Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used Oil Analysis Reports

rexdriver85

Well here's my first one. Changed oil at 290. This one is a little different than Blackstone which I probably should I have went with. We are a CAT dealer at my shop so it cost me nothing to get UOA through them.

Testing looks to be the same as Blackstone but the notes reflect someone who is used to doing UOA on heavy diesel equipment haha.

I'm happy to know I got a lot of the wear metals out early.

What do you guys think of the report?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429825461.707850.jpg

OP
B
Thread Starter #64
Looks good man. Maybe less fuel than the rest of us at this point too. CAT should be just as good as a Bstone at least so I see no reason to pay if you get them free.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Weird. Would you mind asking BStone to re-run? They will typically do that when prompted from what I've experienced. The wear metal is near phenomenal, but the increase in viscosity from oxidation can indicate the potential for sludge. As you can agree this would be highly unlikely with Amsoil.
Here is what Blackstone said: "We test the high temp 210F in our standard analysis, and at that temp, the viscosity is in the 5W/20 range. It's at the top of that range, but still within spec. I had the viscosity tested once more, and the results came back the same.

We do offer a low temp viscosity (LTV), but that is a separate test and an additional cost.

Sorry for any confusion.

Samir Kharbas
Blackstone Laboratories"

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My car has 29k miles on it and still runs.... So my oil analysis test is looking good, lol.

OP
B
Thread Starter #67
Here is what Blackstone said: "We test the high temp 210F in our standard analysis, and at that temp, the viscosity is in the 5W/20 range. It's at the top of that range, but still within spec. I had the viscosity tested once more, and the results came back the same.

We do offer a low temp viscosity (LTV), but that is a separate test and an additional cost.

Sorry for any confusion.

Samir Kharbas
Blackstone Laboratories"
Thanks for the follow up. Least the equipment seems to be in shape on their end too. I don't see any reason to worry about the LTV personally. Having a heavy 20wt isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

My car has 29k miles on it and still runs.... So my oil analysis test is looking good, lol.
Lol. I agree. Use a good oil and go on with life. I'm all about maintaining and monitoring every aspect but what is to gain from the analysis. I honesty don't mean to be an ass, just seeking to understand. First forum ive seen people do this. Is it a performance car thing?

OP
B
Thread Starter #69
Lol. I agree. Use a good oil and go on with life. I'm all about maintaining and monitoring every aspect but what is to gain from the analysis. I honesty don't mean to be an ass, just seeking to understand. First forum ive seen people do this. Is it a performance car thing?
Some including Mobil 1 have indicated that metals present in UOA are indicative of wear patterns and some have contested this notion. However, it can be used as means of assessing the applicability of the oil and your maintenance habits. For example viscosity retention and TBN retention may support or refute extending the OCI. Another would be the identification of coolant in the oil pointing to a larger issue. Yet another could be fuel indicating a bad tune, short trip issues, piston seal issues, etc. Just to name off a few. In practice UOA probably serves as a heads up to get the car in for warranty work or repair for potentially catastrophic issues and more commonly extending the OCI.

I'm doing it for giggles, geek stimuli and because I have plenty of money to burn on this car with this being something that may benefit others.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think its pretty cool :)
Didn't mean to make it seem like a negative. If I had the time and money, I'd do it just for fun, warranty? What's that? Lol.

OP
B
Thread Starter #71
I think its pretty cool :)
Didn't mean to make it seem like a negative. If I had the time and money, I'd do it just for fun, warranty? What's that? Lol.
No worries. You bring up a good point as to its value so I didn't take it as negative.

Looking at my previous post I sound like an ahole now.

What does this typically cost? Might be worth it for my truck. I have coolant that goes only God knows where. No leaks, doesn't show in the oil to my eye, can't smell it burning... Also burns oil and gets horrid mileage. Be interesting the results there, see if it points to anything.

OP
B
Thread Starter #73
What does this typically cost? Might be worth it for my truck. I have coolant that goes only God knows where. No leaks, doesn't show in the oil to my eye, can't smell it burning... Also burns oil and gets horrid mileage. Be interesting the results there, see if it points to anything.
25$ plus 2 or so shipping. Good idea to have oil looked at IMO then to rule anything there out.

If you add a TBN, it's $35. I shipped mine priority so it got there fast and I had tracking for $5.25. They got it yesterday, hoping to get results today.

I figured this was way more expensive. Hell, now for curiosity sake I am definitely running my truck's oil. Should this be done at a 3k mile oil change? I honestly don't drive the truck much and over a year it probably only has 1500 miles on the oil. I probably will change it soon anyway to switch to a synthetic oil.

You can buy the pump for $30 and pull some out of the dipstick tube any time, or at oil change time, pull the plug, let it drain for a few seconds, then put their plastic can in the stream and fill it up. You don't want to take the sample as soon as you pull the plug in case anything comes out that settled to the bottom of the pan.

The test kit is free. They send you as many as you want. You pay when you send the sample in. I pre-pay online then ship it to them.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

rexdriver85

Just got my report back. Looks normal for the factory fill drained at 1500 miles.

Looks almost the same as mine at 290 miles. Awesome report. Did you put the Motorcraft 5w20 semi back in until you reach the next interval?

Edit: Well I should say just put in because we know now the factory fill is different than the off the shelf stuff.

I agree, it's definitely different. It doesn't seem to be just the OTS blend with an additive either. The leprechauns will never give up the secret to their sauce though.

Yes, I went with Motorcraft semi 5w20 at this change. At 5000 I will change it again and switch to Pennzoil Platinum.

I agree, it's definitely different. It doesn't seem to be just the OTS blend with an additive either. The leprechauns will never give up the secret to their sauce though.

Yes, I went with Motorcraft semi 5w20 at this change. At 5000 I will change it again and switch to Pennzoil Platinum.
It's too bad there's no way to do a VOA on the factory fill. I think believe that the "greeness" of the first oil change oil is due to the factory grease and and any lubricants applied to the factory cast parts. I don't know if there is any other info on BITOG about the factory fill for Fords or if it would be vehicle specific.

Looks like a little potassium in your first sample (not significant though). I had a whole bunch in my last sample (with a small drop in my coolant). I'm doing another change this weekend so I'm hoping that it's clear.