grip just blows me away. I drove on Mt. Palomar last night (SoCal) and got to experience 3 huge improvements on my car, 1 was the suspension as noted before. 2 was my light output. Going to HID Low beams made a huge difference but also the addition of the 2 spot lights made night turn to day right before my eyes. Even through heavy fog the lights cut right through and I was able to see the twisting curves of the mountain road. The 3rd and final thing was the MP215 Tune. Downhill I didn't notice it as I do not do use my throttle to accelerate hard, rather steering my car. But on the up hill where I would normally be shifting down to 2nd I could leave it in third and have enough torque to get through a turn. Granted there were still a few 2nd gear turns but the way the car climbed up the steep inclines is incredible. Before the car would casually increase in speed after a turn and then you apply light brakes for the next turn. This time it would rush up and with the perfect toe heel downshift going into the turn was just orgasmic for any driving fiend.

I am really happy with the upgrades I have chosen so far. Chassis brace, suspension, mild/factory approved tune. Now I am looking at a big brake kit. I know the wilwoods will fit under my 16" Rota Slipstream wheels. But I am curious if the mountune big brake kit will fit at 318mm rotor. I may have to give them a call and drive up to their shop and have to see first hand myself. Unless someone already has them and wants to give me the actual dimensions :) If not I am sure the wilwood kit will do just fine.

Simply sublime. I love it.

Are you sporting RB mud flaps? Did you have any issues with the front flaps hugging the body?

The lights behind the grill are fantastic - I think this will be a modification I complete before the Rally Innovations Light Bar (even though it's pretty nifty).
When I first installed the RB mud flaps they were pretty well flush to the body of the car. Now however after going through a winter they have an interesting curve around the front wheels. The rears are fine but the fronts are no longer flush. I am thinking about removing them entirely or going with the rally armor ones.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
When I first installed the RB mud flaps they were pretty well flush to the body of the car. Now however after going through a winter they have an interesting curve around the front wheels. The rears are fine but the fronts are no longer flush. I am thinking about removing them entirely or going with the rally armor ones.
No need to spend more money on them - check out my thread for info on how to get them back in line and sorted out. I wasn't too happy with how the different mounts would warp the fit but after using a rubber grommet I am happy with them again. Very happy.

Do what I did and then spend the money elsewhere is my opinion!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #37
So the OEM pads are on back order and seeing as I would like to replace my front pads now. I just bought the Wilwood front brake kit from 2J racing. I guess it was just meant to be. On my previous car (1985 Porsche 944) I upgraded the front brakes to a wilwood caliper and loved the brake bite and how much more abuse they could take. I do not think I will ever overheat my brakes on the road/mountain pass again. :)

Did you overheat before?
Are you in standard/sport/everything off mode when you are playing?

I'm digging your car and the fact that you go out and enjoy it :)

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #39
Coolant wise I have never over heated but didn't push the car that hard on hot days (100+ degree weather). Pad wise I did get significant brake fade them going down hill on Mt. Palomar on Sport mode. With everything off I have not felt the brakes get to the point of brake fade. I want to start doing autocross and a few track days here and there. But my main goal is to keep the car street friendly. As nice as it would be to go all out I want my little fiesta to be able to give it 100% on the streets and still be fun and not "I am going to die speeds." Truthfully I was going to stick with the stock oem pads but seing as they are on back order I might as well get the next best thing.