Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CEL : code p219a

JAD

So last night the CEL popped up on my car.
uploadfromtaptalk1424999876816.jpg

The light was still on the next morning when I drove to work. The funny thing is it disappeared after work...

Got a shop to read the code for me which turned out to be p219a. A quick search of Google showed that its a common problem with Ford (focus, mustang, cmax).

My car is almost stock with the exception of brake line... The motor oil is only about 4k. The car drives fine though, didn't feel any differences.

Has any of you encountered this situation?

My mustang threw this code after I installed an off road x pipe. I had an exhaust leak. No idea what would cause it on a stock car.

This is what I found.

p219a- Air Fuel Raito Imbalance Bank 1

Possible CausesLeaking or contaminated fuel injectors, Low fuel pressure, or running out of fuel, Leaking EVAP purge valve, Exhaust or intake air system leaks, Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system, Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open, Ignition system, Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap, Base engine concerns.

What kind of fuel are you using?

Some simple things to check would be your oil cap and dipstick.

Added: Crankin beat me to it.

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #6
Checked the dipstick which was fulling pushed in. Since we don't have any oil cap, I don't think that's the problem.

I always use Shell 91 or Chev 94 with no ethanol. The light popped out shortly after refueling from a local Shell that I usually go to.

The mechanic who checked my car told me that 2 other mustangs were throwing the same code as well on the same day... Most be the weird Vancouver weather lol

Since the light is off now, I guess I will just ignore it [sleeping]

So last night the CEL popped up on my car.
View attachment 3888

The light was still on the next morning when I drove to work. The funny thing is it disappeared after work...

Got a shop to read the code for me which turned out to be p219a. A quick search of Google showed that its a common problem with Ford (focus, mustang, cmax).

My car is almost stock with the exception of brake line... The motor oil is only about 4k. The car drives fine though, didn't feel any differences.

Has any of you encountered this situation?
Hey there, JAD.

Has your dealer provided a diagnosis? Shoot me the year, current odom reading, your preferred dealer: I'll see what information I can find on this.

Nikki
Ford Service CA

caliboy15

This is weird! I just got a full tank of gas from Shell and check engine code popped up!

Checked the dipstick which was fulling pushed in. Since we don't have any oil cap, I don't think that's the problem.

I always use Shell 91 or Chev 94 with no ethanol. The light popped out shortly after refueling from a local Shell that I usually go to.

The mechanic who checked my car told me that 2 other mustangs were throwing the same code as well on the same day... Most be the weird Vancouver weather lol

Do not ever use shell gas! Anything but shell. Seriously. Years ago Shell gas ruined a fuel pump twice in my lighting until it was found an additive they use was causing it. Since then I have never gone back. Some tuners might want to chime in about shell gas as well. Randy also told me never shell gas.

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #10
Do not ever use shell gas! Anything but shell. Seriously. Years ago Shell gas ruined a fuel pump twice in my lighting until it was found an additive they use was causing it. Since then I have never gone back. Some tuners might want to chime in about shell gas as well. Randy also told me never shell gas.
Hmmmm... that's very interesting because I was using Chev 94 for the first 10k km, then switched to Shell afterwards.

Hopefully we can get some info from the tuners.

me32

1000 Post Club

I think you mean we dont have a gas cap. We do have a oil cap

Hi! Sorry for bringing up this topic...

Two weeks ago the P294A code appeared on my dashboard too. I remember that day I filled gas in a certain station and added a gas additive (Supposedly for better gas consumption) and then bam! code appeared, the car felt as a spark were malfunctioning so I took it to the dealer and after a couple of days they returned it to me saying they reprogrammed the PCM.

A week later the code appeared again, but I didn't felt any change, anyway I took it to the dealer and after that day they told me it was a "Battery sensor" that was unplugged and a vacuum.

Last Saturday, after refueling on the first station the code appeared again after 5 miles, plugged my scanner and saw it was that code. Checking on google I found the same as you guys.

I work at Ford, so I asked a calibration engineer if they knew the problem. I told him I removed my resonator and added a cobb replacement filter. He told me a leak on the pipe could be causing the issue, but yesterday, I went to a shop and they didn't found any leak. So I thought I might be putting a high-flow resonator to increase the back-pressure and see if that corrects the issue, but now that I'm reading that your car is stock but the problem is there, the only common thread is the gas.

I have to mention that today the code decided to appear again and the weather is cold and foggy (Vancouver style :)), and I read in a mustang forum that cold weather may affect readings in the adaptive air fuel sensor leading to a P2019A fault code, so could it be?

Update: The code seems to be completely off, I put the resonator back and the code has been away since last week (400km) and I noticed a better mpg.

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #13
I think you got it!

The code popped up again... probably due to a 10c degree in one day LOL.
I will finally take it in to the dealership...

I think you got it!

The code popped up again... probably due to a 10c degree in one day LOL.
I will finally take it in to the dealership...
Hey JAD,

Let's see how I can help. Send over a PM with your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number. Talk to you soon! :)

Nick

OP
JAD

JAD

Thread Starter #15
Hey JAD,

Let's see how I can help. Send over a PM with your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, and best daytime phone number. Talk to you soon! :)

Nick
Hi Nick
Already came back from the dealership. Since they require a few days of diagnosis, but they didn't have any courtesy cars. So they ended up clearing the code, and told me to go back once the code appears and they will arrange courtesy car for me next time.

Hi Nick
Already came back from the dealership. Since they require a few days of diagnosis, but they didn't have any courtesy cars. So they ended up clearing the code, and told me to go back once the code appears and they will arrange courtesy car for me next time.
Gotcha. You know where to find me should you ever need anything down the road; don't hesitate to reach out. :)

Nick

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Hmmm I always thought shell 93 was good quality gas. I've never had a problem with it.

92 wawa water (errr I mean gas) gave me issues with my previous car during tuning (07 civic si)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Hmmm I always thought shell 93 was good quality gas. I've never had a problem with it.

92 wawa water (errr I mean gas) gave me issues with my previous car during tuning (07 civic si)
Shell generally is good, but any station can get a bad batch of fuel. It's much rarer than it used to be, but still a possibility.

Shell generally is good, but any station can get a bad batch of fuel. It's much rarer than it used to be, but still a possibility.
The Shell by me is terrible. Got bad gas there more times then I can count, most recently when I tried the new nitro plus whatever it is. Depressing.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The Shell by me is terrible. Got bad gas there more times then I can count, most recently when I tried the new nitro plus whatever it is. Depressing.
That's a prime example of why I always recommend that people do their own local testing. I've seen plenty of 'advice' that certain brands are trash and the others are the best and, quite frankly, it's just not true. Shell may be the best for me and my travel route, but that means nothing to someone that doesn't live in my neighborhood driving my commute. The absolute only way to know what fuel does/doesn't work for an individual and their environment is personal testing.