Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Evolution of the Green Beast

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #61
car is lookin good my man!

Are you doing streets of willow still?

edit: Just realized i'm basically a fan boy of yours (went back to page 1 of your thread). But every update you give.. i gotta give props hahah.
Thanks! My progress is slow as I like to enjoy the car then improve on where I think it needs it. Lots of canyon runs and autocross runs so it will be fun to see how the car does on the track. I am more interested in the coolant temps as with my current set up I have not overheated yet even pushing the car hard on 90+ degree weather days.

Yeah I will be at Streets of Willow Nov 15. You are going as well right? Tomorrow is going to be a bitter sweet day for me as I am installing all the parts I have collected for the past 2 months but I won't get to drive the car as it will be up on jack stands for a week or two.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #62
Picture heavy*

A lot was done to the car today. Most of it was a piece of cake except installing the tow hook. The drilling on that took about an hour to do. Going through the front was easy, it was the back of the crash bar that was so difficult to get through. But eventually I got it in and I am happy with the result. The hook was a bit bigger than the holes in the grill so I had to do a little trimming. But I am going to keep the tow hook on there permanently. Installing the rear torsion bar was really easy to do. That took 5 minutes including jacking the car up in the rear. I removed the spot lights and those will be up for sale locally. I eventually am going to make a removable roof light bar. That way I can decide when I want it on the car and when I don't. Oil change was done and was less messy this time around then the previous ones. I installed the skid plate which looks awesome! I am not sure on vibrations yet as it is touching my pierce 6 point brace. So I may have to put in a spacer after seeing/hearing how it drives with it on. It feels very solid and the brackets went in with ease. I do not think their will be much of any vibrations since the brace is not a moving part, but time will tell. Lastly I removed the front coilovers to be sent out tomorrow for a rebuild. I will rebuild the rears in December since it wasn't in my budget to have the fronts ones done. So the car will be sitting as you see for a week or so.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Looks good. Glad the skid plate also works with the braces. Make sure to put anti seize on the bolts as they can get stiff, or at least mine did.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #64
Looks good. Glad the skid plate also works with the braces. Make sure to put anti seize on the bolts as they can get stiff, or at least mine did.
I will make sure to go back and do that when I reinstall the suspension. I am probably going to add a spacer on the rear of the skid plate and a locking washers to get a nice snug fit without worrying that the bolts are going to back out on their own. Since I have the Boomba RMM and vibrations are a bit more than stock.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Today I changed out my bumper support from the one I bought from Rick a while back. Shaved the grill so it is fully functional and had to slightly remount the horns. I love that the grill is completely functional now! And in a few weeks I will install my J line intercooler as I forgot to grab it on the way out the door to do this. (working at my parents house which is quite from from my apartment). It took maybe 2 hours to completely remove the backside of the grill. I decided to remove it from the bumper which made my life easier but was still a long process. Enjoy the pics :)

Hey! I missed the fact that you actually changed out the bumper support...

Where did you get this one from? I may be interested in one. At this point I have cut my stock one up, notched it for my big arse lights and am welding it back up the best I can. Can't wait for more light!!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #66
Hey! I missed the fact that you actually changed out the bumper support...

Where did you get this one from? I may be interested in one. At this point I have cut my stock one up, notched it for my big arse lights and am welding it back up the best I can. Can't wait for more light!!
It was already modified by Rick when I got it. Call it a one off. Since you are already cutting and welding you could make your atock one like this as well. Just remember to extend the hood latch support rod.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
It was already modified by Rick when I got it. Call it a one off. Since you are already cutting and welding you could make your atock one like this as well. Just remember to extend the hood latch support rod.
I didn't want to do the entire length for that reason, I just went quick and dirty with simple notches cut and dropped down enough for the lights to barely clear. And I mean barely.

The DHM race crash bar will probably happen at some point I guess! That and a nice big intercooler are on my wish list now. For a car I didn't want to mod that much... Ugh... I have a problem (actually, 3...).

What brand is the skid plate? I am all about armour for my vehicles - gotta protect the asset!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #68
I didn't want to do the entire length for that reason, I just went quick and dirty with simple notches cut and dropped down enough for the lights to barely clear. And I mean barely.

The DHM race crash bar will probably happen at some point I guess! That and a nice big intercooler are on my wish list now. For a car I didn't want to mod that much... Ugh... I have a problem (actually, 3...).

What brand is the skid plate? I am all about armour for my vehicles - gotta protect the asset!
The skid plate is from "Skid plate guy" you can find him on facebook. And the DHM crash bar is a good choice for the price. I feel to have to someone cut and weld your stock crash bar it would cost as much or more than just the DHM crash bar.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #69
So after a couple track days, as you can see from the pictures. I encountered some heat issues with my Mountune intercooler. So after talking to Adam from Tune + I decided to upgrade my intercooler to the J line from Mishimoto. But as any "custom/universal part" installation may encounter there was a domino effect. Because of how big the new intercooler is I elected to remove the black undertray plastic and instead make an extension of my skidplate for better protection and aero dynamics. I know using aluminum is much heavier than abs plastic but I wanted serious protection as from time to time I take the car off on dirt roads and I didn't want my intercooler to take a beating.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Those RS's in that first photo look awesome. I haven't seen any in anything other than that blue color. The white looks awesome.

Have anymore photos of those? Ha.

And did you use the 205/45 set up for the track? How'd it hold up?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #73
Thanks guys, I am pretty sure I have more pictures of the RS cars somewhere laying around on my computer. Eventually I will find them when I have the free time. I really liked the white in person it just looked the best with the black accents in my opinion. The 205/45/16 Bridestones did wonderful on both track days that I have done. Although on track they do marble off quickly and after daily driving on them for 2 months since my last track day I am going to have to buy another set of tires if I want to go back tot the track.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #75
So after my last track day at the end of May it was brought to my attention that I was having heat issues. So this weekend I had a huge install project. I took video of all the engine bay install and will be working on posting the video up soon. So Saturday I installed the Mishimoto Thermostat, Radiator, and DHM intercooler/crashbar combo. Man was the thermostat a pain in the butt to get too. Not only do you have to remove the entire front clip/radiator but also the alternator need to be unbolted to move out of the way. I was glad I did it when I did as I do not want to go back anytime soon. Although to get to the lower radiator hose (to upgrade to silicone hoses) I would have to tilt the radiator our of the way by unbolting everything again.

Spent the whole day installing all the parts and everything went well, even my skidplate worked out. Sunday I spent the day installing my new Sparco Grid seat with harnesses. I am working on a rollbar next to add safety and a proper location to mount the top straps of the harness. Currently they are mounted in the stock rear lowers seat belt points. I have a few pictures on my phone I will upload later today. The video will probably be up in a week or two. There is a lot of footage and I want to make it at most a 30 minute video.

Siestarider

One of the things that stopped my undertray aero experiments was heat. Think your full tray reduced cooling on track?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #77
I added in some pictures from my track day on May 29th as well. In regards to your question, compared to other fiestas in my city (I work and install parts on most of them here) my coolant temps have always been cooler then others even on canyon runs. Even with tracking the car back in December stock fiesta st's were over heating with ambient temps of 50-60 degrees. I finally overheated or got close to it (245 temp) tracking in 91+ degree weather. If I am still having issues after the radiator I will get the wrc hood vents to help in releasing the hot air trapped under hood.

Any plans to gut the AC [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]? That would be an interesting how too lol.
Also is that the stock console.?
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Siestarider

I cut hood vents in mine slightly narrower than WRC, added upstream lip, believe it helps cooling but have not tested temps at hood vents, need a couple probes to get interior engine bay temps to compare to air temps and pressure drop leaving extractors, can probably figure out a heat loss at a given speed. Easier to just turn heater on Hi when oil is hitting 245 and coolant 230F. I would be delighted with 91F ambient.

I found my under tray was restricting heat loss at wheel well areas, but there is a lot going on, what first seemed simple was anything but.

Love your car. I have looked at seats till I am blue. Just cannot find a good track seat and keep air bags all functional, too complicated for me.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #80
Any plans to gut the AC [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]? That would be an interesting how too lol.
Also is that the stock console.?
Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Nah I want to keep the ac. I am planning on making a small duct under the seat to blow through the hole for the 5th harness belt. Then ill have ac seats ;) or at least a cool ass.
[MENTION=1391]Siestarider[/MENTION] I love all the data you collect and try to read every post you put up about track info. I'm working on a plug to go into the oem seat wiring to make the airbags still work. I'm pretty determined to make my undertray work. Although I have to shorten to stop at the axles to compete in the modified time attack group. So that might help with airflow coming out of the radiator. I still don't know if I want to get a carbon hood for weight and cut it for the vents or just vent my own oem hood. Decisions decisions.