Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Evolution of the Green Beast

TempeST

Thanks, both [MENTION=1391]Siestarider[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION]. That definitely sounds like a legitimate reason for the change.[thumb]

Good luck on it! and defnitely keep up the good work. love your build!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
On another note, I have almost everything for the final drive swap. I have to go back to Ford Monday morning and reorder a bearing as one of the bearings I ordered was for a the other gear shaft I am not touching. At least it is only one piece away!
I only WISH that I had the; SKILLS/FACILITY/TOOLS necessary to do that job above, and more importantly (to me at least for my purposes) the Wavetrac installation, instead of having to pay someone $2500.00+ for LABOR ALONE to do it! [:(]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #243
This week I show how to install the steering rack and sway bar bushings! For the steering rack I went with solid mounts and the sway bar has powerflex's race version.

[video=youtube_share;U-N3bunN96Q]https://youtu.be/U-N3bunN96Q[/video]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #244
This week the transmission is being taken apart in preparation for a wavetrac LSD and a shorter final drive ratio.

[video=youtube_share;qsMLSALCnww]https://youtu.be/qsMLSALCnww[/video]

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
A good tip, when installing bearings on shafts etc - put one piece in the freezer and one in the oven. They difference in temperature usually creates a large enough difference in diameters that one slips over the other. If you ever have to do this again! ha! Nice video, keep em coming!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #247
A good tip, when installing bearings on shafts etc - put one piece in the freezer and one in the oven. They difference in temperature usually creates a large enough difference in diameters that one slips over the other. If you ever have to do this again! ha! Nice video, keep em coming!
Thank you for the tip! I thought about that trick before putting the race bearings on but it was a little too late. This week I am taking a week off of the videos. Next week we will continue on.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #248
And today's viewing pleasure/teaser is brought to you by the guys at Deadhook Motorsports. Say hello to the Gen 2 pistons for the Fiesta ST.

And today's viewing pleasure/teaser is brought to you by the guys at Deadhook Motorsports. Say hello to the Gen 2 pistons for the Fiesta ST.

*heavy breathing*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #250
Next week I will be making a separate page that has the three videos to follow on the LSD and Final Drive as well as writing in my experience on the install. That way it will be an easy search for people rather then skimming through my build page.
[video=youtube_share;2hjuQzYLeQw]https://youtu.be/2hjuQzYLeQw[/video]

DangerMouse

You make me want to do things, way above my skill level. I bought steering rack bushings after your video, now I need to find a weekend to install them ha.

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #252
Update: This Saturday I spent putting the transmission back together. It took me 5-6 hours with help to piece it all back together. Seems like a long time but we were also recording the whole process. I then spent 9 hours on Sunday editing the video. I stopped at having 27 minutes of watchable stuff and all the gears aren't sitting in the transmission yet. I may break the video up as I don't think most people want to watch a 30+ minute video of how to reassemble the transmission gears. I did my best to include all the torque specs as well as all the details and close ups of how everything fits together or comes apart. I think the most difficult physical part was torquing the ring gear to spec. The hardest mental part was putting the input and output shaft back on as it is like a jigsaw puzzle. But with all that said and done The transmission is finally back together with the new final drive, LSD, and turbotech trans mount.

You make me want to do things, way above my skill level. I bought steering rack bushings after your video, now I need to find a weekend to install them ha.
Haha thanks man! I figured most people would enjoy the through build videos or use them as a reference for their own installs.

Very nice video, thanks for that. I bet that thing will take off like a furious weasel (feel free to read that last bit in Jeremy Clarkson voice) with that LSD installed. I'd love to hear your driving impressions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Very nice video, thanks for that. I bet that thing will take off like a furious weasel (feel free to read that last bit in Jeremy Clarkson voice) with that LSD installed. I'd love to hear your driving impressions.
...as well as that steeper final drive will put him into boost/the 'meat' of the power band MUCH quicker than the factory r&p. [wink] [driving]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #258
So I decided to break the transmission video up into three parts. I will be posting the first part tomorrow morning then the second on Wednesday and the final part next Saturday. I made sure to have as much info as possible. One thing to note is that I keep the camera pointed at our hands for the majority of the video so you can see what is happening. I does bug me a little that you can't see our faces for the most part but I figure its more important to see how everything goes together. I will be working on my write up for the install this weekend as well as making a separate easy to find page for everyone to follow.

Siestarider

Fantastic detail Pete. For those who follow in your footsteps, this is the way to get all the specs perfect.

For those like me who paid a shop to do it, I seriously doubt my LSD install received the same attention to detail. Mainly because the entire job took one day.

I did make sure they used the new ring gear bolts and the rest of the install kit I bought from Mountune, as I had all the old parts saved so I could see them afterward. And I used a shop that works on race cars and made sure owner put his best man on mine.

With 20 months of use including a lot of track time, mine is still working great.

Perfect is always better, doing it yourself regardless of how much time it takes is always better if you can arrange it. Thanks for putting this together.