Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Evolution of the Green Beast

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #121
^^^SORRY to hear this. [:(][bigcry]

Are you going to build it up fully forged, etc.?

Also, I don't think I ever asked this yet, but, how did the 225/45 Star Specs work on only 7" wide wheels (your original aftermarket setup)?

Was the turn-in very soft and 'mushy', or did the rigidity of the SS's sidewalls make up for their height?

How did they ride on the street, as compared to our 'rubber band' sidewall stockers?
Not entirely sure what I will be buying until I take the engine apart. Part of me wants to go crazy and do a huge build, the other parts wants to just fix it and get the car on the road. But Fast, Reliable, and cheap you can only have two, keeps coming in my mind. Also it has been a long time since I ran the SS so I can't tell you for certain. Never tracked on those tires in that size but it felt good in the canyons if I remember correctly.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #123
Engine removed in one day. Had some help from my best friend. Call this Day 1 of the rebuild.

[video=youtube_share;6iQVlAovR3Y]https://youtu.be/6iQVlAovR3Y[/video]

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Can't wait to see the upgraded engine and other modifications - you're not holding back on this one!

I think the LSD will make a large difference, but a final gear ratio? Going even shorter??? I thought people complain about our 1st gear being too short as is!

Good luck, can't wait for the prognosis on your engine.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #125
Can't wait to see the upgraded engine and other modifications - you're not holding back on this one!

I think the LSD will make a large difference, but a final gear ratio? Going even shorter??? I thought people complain about our 1st gear being too short as is!

For road racing or track days I would enjoy a shorter gear ratio. Probably wouldn't be as beneficial if I was launching the from a stop. But should make for an enjoyable time on track. Thanks for the feedback. I am having the while I am there moments haha.

Yeah its really not a bad idea, I imagine 1st is useless on the track so you bring all the gears down lower and closer together.... I don't track and would rather go larger for better highway fuel economy myself but either option will make the car more focused for what you like to use it for. (I would like to at least not have to shift to third for 0-60 and keep the rpms lower in 6th)[rockon]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #127
Day 2! How much does the stock flywheel weigh? And how do you package an engine to ship across the country? Watch and find out :)

[video=youtube_share;0lcDbHD0BSQ]https://youtu.be/0lcDbHD0BSQ[/video]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #133
Have you discussed the decision making process behind that selection?

I haven't looked into LSD's for these cars yet...
The main reason for me going this route is for track use. As on some road courses you want to hit the curbs for the apex of a turn. When this happens you can lift the front inside wheel off the ground or both inside wheels depending on speed. The wavetrac lsd will still put power down to the wheel touching the ground. Whereas from what I have read the Quaife and other lsd's in similar design will spin the lifted wheel as if being an open diff and waste the power delivery to the wheel in the air.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
The main reason for me going this route is for track use. As on some road courses you want to hit the curbs for the apex of a turn. When this happens you can lift the front inside wheel off the ground or both inside wheels depending on speed. The wavetrac lsd will still put power down to the wheel touching the ground. Whereas from what I have read the Quaife and other lsd's in similar design will spin the lifted wheel as if being an open diff and waste the power delivery to the wheel in the air.
Sounds like those others are very crappy designs if they don't act as a true mechanical LSD. There should be no doubt about the fact you have a mechanical LSD once it engages. IF it engages!!

I wonder if ARB makes a selectable air locker for this application... HA!!!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #137
UPDATE:

Engine was picked up on Wednesday and is on it's way to Deadhookmotorsports. I have been giving some hard thought about my budget. And as much as I would like to do everything in the transmission right now. I don't see it being possible if I also want to track my car for the 2017 season. So saying that I will be doing the engine rebuild with the clutch and flywheel upgrades. The LSD and shorter final drive will wait another year to allow me to go out on track. Because what fun is having the car all built for the racetrack when you don't get to take it there due to budget concerns? I will grab some new bushings for the car on black Friday while everything is super easy to get to. I also removed some stuff from the car to sell locally first. If they don't sell within 2 weeks I'll be posting up on here.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #138
Here is an update on what is happening with the engine rebuild and all the things I have ordered.

[video=youtube_share;yMS-pNIAmeA]https://youtu.be/yMS-pNIAmeA[/video]