Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used Oil Analysis Reports

I swear that factory fill is different than the OTS Motorcraft. The green hue of the factory fill people have noted kind of proves that as I doubt they use enough assembly lube to change the color of 5 quarts of oil.

That iron content from the break-in is why I want to change mine at 1500 miles. That just feels too high to me even though Ford Engineering may disagree with me. There is a good chance the filter is going in to bypass from too much particle load at 5000 miles.

Good report.

koozy

3000 Post Club
That iron content from the break-in is why I want to change mine at 1500 miles. That just feels too high to me even though Ford Engineering may disagree with me. There is a good chance the filter is going in to bypass from too much particle load at 5000 miles.

Good report.
knowing that the iron and other wear-in materials would be on the high side for the motor's factory fill oil is exactly why I chose to leave the factory fill oil in longer than most have. the thought was to let the wear-in particles help accelerate the break-in and wear-in process, while also having faith that the filter would do its job and capture most of the larger particles.

I have the factory installed filter and will be cutting it open to see what's inside and will post photos, etc.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Your gonna be cutting it open to remove the dang thing !!! They put the factory filter on with a 1" impact gun !!! It was breaking a crankshaft bolt loose !!!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
That's unusual. I had to purchase an oil filter wrench that grabbed the end of the filter and grabbed the filter tighter as you turned it with a wrench just to remove it. Maybe Ford got enough complaints from dealer service techs, and stopped tightening these filters so tight.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I used the only filter wrench I have for all my cars.

Have a set of those and they are awesome had one filter that was so tight the clamps went to full close before it started to twist. And with the option to use the breaker bar there is no filter that will not come off. This is the ONLY filter removal tool you will ever need.

koozy

3000 Post Club
yes, it will crush the can if it has to allowing it to get a good hold on to it while twisting it off. it's the best wrench I've had for oil filters. I don't even bother with other wrenches.

OP
B
Thread Starter #31
Very good results and the oil stayed in grade too. What brake tactic did you use?

I will have 2 coming here later this week or early next.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Very good results and the oil stayed in grade too. What brake tactic did you use?

I will have 2 coming here later this week or early next.
I think you mean break-in tactic? I didn't baby the motor or focus on keeping it under a certain rpm, nor did I push it to the upper rpms for the first 600 miles. After that I gradually increased the rpm sweep for every gear, as I was also trying to get the gearbox and syncros broken-in. I did head into the canyons as soon as I could after taking delivery of the car, because it was easier to get the motor in the rev range and load I was targeting for those early miles rather than just driving it on the streets. At about 4,500 miles I started filling up with blends of E85 and ringing the motor out getting logs and I let Blackstone know that incase fuel was found in the sample and what they could be possibly looking at. I was eager to drain the oil after the repeated pulls for data logging, especially on the factory fill, but after seeing the results I see that all was good.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I cut the factory installed filter open today. Note that the OE filter is shorter than the FL-910S, the part number on it is 1714387BM5G6714AA. The condition was pretty good, the filter media does not appear to be full of particles to the naked eye. There were some larger contaminants outside in the residual oil inside the can, but nothing that made it back into the motor as the filter was doing it's job preventing that.

LOL @ the dog nose in that pic.

Interesting about the filter, but I am 80% sure mine has the 910S on it from the factory.

rexdriver85

Mine had that smaller filter as well. I work on the Powerstrokes a lot and the factory fuel filters actually have FF molded into them denoting First Filter from the factory.

Cool findings [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

OP
B
Thread Starter #36
I think you mean break-in tactic? I didn't baby the motor or focus on keeping it under a certain rpm, nor did I push it to the upper rpms for the first 600 miles. After that I gradually increased the rpm sweep for every gear, as I was also trying to get the gearbox and syncros broken-in. I did head into the canyons as soon as I could after taking delivery of the car, because it was easier to get the motor in the rev range and load I was targeting for those early miles rather than just driving it on the streets. At about 4,500 miles I started filling up with blends of E85 and ringing the motor out getting logs and I let Blackstone know that incase fuel was found in the sample and what they could be possibly looking at. I was eager to drain the oil after the repeated pulls for data logging, especially on the factory fill, but after seeing the results I see that all was good.
Looks like the back sealing worked then given the grade. I've pretty much done the same thing so we will see how my uoas come out.

OP
B
Thread Starter #37
LOL @ the dog nose in that pic.

Interesting about the filter, but I am 80% sure mine has the 910S on it from the factory.
I think mine is too. We will see I guess. Mine is coming off toward the end of this month.

OP
B
Thread Starter #39
Here are my latest. The 2/15 sample is Valvoline 5w20 mineral and the 3/22 sample is Valvoline 5w30 mineral. Run in was complete with the 3/22 sample which consisted of hard but staged throttle application and back sealing.

Attachments

Nice samples.

BTW, I looked an mine does have the smaller FoMoCo filter on it.